Pet rescue during the Katrina aftermath (1 Viewer)

Irish Saint

SURVIVORBOWL 8 CHAMPION
Reaction score
I saw a moving programme on Irish tv the other night about pet rescue after Katrina in New Orleans. The people involved sure never gave up & it was great to see so many pets returned & saved. Anybody here experience any of this at that time or got some stories to tell? All respect due of course.

My buddy rode out the storm but ended up having to leave the city a couple days later and had to leave his cat in his 1 bedroom apartment, 2 stories up in the Quarter. He ended up in Jacksonville and called me crying about his cat Lil Kim and was pretty shook up about the whole deal. Well, I think it was about two months later he gets to go back to his apartment and he is expecting to find Lil Kim dead somewhere and is freaking out. He opens the door and there is cat poop covering everything and Lil Kim looking no worse for wear greets him with a meow. No idea what that cat lived on for two months as he only had one bowl of food left.

No idea what that cat lived on for two months as he only had one bowl of food left.

Lucky he was in the quarter. Based on all the poo, he was eating something, probably those good sized FQ rats.

Good story!!! When I was in NOLA last year I saw a hug rat cross the street near the Intercontinental hotel where i was staying & when we were in the Court of 2 sisters restaurant we saw 2 mice running freely round our feet!!!

A friend of Jessica and I works for the Humane Society and about a week after the rescue efforts really got started she brought in a box of kittens at one of my units and asked Jessica if she wanted one. It seems they found the Kittens on a roof with the mother who had recently died. They say the mother fed the kittens until she died, but she had no way to go and get food for herself.

Anyway, Jessica took the runt of the litter....he was the ugliest kitten I had ever seen. We named him Deuce and still have him to this day! He's actually gotten really big, and has an attitude to match. This picture was taken over a year ago.

DeucePlaying3.jpg

A lot of individuals and corporations went above and beyond the norm to show compassion for our animal friends after Katrina. The vast majority never got any recognition or appreciation. Taco Bell was out there every single day.....

My sisters had to leave their dog at the hospital my Mom worked at when they were evacuated. The hospital allowed the employees who were required to stay during storms to bring family and pets so my Mom brought my two sisters and the family dog. When they evacuated the hospital they didn't have room on the boats for the pets. One doctor stayed behind with the intent of putting the pets to sleep if they ran out of food. It was expected they would as a couple of days had passed before the people were evacuated from the hospital. They had already run out of human food before they evacuated the hospital (I think they had some cake left from the cafeteria) and were nearly out of food for the pets.

When St. Ryan and I found my Mom and sisters in the city my sister was still completely devastated.

A couple weeks later my Dad and I drove from Houston and snuck past one of the road blocks by pretending we were with a long line of trucks going in to repair electric lines. Don't ask, it's a long and hilarious story but doesn't carry the same effect in print. Anyway, we went to the house to get cloths and keepsakes for my sisters, clean out the fridge and take some pictures for insurance purposes. There was no electricity and we assumed nothing else was working. We were there for a couple hours in the completely silent house and neighborhood when suddenly we hear a phone ringing. We just stood there and stared at each other before finally investigating the sound. It turned out to be the phone on my Dads nightstand. Seems the phone lines were working and since the phone was a normal wired phone that didn't have any type of electrical plug in it was working. We both stood there looking at the phone, shocked it was ringing, until finally my Dad answered.

It turned out to be a lady who had the dog, Buddy, in a foster home for Katrina pets in Dallas. She said she decided on a whim, at just that moment, to try the number on his name tag and see if anyone answered. It just happened she decided to try in the 4 hour window that my Dad and I were at the house all the way from Houston!

It turned out that Matthew Mcconaughey had gone to the hospital not long after my family was evacuated and got the pets. They ended up in Mississippi somehow and eventually took a plane ride to Dallas.

My parents drove up and got him a couple days later. My sister was very, very happy. Just one of the many strange stories that make up my families and I's Katrina experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom