Pete Werner: An extensive breakdown. (1 Viewer)

I mean TRUSaint nailed it. It is quite amusing listening to everyone write off a pick, saying the guy is a Scott Shanle 2.0, but yet fail to acknowledge his ridiculous RAS score. Straight line speed mean absolutely nothing for most positions. Werner was exceptional with quick twitch and short distance movements. That is precisely what you want in a linebacker. I have no dog in the fight and reserve judgement until he sees the field. Think most on here should as well. You don’t know more than the guys paid to scout and make these picks. If he had a 1st rd grade everyone would be celebrating. Darius Leonard running a 4.71 a few years back. Guess what... every team in the NFL would kill to have him. The Anthony reference is spot on. Speed don’t matter if you have zero onfield awareness or instincts.
Give me a linebacker with 4.7 speed and fantastic instincts over a linebacker that runs a 4.5 but has no clue where to be. It’s split second reaction time that gets you in position. Werner has all the athleticism you need and then some to be successful. Combine that with his IQ and you have a good linebacker. If you want to compare to shanle go ahead, a much much more explosive and athletic shanle who can also cover? I’ll take that all day every day

you have a ton of linebackers like CJ mosely who aren’t fast but great

Last edited:
At his pro day Werner ran a 4.58-40. It's what they have listed. I really like this young man and what he can bring to our defense.
Yes, he ran a 4.58 and a 4.62... I just went research and couldn’t find anything else other then his pro day numbers. Looked at 8 or 10 sources and could not find anything other then those two numbers. No 4.68 and no 4.72

I’m actually curious why several sources list his 40 at 4.62 which was his slowest of the two times instead of the 4.58 which is the fastest of the 2.

Attachments

• 0C6FA7DC-D5B3-4092-94AC-53E7F586CDD8.png
    0C6FA7DC-D5B3-4092-94AC-53E7F586CDD8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 0646BC8C-1E2C-447E-92A9-C8B58E03D593.png
    0646BC8C-1E2C-447E-92A9-C8B58E03D593.png
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • E734F338-8804-48A6-A196-7993BD30FE62.png
    E734F338-8804-48A6-A196-7993BD30FE62.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 21
I think he can be a really good tackling machine. The only thing I don’t see is a ton of big plays from him. Not gonna see many sacks and tackles for loss I don’t think. I mean he’s not Demario but no reason why he can’t get 6-8 tackles a gm around the line of scrimmage

Stephone Anthony had 4.5 speed, but zero football IQ to use it.

Looking at all the ALL pro LB... He's right where he needs to be.

Lavonte David 4.65
Fred Warner 4.64
Darius Leonard 4.71
Demario Davis 4.61
Roaquin Smith 4.51
Devin White 4.42
Bobby Wagner 4.46

He's right in that 4.59- 4.64 range, unofficially.

That's cool and all but hardly the most important stat for LB's....would like to compare his cone and shuttle to some of those above ...

Werner - 6.9, 4.38
Davis - 7.19, 4.28
White - 7.07, 4.17
Wagner - 7.1, 4.28
Warner - 6.9, 4.28
Smith - couldn't find anything on him for cone and shuttle
Leonard - 7.37, 4.63

Those times are way more important than 40 times, they measure quickness, agility, body control, change of direction. A player can be straight line fast (40) but not quick, agile or have the body control of a player that isn't as fast....

Werner looks like he will be just fine in that regard. His 3 cone matches Warner as the best in the group...

This was a great post and makes me feel a lot better about the pick.

The more you guys analyze it the more I like our draft class. If our top 3 picks hit we should have a very good defense to help out our new QB

Thanks. The Saints under Ireland have been pretty consistent with their strategy, all of these players have the good to elite athletic ability and intelligence. The key is stay healthy and lets hope their skills translate well in to the NFL game....

I don’t want to hear about tackle numbers, which is what the writer emphasized on. Stephone Anthony had a bunch of tackles his rookie year as well. 16 TFL’s out of 186 tackles isn’t that impressive either. I’ve seen Demario have multiple TFL’s in a single game multiple times. What makes LB’s great in today’s NFL are pass coverage skills. I hope this guy works out, but I’m not holding my breath on the Saints developing LB’s. Anzalone was decent in 2018 when Mike Nolan was coaching the LB’s, but nothing else outside of that year.

I don’t want to hear about tackle numbers, which is what the writer emphasized on. Stephone Anthony had a bunch of tackles his rookie year as well. 16 TFL’s out of 186 tackles isn’t that impressive either. I’ve seen Demario have multiple TFL’s in a single game multiple times. What makes LB’s great in today’s NFL are pass coverage skills. I hope this guy works out, but I’m not holding my breath on the Saints developing LB’s. Anzalone was decent in 2018 when Mike Nolan was coaching the LB’s, but nothing else outside of that year.

Instincts and pass coverage!

I hope not. Shanle would have games where he'd record 0 or 1 tackle.
I hope he can be better but I think his floor is a solid one. Great instincts and plays tough. I liken him to Shanle because I don't see him doing well covering backs or speedy TE's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom