Pets of SaintsReport (1 Viewer)

FL_Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I searched the forums but all the pet threads were quite old. We adopted a dog from the local SPCA about three months ago. Let the kids name him and now we have a Gumbo to go along with our little Roux-dog.

Gumbo is the big fella. He is almost 6 years old. We cannot believe that someone gave him up to the SPCA. He is amazing.

Roux is our sweet little lady. Again, kids named her. We have had Roux for almost 6 years.

Who else has pets they'd like to show off?

OP
FL_Saint

FL_Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share an update on our rescue/SPCA adoption of Gumbo. We adopted him back in January and he has settled in to be a part of our family just fine. He is just simply an amazing dog.
We did find that he gets some anxiety during thunderstorms and fireworks, but he doesn’t tear stuff up, just paces. I still want to find something to relieve his stress though. The thundershirt seems to help some.
While he is quite the sweet and gentle dog, he is also very, very strong. His tail and his big block head should be registered as weapons. Even so, he is still pretty gentle with our much smaller dog, Roux. Well, most of the time.
Our lives are better since he has joined our family. I like to believe that his is better as well.

Last edited:

where yat brah

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Frankl
I have heard people swear by these for dogs' anxiety from fireworks and around here--military bombings (Hurlburt Field).

Reaction score
Great dogs! You are all lucky pet owners.

I would get a dog if it had and off/on switch. How do you manage walking, feeding, entertaining, and giving the dog the proper attention it needs? Vet bills...Yikes! Dog mines, missing shoes, trash cans knocked down, and liabilities. No thanks.

Some people are just not the type to own pets I suppose.

MightyMite

Mightiest of all Mites
Reaction score

I would get a dog if it had and off/on switch. How do you manage walking, feeding, entertaining, and giving the dog the proper attention it needs? Vet bills...Yikes! Dog mines, missing shoes, trash cans knocked down, and liabilities. No thanks.

Proper training eliminates most of that. But you're right. It takes the right kind of person to want to spend the time it takes to make your dog into a responsible family member.

If you don't want to do that, then a dog is not for you. And that's ok. Your personal attitude towards that is actually excellent. Too many people get a dog thinking all they have to do is feed it and then that poor dog winds up in a shelter through no fault of its own. You realize that you don't want the hassle and are not going to put you or a dog in that position. Good for you. :9:

Casterfield

I'm Alive
Reaction score
I think getting a dog (Bernie) has forced me to grow in ways I wasn't prepared to do otherwise. In other words, it's helping me become an adult.

I got Bernie about four months ago, so this is all new to me. And I've already realized there are certain things that need to be taken care of, regardless of whether or not I want to do it; i.e. responsibilities. It's been super good for me so far and I'm so glad to be a single parent to her. I also realized that I'm a worrywart and a helicopter parent... both things I need to fix before -- god willing -- I have children.

PS I’m 30 years old.
PPS I wrote this when I was very stoned.

Last edited:

CapitalCitySaint

99% Practice; 1% Theory
Reaction score

Thank you for recognizing this about yourself. They are a huge responsibility and a lot of work. It takes a very unselfish person to recognize this and too many selfish mofos don't put much thought into dog ownership.

CapitalCitySaint

99% Practice; 1% Theory
Reaction score
Wanted to share an update on our rescue/SPCA adoption of Gumbo. We adopted him back in January and he has settled in to be a part of our family just fine. He is just simply an amazing dog.
We did find that he gets some anxiety during thunderstorms and fireworks, but he doesn’t tear stuff up, just paces. I still want to find something to relieve his stress though. The thundershirt seems to help some.
While he is quite the sweet and gentle dog, he is also very, very strong. His tail and his big block head should be registered as weapons. Even so, he is still pretty gentle with our much smaller dog, Roux. Well, most of the time.
Our lives are better since he has joined our family. I like to believe that his is better as well.
Don't give him attention (cuddles, "ohhhh it's okay", hugs, etc.) when he's stressing during storms or fireworks. Ideally, you'd put a kennel or a dog bed in a central part of the home (closet or bathroom) with a tv or radio playing something relaxing to during these times (primarily fireworks as these are predictable events, thunderstorms are not).

Dogs feed on your energy. During a storm, don't coddle the nervous behavior. Ignore it and carry on as usual or put them in the crate/bed in the bathroom/closet with the music.

Reaction score
Thank you for recognizing this about yourself. They are a huge responsibility and a lot of work. It takes a very unselfish person to recognize this and too many selfish mofos don't put much thought into dog ownership.
I don't know about unselfish, more like realistic. I really want a beagle, they are just really friendly, and have tons of personality. Maybe one day, but not any time soon. Also, I think Pugs would require a lot less work, since they are a lap dog. They still need attention, vets, and food though.

When everything lines up I might get a dog, but there are so many other things to do, it's not like it's a high priority or anything.

I think having two would make more sense, since they can keep each other entertained. Future dog owner in training here. What you think about two beagles? Total chaos probably.

CapitalCitySaint

99% Practice; 1% Theory
Reaction score
I don't know about unselfish, more like realistic. I really want a beagle, they are just really friendly, and have tons of personality. Maybe one day, but not any time soon. Also, I think Pugs would require a lot less work, since they are a lap dog. They still need attention, vets, and food though.

When everything lines up I might get a dog, but there are so many other things to do, it's not like it's a high priority or anything.

I think having two would make more sense, since they can keep each other entertained. Future dog owner in training here. What you think about two beagles? Total chaos probably.

I really don't like coming off like I'm bragging and in a forum like this, it's hard to follow people's backgrounds but I train seeing eye dogs and have for 6 years. Believe me when I say that you recognizing this about yourself is unselfish. I think being realistic ties in to being unselfish. There are a lot of people who go into dog ownership (much like they do having children) from a selfish perspective. Oh this *thing* will bring me joy, this thing will love me, this thing will do x,y,z". or oh I just want a dog or kid because it seems to be the thing to do; never taking into consideration the needs of the thing at the various ages and if their lifestyle and personality can accommodate such needs.

So, people like you who can self reflect and be honest about your abilities to care for another living being versus the needs of something that would depend on you entirely takes a lot of self reflection and honestly.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
So my ten year old had surgery today for an abscess tooth and two tumors. They are keeping her overnight for observation
My 2 year old dog has been freaking out all day...poor thing has been so stressed
20150703_211904-1_zpslizhuxkq.jpeg
The pic is the 10 year old

I was worried all day until i found out the tumors were benign

SharonT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen the jokes about pets wanting their owners to go back to work, so they can enjoy their peace and quiet, stretching out on the couch, etc. Mine are happy to have us home full time. And the nice weather outside to boot.
??????
To the Pets of Saintsreport: :beerchug: Cheers!

TheRealJRad

The Artist Formerly Known as AgentJRad
Staff member
Tech-Admin
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen the jokes about pets wanting their owners to go back to work, so they can enjoy their peace and quiet, stretching out on the couch, etc. Mine are happy to have us home full time. And the nice weather outside to boot.
??????
To the Pets of Saintsreport: :beerchug: Cheers!
Link is loving his extra walks. Even better is when I work on the back patio.
1585804517780.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom