Persona 5 (1 Viewer)

Got back to this game. I think my first play through is going to take ten thousand hours. Sheesh this game is loooooong.

I've tried to see why people like this game, but I can't figure it out. Other than DDLC recently I've never gotten into playing the weeb/graphic novel games. I've watched a fair amount on twitch though when people I've already been watching play them. Ordinarily I can see why someone would get into them, especially stuff like the Yakuza series, but even weird stuff like Danganronpa or the stupid panty fighting school girl games I can understand why someone would go that far down the rabbit hole. Every time I've tuned into Persona 5 though it's been like super slow Japanese versions of mall rat conversations literally for an hour at a time. I just don't see how it's fun. It has a huge following though, so must be me.

I've tried to see why people like this game, but I can't figure it out. Other than DDLC recently I've never gotten into playing the weeb/graphic novel games. I've watched a fair amount on twitch though when people I've already been watching play them. Ordinarily I can see why someone would get into them, especially stuff like the Yakuza series, but even weird stuff like Danganronpa or the stupid panty fighting school girl games I can understand why someone would go that far down the rabbit hole. Every time I've tuned into Persona 5 though it's been like super slow Japanese versions of mall rat conversations literally for an hour at a time. I just don't see how it's fun. It has a huge following though, so must be me.

Some sections of the conversations go on too long. It's very realistic, but just long winded. I should have changed the settings to where you don't have to click to get them to continue after each sentence. It really kills the pace. I find myself powering through some dialogue though and reading it faster than they speak it.

I just went through a major plot section that took 30 minutes to get through.

I remember the second half of Xenosaga being like that, back in the day.

Otherwise, the game its self is pretty fun. But, you're right, the dialogue heavy parts can be a real drag. Too much "Japanese Culture" thrown in there to give depth.

I think if they cut back on some of the side characters, especially Ryuji, the hot head, it would flow better. When they do properly animated cut scenes, the conversation moves better, the dialogue is solid. I wish they did more cut scenes and less click, click, click read/listen.

There are also times where the game comes off as an annoying know it all, when they explain things like the differences in different regional coffee beans, etc. Like, that's too much detail. And they do it in a lot of things.

The music is really catchy though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom