Saints Peter King thinks Saints HC job… is not a good spot. (1 Viewer)

Of all the teams looking for coaches , none have the talent this team currently has. None

One thing I will never forgive SP for is letting Peter King back in his inner circle after his biased reporting on bountygate. What he did was unforgivable, and I can't understand why Payton would ever talk to him again.

Very bad assessment by King they have only 2 old players that i can think of. Jenkins and Cam.

Every team makes bad contracts. Peats isn't the greatest, MT had to be paid, Taysom helped lead the Saints to 7 wins in 9 starts
All three of those contracts were bad in hindsight. The Taysom and Peat contracts were always head scratchers. CGM deserved his contract…it’s just disappointing how things turned out. Payton leaving pretty much says what thinks our short term outlook is

Guy is telling the truth. Nobody wants to hear negative stuff about their team.....but other than overexaggerating about old players, everything he mentioned is true. Our cap situation, while it can be kicked down the road some more, is a significant issue. Ideally, you want to be in better position there so you don't run into problems like this past season when the cap decreased. 70 million over is double the next worse team.....with no real QB on the roster. That's not good, mane! The MT comment is also spot on. Did everybody forget the shirt show last year with him? At one point, I didn't think he would play another down for the Saints. That's still a possibility.

I get "defend your team" attitude, but he didn't really slam the Saints. His take is pretty accurate IMO.
I agree it's not one of the better jobs. The cap situation and lack of stability at QB are serious concerns. Managing the cap the way we did with Drew made sense but he's not here and we still owe him 20 mil. I think the Chicago and Vegas jobs are better because of the QB situation. Denver seems ready to make a run at Rogers. The only job that may be viewed as worse is Houston.

What contracts backfired? Lol

Guy is telling the truth. Nobody wants to hear negative stuff about their team.....but other than overexaggerating about old players, everything he mentioned is true. Our cap situation, while it can be kicked down the road some more, is a significant issue. Ideally, you want to be in better position there so you don't run into problems like this past season when the cap decreased. 70 million over is double the next worse team.....with no real QB on the roster. That's not good, mane! The MT comment is also spot on. Did everybody forget the shirt show last year with him? At one point, I didn't think he would play another down for the Saints. That's still a possibility.

I get "defend your team" attitude, but he didn't really slam the Saints. His take is pretty accurate IMO.
What part of Vacherie are you from?

Per King:

I mean… how long has Peter King been a NFL Insider? …How long has he seen the Saints “in cap hell” only to quickly fix their issues and be fine?
Underhill has broken it down in detail, how easily the Saints can clear a ton of cap space quite easily and without cutting anyone!

This is a playoff caliber roster that can easily be a contender once again, in pretty short order!

I’m already over the national media… have been for a long long time, but these idiots are piling on right now.

He's 100% correct.

CSP had 100% free reign and was in lock step with Mickey.

Any new coach is going to have to deal with the problems we face in a completely different light than CSP had.

It's certainly not like he retired with a 35 year old Brees, healthy CGM, a bunch of all pros on rookie deals and cap space. The cowboys job would be easier. Taking over at KC or Buffalo would seem easier, but it's not impossible and, frankly, that situation is why I see Dennis Allen as the best bet or, at least, one of the other coaches who've come through here.

Simply put, there are some Shaq sized shoes to fill and a complicated path to walk to take over the role CSP has left.

The great thing about starting your sentence "Peter King things" is that I know I don't have to read the rest of the sentence. Thanks!

He's 100% correct.

CSP had 100% free reign and was in lock step with Mickey.

Any new coach is going to have to deal with the problems we face in a completely different light than CSP had.

It's certainly not like he retired with a 35 year old Brees, healthy CGM, a bunch of all pros on rookie deals and cap space. The cowboys job would be easier. Taking over at KC or Buffalo would seem easier, but it's not impossible and, frankly, that situation is why I see Dennis Allen as the best bet or, at least, one of the other coaches who've come through here.

Simply put, there are some Shaq sized shoes to fill and a complicated path to walk to take over the role CSP has left.
But the thing is, a head coach almost never gets to inherit a contender. George Seifert was 30+ years ago. The KC and Buffalo jobs are not available. The Dallas job is only available if you are Payton (or of course, Bellichick).

Look at the jobs that actually were available this offseason to previously fired unemployed coaches. The Jags have a terrible roster and no organizational stability. The only team with a longer playoff drought than the Broncos is the Jets. etc.

The Saints' minus is cap and QB. The plus is they actually have a roster that is playoff caliber (though IMHO not at contender-level).

It is certainly a challenging job, but better, in some cases substantially, than many of the teams with a HC opening. And I believe the challenges are a reason Payton is stepping down. Indeed, if Payton believed the 2022 Saints really could be Super Bowl contenders, there is no way he would have resigned. The challenges:

1. No quarterback

2. A bad cap situation, though not as bad as some believe.

3. No quarterback

But the thing is, a head coach almost never gets to inherit a contender. George Seifert was 30+ years ago. The KC and Buffalo jobs are not available. The Dallas job is only available if you are Payton (or of course, Bellichick).

Look at the jobs that actually were available this offseason to previously fired unemployed coaches. The Jags have a terrible roster and no organizational stability. The only team with a longer playoff drought than the Broncos is the Jets. etc.

The Saints' minus is cap and QB. The plus is they actually have a roster that is playoff caliber (though IMHO not at contender-level).

I agree. YOu don't generally get handed off the 2018 Saints, but this is still not a "good" situation. That doesn't mean it's better or worse than others and that's not what he said.

He said it's not good and then stated why. He's right. Had he said, the Jaguars gig was better he'd be wron.

I agree. YOu don't generally get handed off the 2018 Saints, but this is still not a "good" situation. That doesn't mean it's better or worse than others and that's not what he said.

He said it's not good and then stated why. He's right. Had he said, the Jaguars gig was better he'd be wron.
I guess what I'm saying is he didn't say much of value.

Open head coaching jobs are almost always "not good."

I mean, unless God forbid, Andy Reid has a heart attack or something like that, a previously fired coach always walks into an open "not good" situation.

I guess what I'm saying is he didn't say much of value.

Open head coaching jobs are almost always "not good."

I mean, unless God forbid, Andy Reid has a heart attack or something like that, a previously fired coach always walks into an open "not good" situation.

absolutely. his job is to sell soap.

Was it meaningless last year?

And it's not an organizational philosophy.....it was an organizational necessity with an aging HOF QB. You kick into the "win now" mode until he hangs up his cleats. Without Drew and Sean, it would be reckless to continue to use the same approach.
Yes. No team has ever been decimated by attrition (injuries, COVID, etc) as we were last season. It’s not like our cap situation kept us from signing talented players in-season. There wasn’t anyone to sign.

The only move we should’ve made in hindsight was keeping Sanders. But Payton (incorrectly) believed in the WR room beyond MT and didn’t realize MT would be out. I’m sure we would’ve kept or replaced him had we known.

Hendrickson was walking regardless. Jenkins is good, but we had enough CBs.

And it’s 100% an organizational philosophy. If not, we would’ve just punted last year when Drew left.

Roster is too talented to just hit reset.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom