Peter King's thoughts on the Ryan hire (1 Viewer)

Once at a bar where a 2 (out of 10) dumped me.

Proceeded to drink.

Went home with what looked like a 10 through beer googles.

Woke up to a solid 6.

I'll take that every time.

If our offense performs the way it should. Then 14th and 13th is all we need.

In the history of the NFL how many teams have really been that offensive and defensive juggernaut?

Off the top of my head I can't really think of any but I'm relatively young so I'll defer to those older than me to answer that.

This is isn't highschool or college where players for the most part choose where they go based on who they want to be apart of. This is a professional league, money, location, individual lifestyle, etc. play a big factor here. If Rob Ryan can get our defense to the middle of the pack that's an improvement and it bodes well for the Saints chances of winning another championship. If he does better then **** we're a lock.

Personally I was hoping for Tomsula but the whiners blocked all talk of that. So we have who we have and I'll support him and the hire for now.
I remember a couple years ago San Diego was 1st or 2nd in both offense and defense. They were one and done so I dont think too much stock can be put in Top defense rankings. The only Defenseive catergory I care about being top ten in is Points allowed. If We rank higher in that catergory than the sky is the limit :ezbill:

King has been nothing but a butt-hurt little "peter" ever since the Saints shut him out after his "reporting" at the beginning of "bounty-gate".

That guy was never worth a darn, now that he has a grudge against us, he's even worse.

Nothing to see here... It's just a fatter version of Scooter.

You nailed it, he's butt hurt. People will still give opinions of course, but nothing else really need be said.

Peter needs to............

bY5XsDW.gif

I hate Peter King as much as I hate people who live in a stat-vaccum.

For instance, we know Texas and Arizona had pretty great defenses this year. Texas was 7th, Arizona was 12th. Guess how many yards/game separated Arizona and Dallas last year? 18. Yes, 18 yards separated the "horrible" Ryan defense and the good Arizona defense. Or 32 yards/game between the Cowboys and the Texans. Hell, 60 yards per game between the Cowboys and the 49ers.

So, if you look at some of the other teams, look how many yards/game separated them.
1. Pitt - 275
3. 49ers - 294
7 Texans - 323
12 Arizona - 337
15 Eagles - 343
19 Cowboys - 355
25 Patriots - 373
32 Saints - 440

So look at that, Ryan's Cowboys had a whopping 27 yards/game more than the mighty 49ers. Compare that to the Saints, who had 146 more than the 49ers/game. Or look how Ryan's Cowboys had almost 100 less yards/game than we did.

So when P. King talks about the 14th best defense (this year, the Rams) in the league, that is a whole 50 yards/game more than the mighty 49ers defense this year.

Saints defense was ranked 25th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed in 2009. That said, the majority of those games were huge blowouts with the defense playing a "we'll trade time for yards" in the second half just bleeding the clock. When it counted, the defense got turnovers and punts.

If Rob Ryan can get any sort of return to what the defense did in 2009, Saints will be easy Super Bowl favorites.

Ill be happier than heck if the Saints can get to 15th. With this offense if Ryan can keep offenses at 20 or less its Superbowl again. It is also hopefully going to start a build in the opposite of what the Ravens are doing. They getting old on defense, so they improving on offense. Drew will get more milage if they can get a stout defense that can take the pressure off him so it becomes less critical for him to average 375+ yards and 30+ points per game.

King is a idiot!!! While Ryan might not be our first choice, you can go to the bank it will be an upgrade over what we had last year.. Anything we do, King has a negative opinion..

Looks like you guys beat me to it but yeah look at the total defense stats here NFL Stats: by Team Category

#1 Steelers- missed the playoffs
#11 Green Bay- playoffs
#16 Vikings- playoffs
#24 Falcons-#1 seed in the NFC
#25 Patriots-#2 seed AFC
#28 Redskins-playoffs

I think you guys are right if we get a middle of the pack defense were at least a playoff team..

He didn't say it wasn't an upgrade for us.

Of course it is an upgrade.

He was basically just saying that he was a bit surprised how highly Rob Ryan seems to be regarded around the league even without the numbers to back it up.

If we're being honest with ourselves, we all were having the exact same conversation on the boards before the Saints officially made the hire.

So now that he's hired, everything we previously discussed goes out the window? Come on now.

The year before the Cowboys hired Ryan they had the 31st ranked D in the League. Last year they the 19th with half their starters out.

Rob Ryan must be a great interview. None of his last 6 defenses, in Dal+Cle+Oak, ranked better than 14th in yds allowed/13th in pts allowed.

You mean, "I'm about to say something I think is important, so I'm going to intentionally stutter, and btw I don't care if it's painful to listen to" Peter King.

I'll take that 14th ranked defense every year. That's a Super Bowl.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom