Peter King's thoughts on the Ryan hire (2 Viewers)

It doesn't matter what Peter King thinks, Rob has never had an offense that can get a lead as fast as the Saints. I'd kill for a 15th ranked defense right now

Here's Peter King's stats and accomplishments as a player and coach:

Face it...teams can't be in the the top 10 in every phase anymore. You either have to have an awesome defense and an average offense or vice versa. And going by the final score, the Super Bowl proved that offenses win championships now. All of you defensive supporters just have to face the fact that the NFL is not in the 70s anymore.

Why don't we just start supporting Payton's and Loomis's choice of Ryan and stop looking to idiots like Peter King to sanction whatever decisions the Saints make from now on.

This, even with an ok defense we would contend for the SB every year.

Its exactly this mentality that I hope we get rid of in the fan base and in the front office.

HOw about striving for excellence.

Mediocrity never wins you anything. The year we won we were top 3 in turnovers.

Not to mention, with the way SF now plays offense, we can't just be average. Same with ATL, GB, NYG.

These are better offenses now in the NFC just a small notch below ours. And if they have much better defenses than us, as in top 10, our offense won't win it for us.

it will be the same dog and pony show, a road loss 38-34.

Its exactly this mentality that I hope we get rid of in the fan base and in the front office.

HOw about striving for excellence.

Mediocrity never wins you anything. The year we won we were top 3 in turnovers.

Not to mention, with the way SF now plays offense, we can't just be average. Same with ATL, GB, NYG.

These are better offenses now in the NFC just a small notch below ours. And if they have much better defenses than us, as in top 10, our offense won't win it for us.

it will be the same dog and pony show, a road loss 38-34.

Obviously, they aren't shooting for 28th. But let's look at what you are saying.
SF - 294 yds/game (4th)
ATL - 365 yds/game (25th)
GB - 336 yds/game (11th)
NYG - 383 yds/game (31st)

So, you can see, that with a middle of the pack defense, we are automatically in the hunt. Now, when you look at the difference between the 31st defense (giants) and the 11th defense (GB) you see it is a whopping 47 yds/game.

Nobody is hoping for some crazy top notch defense, we are just hoping for a defense that helps the offense. We know our bread is buttered on one side by Payton and the other by Brees. As long as we don't give up 440 yds per game (146/game more than the 9ers) we'll be more than fine.

Thanks for the statistics but with defense there are 2 problems. First which statistic do we use, points, yards, turnovers? Probably some combination of all. Second when you look at good defenses its fairly easy to jsut tell by watching the team play. Can they get a stop when needed. Do the come up with teh big play, the crucial pick, fumble, sack, 3rd down stop short of the sticks? These may get lost in teh stats.

The niners were that type of defense, Green Bay wasn't, despite only being 11th in yards.

All I want it to have some qualities of that type of defense and not just strive to be 15th in yards or whatever other stat which means almost nothing except that you aren't the worst. Lets try to be really good in a few things instead of mediocre in a lot of things and great at nothing is my point.

Thanks for the statistics but with defense there are 2 problems. First which statistic do we use, points, yards, turnovers? Probably some combination of all. Second when you look at good defenses its fairly easy to jsut tell by watching the team play. Can they get a stop when needed. Do the come up with teh big play, the crucial pick, fumble, sack, 3rd down stop short of the sticks? These may get lost in teh stats.

The niners were that type of defense, Green Bay wasn't, despite only being 11th in yards.

All I want it to have some qualities of that type of defense and not just strive to be 15th in yards or whatever other stat which means almost nothing except that you aren't the worst. Lets try to be really good in a few things instead of mediocre in a lot of things and great at nothing is my point.

Honestly, I think you missed the point of what most are saying. The point wasn't that the team is striving to be ranked 15th in the league, the point was if they were to get to that kind of ranking then the team would more than likely be in a position to compete for a title. I'm sure we would all love to have a top ranked defense to go with the top ranked offense, but that's probably not a realistic goal, however middle of the pack is very realistic, and it still would put the team where it ultimately wanted to be. Lets face it any improvement will be welcomed after last season.

If our offense performs the way it should. Then 14th and 13th is all we need.

In the history of the NFL how many teams have really been that offensive and defensive juggernaut?

Off the top of my head I can't really think of any but I'm relatively young so I'll defer to those older than me to answer that.

Before unfettered FA began in 1994,most of your SB winning teams were highly ranked in both categories. The talent pool was simply
spread over a few select teams. Phil Simms said when he played in the 80's, there were only 3-4 teams the Giants needed to worry
about once the season started. That isn't the case today.

Since 94, I'd say the Favre and Reggie White led Packers were dominant on both sides.I'd also put NE from the early 2000's there.

Rob Ryan must be a great interview. None of his last 6 defenses, in Dal+Cle+Oak, ranked better than 14th in yds allowed/13th in pts allowed.

I'd take those rankings any day of the week compared to dead last 32 by 1,000 miles breaking NFL records along the way.

I've always been a fan of 2 statistics. First is total points allowed. The defense's job is to keep teams out of the end zone. If they are low in total points allowed they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. The other is the TD percentage to red zone trips. To me that shows that once a team gets there is your defense successful at keeping them out. Yards can be skewed by running a conservative defense between the 20s or going into a softer defense once a team is up a substantial amount. However, those two should still remain pretty solid as teams still want to keep the other out of the end zone.

In the free agency time I don't believe you can have both, and if you do it won't be for long as big paychecks start to become a factor. In New Orleans all Payton needs is a decent defense. Sure it would be nice to be top ten, but unless they are real good or real lucky in the draft the next couple of years it isn't going to happen. Or, if Ryan can come in here and teach our defense made of primarily first and second round draft picks to actually play to their potential all will be good.

As far as his defenses in Oakland and Cleveland only being in the mid teens to low 20s. Remember the massive amount of talent and commitment to winning those two teams have. Then he goes to Dallas, the first year improves, the second before injuries and the killing of teammates started the defense was doing quite well, even with players who didn't really fit his scheme perfectly. Also, Dallas is a dysfunctional organization at this point. Jones always admired Al Davis, and he basically has become them. Mega ego owner, puppet for a head coach, owner being involved in scouting and drafting players, it's all there. So I guess at this point ill give Ryan a chance.

Has there been any statements or comments from Ryan yet about his new position with the Saints?

Only thing I've seen so far was a statement from him that was released by the Saints and was buried in the articles announcing the hire.

Now the 50-year-old Ryan takes his fourth defensive coordinator job since 2004 while becoming Payton's fourth defensive coordinator since 2006.
"I have had the opportunity to get to know Sean Payton and his staff a bit better recently and I am excited about joining the team," Ryan said in a statement provided by the Saints. "I'm ready to get to work on all facets of the game. This is a great opportunity and we're getting started right away."

Read More: Saints hire Rob Ryan to be defensive coordinator - NFL - SI.com

Peter King is like a middle-aged menopausal woman at this point. I'll bet he even hyper-modifies his water orders.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom