Peter Finney's annual New Year's sports predictions column (1 Viewer)

justdave

Hung out to dry
Reaction score
Saints close regular season with a 27-17 win over Tampa Bay to finish 12-4, looking ahead to a first-round showdown against Seattle. ... After Drew Brees throws for two touchdowns in a 24-20 win over Seahawks, Chris Ivory runs for two touchdowns in a 27-24 win over Falcons. ... In NFC title game, Saints play their way into the Super Bowl, turning back the Eagles 17-14 despite Michael Vick's 148 rushing yards. ... In AFC championship game, the Patriots and Tom Brady are too much for the Steelers in 23-10 victory. ...

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/12/peter_finneys_annual_new_years_1.html

Very optimistic, yet realistic assessment. I would make the same predictions.

Would have been good predictions, but I think he is way too vague. ;)

Here's an interesting look at his last year's predictions:

After closing out the regular season with a 27-20 loss at Carolina, the Who Dats (13-3) and Colts (15-1) await their playoff opponents. Asked about the possibility of facing Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning in a "dream" Super Bowl, New Orleans Coach Sean Payton said: "I have no comment, and you can quote me on that." Asked how he would feel facing the Saints, Manning said: "I'd feel better about it if my dad was playing quarterback."

Suddenly, there are signs of a Saints rebirth. They open the playoffs with 27-20 win over the Green Bay Packers, as Pierre Thomas sprints 16 yards for the winning score with 12 seconds remaining at the Superdome. In the NFC title game, Drew Brees throws two fourth-quarter touchdown passes to Marques Colston in a 23-17 comeback victory against the visiting Philadelphia Eagles.

• In Super Bowl XLIV, for one moment, the planet stops spinning. Garrett Hartley makes a 31-yard field goal with three seconds remaining as the Saints defeat the Colts 32-31. Brees and Manning each throw for three touchdowns.
  • Mardi Gras is re-named Who Dat Day. Payton joins Saints players on a special float at the head of the Rex Parade.
The Saints open the season with victories over the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but they lose to the Baltimore Ravens and Carolina Panthers.

The Saints lose to the Cincinnati Bengals, whip the St. Louis Rams, Atlanta Falcons and Minnesota Vikings.

The Saints bow to the Arizona Cardinals, defeat the Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks and Falcons.

The Saints lose to the Panthers and Eagles, but they beat the San Francisco 49ers and Cleveland Browns to finish 10-6 and make the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom