Pet Loans (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Millie Hill said it was love at first sight as her husband of 50 years held a pint-size Chihuahua puppy at a Puppyland pet store last summer.

Howard Hill, 95 and dealing with vascular
dementia, was worried about how quiet their home in Kent, Wash., might become when their aging dog, Mr. B, passed away. So after hurriedly signing papers at the pet store chain, the Hills walked out with the new $4,595 puppy.

When she sat down to look at the paperwork a few days later, Millie Hill quickly realized her mistake: The bundle of high-interest loans she’d signed would eventually swell to a total cost of more than $19,000.

“I felt betrayed. You don’t expect this from people who sell animals and love animals,” said Millie Hill, 85, whose husband died in November. “This should not be allowed; it should be illegal.”

A growing chorus of state legislatures agree and are taking action to outlaw high-interest loans and leasing arrangements from brick-and-mortar and online pet stores.

The deals can leave pet owners on the hook for double or triple the cost of an animal and can cripple the credit of those who can’t pay up.

Illinois banned the high-interest loans this year and California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) signed a bill on Monday that generally prohibits online pet stores — regardless of location — from being involved in financing the sale of dogs, cats or rabbits

Another 10 states have banned retail pet stores from offering leasing plans that are similar in cost and structure to car leases, meaning a failure to pay could result in a pet being seized.

“They are preying on people who are making an emotional decision,” said California state Rep. Brian Maienschein (D), who sponsored the bill. “These are not reasonable loans, the terms are predatory, in some cases doubling the cost of the pet. That’s absurd.”

The founder of Puppyland, which has six stores in four states, defended the company’s practice of using finance companies that offer the high-interest loans, arguing that it gives pet owners more flexibility.
“

These interest rates are not unique to Puppyland and Puppyland has no control over the interest rates our customers receive when working with 3rd parties for financing,” Kayla Kerr said in a statement, adding that the company has no plans to change its loan policies.

“If we were to suspend this option, it essentially narrows the choice for the customer and we would not want to do that.”

EasyPay Finance, a company that offers high-interest loans through pet stores across the nation, said they allow customers who might otherwise not qualify for a traditional loan to buy the pet of their choice. The company says its loan rates can be as high as 199 percent…….

If you don't pay it, do they come repossess the puppy?

Learn math people. I keep telling my kids they better use math on their feet, or else they will get cheated time and time again.

It should have been easily evident that the loan terms were stupid. People can't just look at the payment.

Heck, taking a loan out for a pet is stupid.

PET STORES = PUPPY MILLS. Always go to a reputable breeder if you want a pure bred or heck, every city has a shelter. I sympathize with Mr. Hill and his condition but damn!!! At the fine old age of 95 the new puppy is gonna out live Mr. Hill and more than likely Mrs. Hill. Shame on Puppyland Pet Store for selling them this dog.

I would never do this because if you want a pet, just go to a shelter and adopt one. But it's exhausting how in every facet of modern life, there isn't an area were exploitations, profiteering, fraud, etc, aren't ever-present. The stress of having to keep your head on a swivel to make sure that in any and every transaction that you enter into, you aren't bilked out of your life savings is enough to give everybody PTSD. I'm just so tired of it, it makes me not want to engage in anything. Why can't we be better than this?

Here’s my thinking…if I really really wanted a store bought pet but needed a loan to buy it, no way would I get the loan at the store. Do it the same way as when I buy a car…I already have a loan approved by my bank for X amount, that way I know what I’m looking at. BTW, I would never take out a loan for a pet, go rescue one.

She should have adopted a rescue dog. I am not feeling that sorry for her.

They want to pass bills to stop loans like this, but still let home mortages rob people blind..

But its crazy she paid 5k for a dog in the first place.. wow..

I felt betrayed. You don’t expect this from people who sell animals and love animals,” said Millie Hill

It’s been my experience that those two things don’t go together. If you want someone who loves animals, you don’t go to someone who sells them. The ones who love them are running adoptions to save the ones about to be put down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom