PETA says "Hey Gillette, Hold My Beer....!" (1 Viewer)

I actually find all this somewhat interesting because I believe we're now in a transitional phase where we're moving from social justice as an earnest (if sometimes woefully misguided) concern to social justice as a cynically manipulative marketing tool. This stuff has been so boiled down to rote buzzwords and trite concepts that it doesn't feel vital or authentic anymore. It just feels like a script working overtime to meet terminology and concept quotas.

Your job is to convince people that there is nothing to see here.

There's something to see here?
my uncle, brian, believes in some skull shirt and that fluoride in water made him bald. also the internetz and wifi are pumped into the air. he is also 50 something and thinks betty rubble (this is absolutely for forking real) is the hottest woman ever.

sadly, well for, my middle brother hates him (i don’t mind, my uncle is a free comedy show), but hahaha he looks exactly like him which pisses him off even more. it is so great for me and my youngest brother (marine). we give him a lot of shirt but fork it, he’s in his 30s with a bachelors (lol history) and only recently started his second job....same as first, same company, different location, as a line cook / dishwasher. he started working at 28. he took no lead from me or my younger brother. i started at 16 then again at 18; he’s been a marine, officially, since the day he graduated high school. i have zero tolerance for his bs as i (moved out at 17) and my youngest both have bachelors (general studies for us both, represent birches) and he was just promoted to warrant officer, his dream position.

jesus fork tits. i love to ramble for no reason, but fork it. i don’t give a shirt.

what was this about again?

that's probably the most compelling thing in this thread

please continue not giving a fork or a shirt or a darn or a heck

I actually find all this somewhat interesting because I believe we're now in a transitional phase where we're moving from social justice as an earnest (if sometimes woefully misguided) concern to social justice as a cynically manipulative marketing tool. This stuff has been so boiled down to rote buzzwords and trite concepts that it doesn't feel vital or authentic anymore. It just feels like a script working overtime to meet terminology and concept quotas.

agree totally... but I wonder how 'new' it is. That is, social issues commodified. I feel like we've been here a minute already

my uncle, brian, believes in some skull shirt and that fluoride in water made him bald. also the internetz and wifi are pumped into the air. he is also 50 something and thinks betty rubble (this is absolutely for forking real) is the hottest woman ever.

sadly, well for, my middle brother hates him (i don’t mind, my uncle is a free comedy show), but hahaha he looks exactly like him which pisses him off even more. it is so great for me and my youngest brother (marine). we give him a lot of shirt but fork it, he’s in his 30s with a bachelors (lol history) and only recently started his second job....same as first, same company, different location, as a line cook / dishwasher. he started working at 28. he took no lead from me or my younger brother. i started at 16 then again at 18; he’s been a marine, officially, since the day he graduated high school. i have zero tolerance for his bs as i (moved out at 17) and my youngest both have bachelors (general studies for us both, represent birches) and he was just promoted to warrant officer, his dream position.

jesus fork tits. i love to ramble for no reason, but fork it. i don’t give a shirt.

what was this about again?
I take it you found a bar in Charlotte

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, folks... :tiphat:

Except that ‘social justice’ in its recent incarnation, was never given consideration- it was kneecapped by the status quo almost as soon as it was uttered
Black Lives Matter was trolled by All Lives Matter by the end of the day
Maybe the focus of the indignation should be leveled at the cynicism that did not allow for listening to people saying ‘we matter’

Except that ‘social justice’ in its recent incarnation, was never given consideration- it was kneecapped by the status quo almost as soon as it was uttered
Black Lives Matter was trolled by All Lives Matter by the end of the day
Maybe the focus of the indignation should be leveled at the cynicism that did not allow for listening to people saying ‘we matter’

But that's framing it by the opposition. I'm talking about the movements themselves. The people in these movements and their supporters began with total earnestness about their causes. But it's now been hijacked by marketing and branding and that does way more to reduce the vitality of something among the masses than oppositional thought. It turns it into empty catch phrases and platitudes to sell brands. When these things get mainstreamed to that degree they lose their authentic potency.

It's kind of similar to what has been termed the "Santa Clausing" of Martin Luther King. In turning him into this marketable mainstream figure that we sell to kids it kind of under sells how radical he was to society at the time. By turning what started as very genuine movements born out of serious issues into branding tools to sell razors and athletic apparel, it has the same kind of effect.

My biggest issue with PETA was their attack on Nabisco to have them change the box they used for their animal crackers. The box used to look like a barred rail car in which the animals were held, but Nabisco finally changed the box so that the animal images on the box looked more free, roaming in the jungle.

What PETA failed to tackle was the complete narrative about animal crackers. We are raising generations of kids to believe that a hippopotamus tastes exactly the same as a giraffe or an elephant. This type of misinformation campaign cannot be tolerated and must be addressed accordingly.

:idee-puis-non:

But that's framing it by the opposition. I'm talking about the movements themselves. The people in these movements and their supporters began with total earnestness about their causes. But it's now been hijacked by marketing and branding and that does way more to reduce the vitality of something among the masses than oppositional thought. It turns it into empty catch phrases and platitudes to sell brands. When these things get mainstreamed to that degree they lose their authentic potency.

It's kind of similar to what has been termed the "Santa Clausing" of Martin Luther King. In turning him into this marketable mainstream figure that we sell to kids it kind of under sells how radical he was to society at the time. By turning what started as very genuine movements born out of serious issues into branding tools to sell razors and athletic apparel, it has the same kind of effect.
I don’t disagree but am unsure what you’re offering
Is it simply a cautionary tale?
Or is there an admonition to a certain who should change their behavior?

I think all social movements have much the same arc, no?

Are you talking about the adds or Congress?

at some point, in their life, vegetables are living organisms too. what organization is protecting them?!

I am reminded of a satirical skit from the old National Lampoon Radio Hour in which vegetable loving radicals were beating on restaurant windows shouting at customers, "Don't eat the salad!"

Where I live I used to live on the other side of the building and while standing on my balcony I could see the PETA HQ. Sometimes I would stare at it while eating a hamburger.
You're a wild man.

I haven't seen this Gillette ad. What's the deal?

Atleast it's funny...Don't agree with vegan crap, but it made me laugh...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom