Permanently disable or remove private browsing? (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to either permanently remove or permanently disable private browsing in Firefox 3.5 and inPrivate browsing in IE8?

I really don't want these features on my computer, and I want to be able to help my brother-in-law get it off of his computer (he has a teen and two pre-teens)

Id be willing to bet Firefox's settings can be changed in about:config configurations. Not sure about IE8 though.

If hes concerned about where they surf, give opendns a looksee.

http://www.opendns.com/

Last edited:
There's a GP setting that deals with InPrivate. You'll need to run mmc.exe as an administrator.

1. Click Start and in the Search box, type gpedit.msc to open the local Group Policy management console.
2. In the left pane, navigate to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Internet Explorer | InPrivate
3. In the right pane, double click the setting “Turn off InPrivate browsing”
4. Select Enabled and click OK to prevent the use of the In Private feature.

On a similar note, this app has recently been brought to my attention: http://www.untangle.com/. It seems relevant here.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks for this link. This seems like a very valuable tool instead of forking out all the money for a Barracuda web filter or something similar.

There's a GP setting that deals with InPrivate. You'll need to run mmc.exe as an administrator.

1. Click Start and in the Search box, type gpedit.msc to open the local Group Policy management console.
2. In the left pane, navigate to Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Internet Explorer | InPrivate
3. In the right pane, double click the setting “Turn off InPrivate browsing”
4. Select Enabled and click OK to prevent the use of the In Private feature.

Hmm, I did this and found no gpedit on the c drive.... I am using windows 7 and the gpedit* results are all on the vista partition

Hmm, I did this and found no gpedit on the c drive.... I am using windows 7 and the gpedit* results are all on the vista partition

Try typing Start -Run, typing MMC and then going to File -> Add/Remove Snap In

My installation has the Group Policy snap-in listed under there.

Thanks for this link. This seems like a very valuable tool instead of forking out all the money for a Barracuda web filter or something similar.

Please post your experiences with it. I haven't had time to fool with it, but I'm intrigued.

Please post your experiences with it. I haven't had time to fool with it, but I'm intrigued.

It'll take a while I am sure. I need to find a machine to throw it on as well as figure out Linux :)

What I'd like to know is, what does the user see if anything with untangle. We are about to try and implement opendns and do some other things.

What I'd like to know is, what does the user see if anything with untangle. We are about to try and implement opendns and do some other things.

webfilter_browser_unblock_4_now.png

I wonder if you could customize the page though.

I would hope so :hihi:

from what I understand, open dns is pretty much the same thing, only no software. we are gonna try it, then disable the users ability to change TCP/IP settings via group policy and registry.

I would hope so :hihi:

from what I understand, open dns is pretty much the same thing, only no software. we are gonna try it, then disable the users ability to change TCP/IP settings via group policy and registry.

We use OpenDNS and it is decent. I hate bringing up the stats because they take awfully long. The plus about untangle is that they provide each users stats. I don't think OpenDNS has this feature.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom