Perspective (1 Viewer)

nelopiceral1

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Fully recognizing all of the areas that are concerning and need focused improvement, might I point out an overlooked fact. We are 2 last second field goals away from being 2-0. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But unfortunately, the kicking game has been woefully overlooked to say the least by the head coach for the past few years despite it being an ongoing problem.

You are what your record is. Not saying that I don't feel optimistic about what I'm seeing bc we have improved (over last year). However, reality is, we're 0-2. We have to start winning those close games.......and consistently too.

I understand the reason for optimism, but the schedule from here is not favorable and I'm not sure where we make up these two games. I do think the team is better than 0-2. We're going to have to catch some teams flat and surprise some people if we want to make the playoffs.

And I want to make the playoffs.

I understand the reason for optimism, but the schedule from here is not favorable and I'm not sure where we make up these two games. I do think the team is better than 0-2. We're going to have to catch some teams flat and surprise some people if we want to make the playoffs.

And I want to make the playoffs.

Then root for 2017. Two games in and this team is already playing for their lives next game.

Our OL is making it difficult to win these close games. Yes the OL did better protecting Drew but still has problems with defining our running game, and the offense has such a difficult time getting into the end zone.

Team is only one game off the lead. There's been more good than bad out there, officiating has been questionable, and the saints have their favorite opponent coming in next: The Birds. The sky is not falling, every season builds its own story there's a lot of football yet to play.

Fully recognizing all of the areas that are concerning and need focused improvement, might I point out an overlooked fact. We are 2 last second field goals away from being 2-0. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

How do you figure 2 last second field goals?

The Giants' game, sure the FG was kicked with 2 secs to go, but they were at the spot they kicked the FG at 1:42 left; they let the clock run out.

The Raiders' game, the Raiders marched down the field, scored a TD, then a 2-point conversion.

How do you figure 2 last second field goals?

The Giants' game, sure the FG was kicked with 2 secs to go, but they were at the spot they kicked the FG at 1:42 left; they let the clock run out.

The Raiders' game, the Raiders marched down the field, scored a TD, then a 2-point conversion.

Game 1 - We attempted a long field goal in the last seconds of the game that had the distance but veered just left of the uprights. Had we made that kick, we would have won.

Game 2 - The other team kicked the ball with :01 left in the game to win.

I know being argumentative on the internet is fun and all, but you're missing the point. There is a sentiment here that we're the most hopeless team in football, and that's just not true. It's ok to recognise where we need to get better, but there are as many things going well as going poorly. I'll give another example -- if the blocked field goal recovery is tackled short of a TD, we win the game. You can leave every other play the same in the whole game, and we still win. My point is that we're a lot closer than you realize, but it's also valid to say that 0-2 is 0-2. We don't get honorable mentions in the rankings.

not to mention, crawley on that last play to cruz that put them at the 2yd line, crawley had better chance of coming up with the ball in that position, just cruz took it from him.

Lutz missed a very makeable 50 yarder indoors. I don't fault him for the 61 yd kick.

Game 1 - We attempted a long field goal in the last seconds of the game that had the distance but veered just left of the uprights. Had we made that kick, we would have won.

Game 2 - The other team kicked the ball with :01 left in the game to win.

I know being argumentative on the internet is fun and all, but you're missing the point. There is a sentiment here that we're the most hopeless team in football, and that's just not true. It's ok to recognise where we need to get better, but there are as many things going well as going poorly. I'll give another example -- if the blocked field goal recovery is tackled short of a TD, we win the game. You can leave every other play the same in the whole game, and we still win. My point is that we're a lot closer than you realize, but it's also valid to say that 0-2 is 0-2. We don't get honorable mentions in the rankings.

No, I get the point... it is always the same: "had they made the plays, they would've won", "if", "coulda shoulda woulda". But they didn't make the plays, and they lost. It doesn't really matter if it is last second or over and done in the 3rd quarter: a loss is a loss, the record is the record, and the next game is the next game, with a different opponent under different circumstances.

No, I get the point... it is always the same: "had they made the plays, they would've won", "if", "coulda shoulda woulda". But they didn't make the plays, and they lost. It doesn't really matter if it is last second or over and done in the 3rd quarter: a loss is a loss, the record is the record, and the next game is the next game, with a different opponent under different circumstances.

You and I agree here actually. The record is the record and there are no style points. I'm just calling out the context to inform our own internal feelings about our team. There are many possible levels of competency behind 0-2 and I think we're on the higher end of that spectrum. But to your point, it's all useless unless we record more wins.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom