Petition to Warner Bros.-Don't drop HD DVD (2 Viewers)

Hey, atleast you guys still get American Gangster (Universal) on HD-DVD. I'm really looking forward to getting that movie but it won't be on BluRay. :tear:

It's coming out on Feb. 19th by the way.

and Bourne U...

soon? like 20 years soon???

More like two to three. Technology moves fast, especially once Apple gets behind it. As for rural areas in the country. Don't want to sound mean, but rural areas are always behind the technology curve.

I've got an Apple TV also, and rental is a snap. I'm likely to buy certain movies and store on an external HD.

Also, you have 24 hours to watch a rental once you start watching it. You have 30 days to begin watching it. If you begin watching on day 30 and then pause it, when you come back you can continue.

So, it's not like a Blockbuster physical rental.

I have a PS3 and I'm glad that it looks like Blue-Ray is winning apparently, but to be honest I don't use it really. Nothing out there that makes me want to buy more then I already have. I can get the same movies cheaper just not as clearer. I'd rather spend the few extra dollars at the bar.
And I don't drink which is why my extra is going to Blu Ray Movies :9:

I'm a big proponent of the straight-download market, but it's at least 5 years from becoming mainstream, and more like 10 years before it starts challenging physical media, imo.

I'm a big proponent of the straight-download market, but it's at least 5 years from becoming mainstream, and more like 10 years before it starts challenging physical media, imo.

I agree Jim. The limitation is going to be in hard drive space. People want to keep their movies and it's going to take huge hard drives to do that. Hard drive technology is currently maxed out. They just put multiple numbers of the same drive in a box now. IMO, we will need a leap forward in the amount you can hold on a hard drive and the cost of the drives before everything goes download. I'm sure it will eventually, but it will take some time.

By the way, a friend of mine has a Ph.D in Electrical Engineering. His specialty is lasers. According to him, the real revolution will come when all data is stored on the laser light itself. It will just be a perpetual look of light. Then you will be able to hold huge amounts of data. But, before that, the next step is probably green lasers.

Yep, there are a couple of barriers that need to be overcome in my opinion:

1. Storage space - interesting thought on the lasers, hadn't heard that before
2. Bandwidth - the US is pretty far behind other industrial nations in high speed internet penetration. We'd need to see a pretty significant chunk of the video watching population to have 20-50gbps bandwidth, before download movies is anything more than a niche market.
3. Portability -- there needs to be a way to move your copy of a movie around to different devices out of your home. The technology is there, but DRM issues need to be worked out, and the products need to be created and then mass produced to drive the costs down.
4. Psychology -- people like having physical media. It makes them think they actually own something.

I think it'll get there but there are a lot of hurdles to jump before it's more than a hobbyist market.

the HD section at my best buy has gotten very small, they also put it next to those "special intrest" DVD's and UMD movies. By special intrest I don't mean adult entertainment, I mean like those bad import DVD of mexican wrestling and jumbo 20 movies ina box (all from 1920)

I signed. I h8 Gay Ray.

/Will be buying a PS3
//Not for a couple of months
///Long live HD DVD!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom