Saints Peter King thinks Saints HC job… is not a good spot. (1 Viewer)

Yes. No team has ever been decimated by attrition (injuries, COVID, etc) as we were last season. It’s not like our cap situation kept us from signing talented players in-season. There wasn’t anyone to sign.

The only move we should’ve made in hindsight was keeping Sanders. But Payton (incorrectly) believed in the WR room beyond MT and didn’t realize MT would be out. I’m sure we would’ve kept or replaced him had we known.

Hendrickson was walking regardless. Jenkins is good, but we had enough CBs.
LOL

That old defense was pretty dang good.

If Winston comes back and plays above average along with MT, this team will not be bad.

Exactly. We can field a playoff caliber team now and the cap stuff will be sorted in a couple years as we clear off some bad contracts that Payton gave to "his" guys. We just need to not overpay in FA and draft smart and things will be fine.

HIs biggest error is saying that we are old at several important positions. What would those be? I would agree with Jenkins at safety. Cam Jordan and Demario, maybe? Although they are both still playing at a Pro Bowl level. Who else?
That's all I know of..we're a pretty young team.

I'm even thinking of our kicker and punter. Taysom Hill is probably our oldest player on offense at 31??

It's the media. We lost our HoF QB and HoF HC of course the media is off the Saints. Cannot image why anyone would think those major changes would have the national media believing in the Saints? Until proven otherwise it is open season on how bad the Saints are gonna be. Get ready for it.

And when Brady and all the rental players leave TB this year or next, who else will compete for the NFC South? We were 2nd in the division this year even without a QB. We have a stout defense and that will win some games.
DA will win the division and get coach of the year in the next 2 years. Just watch.

And when Brady and all the rental players leave TB this year or next, who else will compete for the NFC South? We were 2nd in the division this year even without a QB. We have a stout defense and that will win some games.
DA will win the division and get coach of the year in the next 2 years. Just watch.
I like this line of thinking. Just because Sean needed to leave the Saints for a year or two before taking the Cowboys job doesn’t mean the Saints are going to collapse back into oblivion like Peter King and even some people around here think.

I believe Allen or even an outsider willing and able to keep most of the defensive staff and players intact will be given the keys to a team ready to compete for the South as long as a decent QB can be signed (hopefully Winston or better), MT comes back healthy, another WR is added via draft or FA, and OL depth is added.

I would love to see the Saints keep succeeding and competing for championships to disprove the mainstream consensus that currently thinks the Saints are a sinking ship that anyone worth anything should flee.

It's the media. We lost our HoF QB and HoF HC of course the media is off the Saints. Cannot image why anyone would think those major changes would have the national media believing in the Saints? Until proven otherwise it is open season on how bad the Saints are gonna be. Get ready for it.

It shouldn't have anything to do with believing in the Saints. This is just the usual outside media hate towards small market teams. They can't stand to see great talent come to this area because this is a market the media does not like to cover even when we are relevant. As soon as Payton announced he was stepping away, the media was already trying to push the "Sean Payton to Dallas" narrative.

The media always talks about the head coaching job being a highly coveted position, but as soon as a position with the Saints opens it's all of sudden a bad situation. Meanwhile, our Hall of Fame coach is stepping down from a position where he was given full control, left behind a great culture and organizational structure, and is probably a QB away from being in Superbowl contention again. But no...terrible place to be.

10 things I think I think:
1. Peter King doesn’t know more than an armchair qb about football.
2. See #1.
3-10. See #1.

He's 100% correct.

CSP had 100% free reign and was in lock step with Mickey.

Any new coach is going to have to deal with the problems we face in a completely different light than CSP had.

It's certainly not like he retired with a 35 year old Brees, healthy CGM, a bunch of all pros on rookie deals and cap space. The cowboys job would be easier. Taking over at KC or Buffalo would seem easier, but it's not impossible and, frankly, that situation is why I see Dennis Allen as the best bet or, at least, one of the other coaches who've come through here.

Simply put, there are some Shaq sized shoes to fill and a complicated path to walk to take over the role CSP has left.
He’s not correct.

We didn’t give big contracts to bad players. That’s what gets you in trouble.

We’ve kicked the can down the road on players who have stayed. And will continue to do so.

I think DA ultimately gets the job. But any coach who walked in to a meeting and asked a question about our cap would get a great lesson from Khai Harley on how to structure contracts and how to add talent where money appears to be invisible.

This guy is a Saints hater. What’s new? Peter Queen if you ask me..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom