PFF: Analysis on QB's vs Pressure from different spots (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Some interesting stuff. They collected their info from 2008-2012 and looked at how QB's performed vs pressure, and pressure from certain spots (LT, LG, C, RG, RT).

Some tidbits:

- When facing no Pressure, Drew Brees is the highest rated QB among all QB's over that timespan. Posting a 72.6% completion, 177 TD's to 56 INT's. Not much of a news flash here. You give Drew Brees or any good qb for that matter time in the pocket, they will destroy you. The good news here is Drew Brees has been the best.

- Drew doesnt rank in the top 15 when pressured. Aaron Rodgers is #1 vs pressure. Quite honestly, his stats dont change much vs or not vs pressure. Dude just deadly.

- Brees ranks 3rd amongst QB's when facting pressure from the left tackle. This goes along with what we've been saying, Drew makes the LT look good. Amazingly, for Brees left tackle pressure led to a sack only 7.3 percent of the time, far below the league average (in comparison, Rodgers was sacked 25% of the time when facing pressure from the LT spot). This is why we didnt pay Bushrod the big bucks.

- Not suprisingly, when pressured from the center, Brees ranks amongst the worst, along with guys like Tom Brady and Romo. Not a news flash here either. Every one knows if you want to hurt the Saints passing game you need to get gut pressure. This is why traditional 3-4 teams have given us problems over the years. The good news is he's only faced pressure from the center on 55 dropbacks over that 4 years timespan. Our middle is very solid. This is why we invest so much money in the guard position. But I find it interesting we dont invest much into the center position. I wonder why?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/29/examining-pressure-qb-play/

Just some data to chew on during this slow off season.

What Aaron Rodgers can do on the move when being chased is nothing short of spectacular. Guy is a beast.

But I find it interesting we dont invest much into the center position. I wonder why?

Well we've had solid centers during the SP era with Faine, Goodwin, and now DLP. They brought Kreutz in before he lost his heart and before they knew DLP could be a starter. Except for Grubbs they really don't make splashes in free agency when it comes to O line. They really don't have to because they are so great at scouting and developing O line talent.

Some interesting stuff. They collected their info from 2008-2012 and looked at how QB's performed vs pressure, and pressure from certain spots (LT, LG, C, RG, RT).

Some tidbits:

- When facing no Pressure, Drew Brees is the highest rated QB among all QB's over that timespan. Posting a 72.6% completion, 177 TD's to 56 INT's. Not much of a news flash here. You give Drew Brees or any good qb for that matter time in the pocket, they will destroy you. The good news here is Drew Brees has been the best.

- Drew doesnt rank in the top 15 when pressured. Aaron Rodgers is #1 vs pressure. Quite honestly, his stats dont change much vs or not vs pressure. Dude just deadly.

- Brees ranks 3rd amongst QB's when facting pressure from the left tackle. This goes along with what we've been saying, Drew makes the LT look good. Amazingly, for Brees left tackle pressure led to a sack only 7.3 percent of the time, far below the league average (in comparison, Rodgers was sacked 25% of the time when facing pressure from the LT spot). This is why we didnt pay Bushrod the big bucks.

- Not suprisingly, when pressured from the center, Brees ranks amongst the worst, along with guys like Tom Brady and Romo. Not a news flash here either. Every one knows if you want to hurt the Saints passing game you need to get gut pressure. This is why traditional 3-4 teams have given us problems over the years. The good news is he's only faced pressure from the center on 55 dropbacks over that 4 years timespan. Our middle is very solid. This is why we invest so much money in the guard position. But I find it interesting we dont invest much into the center position. I wonder why?

because a C will usually work in tandem w/ Guard. So it makes sense not to break the bank on a C, if you have 2 Gs that are well above average.

because a C will usually work in tandem w/ Guard. So it makes sense not to break the bank on a C, if you have 2 Gs that are well above average.

Yep, thats what I was thinking. But then again, if you have a stout center who can hold his own... eh, nevermind. When it comes to protecting the QB, I trust in Sean.

Well we've had some solid centers during the SP era with Faine, Goodwin, and now DLP. They brought Kreutz in before he lost his heart and before they knew DLP could be a starter.

This.

Goodwin started hitting stride at the end of his years here, and is a solid starter in the league now.

DLP emerged last year as a center worthy, in my opinion, of top 15, maybe even top 10 consideration. based purely on stat crunching his run blocking is top 10 among centers and his pass blocking is well above average (less than 20 pressures allowed last year)

Other than that I just dont think there are enough big name centers to go around, there are only a handful of "dominant" centers in the league, and they rarely become available.

Our bread and butter will always be Elite level guard play anchoring the line since it sets the interior pocket for Brees.

This.

Goodwin started hitting stride at the end of his years here, and is a solid starter in the league now.

DLP emerged last year as a center worthy, in my opinion, of top 15, maybe even top 10 consideration. based purely on stat crunching his run blocking is top 10 among centers and his pass blocking is well above average (less than 20 pressures allowed last year)

Other than that I just dont think there are enough big name centers to go around, there are only a handful of "dominant" centers in the league, and they rarely become available.

Our bread and butter will always be Elite level guard play anchoring the line since it sets the interior pocket for Brees.

Nice first post. Welcome to the board :plus-un2:

Come to think of it, we've actually had really good Center play over the past several years. Faine was a Pro Bowl Alternate in '07 and Goodwin was a Pro Bowler in '09. DLP was our highest performing lineman last year according to PFF, so we've been very fortunate with Centers.

Come to think of it, we've actually had really good Center play over the past several years. Faine was a Pro Bowl Alternate in '07 and Goodwin was a Pro Bowler in '09. DLP was our highest performing lineman last year according to PFF, so we've been very fortunate with Centers.

Yep, and Goodwin got a Pro Bowl nod with the 9ers also I believe this past year. So yes, they've been doing something right. We missed on Matt Tennant and Olin Kruetz, but thats about it.

I wonder if we plan to extend Brian DLP after this season or if we continue our trend of letting them walk?

Yep, and Goodwin got a Pro Bowl nod with the 9ers also I believe this past year. So yes, they've been doing something right. We missed on Matt Tennant and Olin Kruetz, but thats about it.

I wonder if we plan to extend Brian DLP after this season or if we continue our trend of letting them walk?

Nice first post. Welcome to the board :plus-un2:

Thanks for the welcome :grin:

Im not sure that Kreutz was a miss, as i think the saints knew what they were getting out of him, even if they didnt expect him to drop out after only a few games on the year.

Tennant was sort've a miss based on our scouts' usual ability to find gold in mid-late round linemen.

DLP was luck if you consider that he was picked up 6 times on practice squads before the saints signed him on to theirs.

Possibly a true testament to Kromer's developmental ability?

Makes me wonder if we'll still have the same ability to develop OLine without him.

Thanks for the welcome :grin:

Im not sure that Kreutz was a miss, as i think the saints knew what they were getting out of him, even if they didnt expect him to drop out after only a few games on the year.

Tennant was sort've a miss based on our scouts' usual ability to find gold in mid-late round linemen.

DLP was luck if you consider that he was picked up 6 times on practice squads before the saints signed him on to theirs.

Possibly a true testament to Kromer's developmental ability?

Makes me wonder if we'll still have the same ability to develop OLine without him.

We'll see. Prior to Kromer, Doug Marrone did a damn good job.

Guess we'll find out. My theory is Payton still has a lot of a say-so and knowlege in that department.

Some tidbits:

One of the best offseason, non-draft reported posts of the year. Great stuff. Thanks much!

What Aaron Rodgers can do on the move when being chased is nothing short of spectacular. Guy is a beast.

True, Rodgers is a stud. However, I find it surprising that Brees was only sacked 7.3% when pressure coming from the LT (compared to 25% for Rodgers). Is Brees' footwork underrated, or is Rodgers getting too much praise?

Great find OP.

Agreed and he has height to go along with mobility and sick accuracy on the run. Can you imagine Rodgers in a dome and not outside in freezing temps, 30 mph winds and snow?

The only other QB in the league I would consider over Drew would be Rodgers. And the only reason for that is Rodgers age. To win a SB in the next 3-4 years, we got the QB in NO today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom