"Perfect" albums (1 Viewer)

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
The extremely rare event.

A recorded album where every song is an absolute win, and the album as a whole would suffer without any of the songs on it. Now, "greatest hits" or "live" albums do not count. I'm talking about a record where every song was something new, so the band had no idea which songs might be considered great and which ones might be dismissed as album filler. Many bands have come close, but for me, I can can count on one hand the bands that really accomplished something it.

The Police came really close with Synchronicity, but there are a couple of songs on the album that don't measure up to the rest of it; ditto with all four of King Crimson's 80's releases (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair, and Thrak). CSNY's Deja Vu is another one that comes very close to me, but again, there's a song or two that, while good songs, aren't amazing songs like the rest of the album. I'm talking about an album where every song on it is one you'd stop and listen to any time it comes on.

The three that come to mind right away are:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

YES - Close to the Edge

Queen - A Night at the Opera

However, I'm sure some people have others, and I'd like to see what you think. Again, Live or Greatest Hits albums DO NOT COUNT.

Plus, I feel like I'm forgetting one, so maybe someone else will mention that one that is eluding my mind right now.

Master of Puppets is pretty close.

One of my friends had a band that put out an album that felt like one cohesive grouping of songs. I couldn't imagine one song without the others. So, for a semi-pro, that was an achievement.

I really enjoyed the Foo Fighters "Wasting Light" album. There were no songs I skipped over.

If we're talking any musical genre, then I would submit Trombone Shorty's "Orleans and Claiborne" and "Backatown". But I like all his stuff, so I'm biased.

CSNY's Deja Vu is another one that comes very close to me, but again, there's a song or two that, while good songs, aren't amazing songs like the rest of the album.

I like that you mentioned CSN(Y).. I’m not familiar with that particular album, but I’ve always kinda liked them and as i get older, a lot of their music really speaks to me.. i think they often get overlooked when discussing singer/songwriter/bands of that, or any, era.

Without looking at anyone else's responses, here are mine (in chronological order):

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Led Zeppelin - IV

U2 - The Joshua Tree

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom