PFF gonna PFF: Aaron Rodgers vs SEA graded HIGHER than Brees vs. Philly (1 Viewer)

That is just plain stupidity. I've really lost all the little faith I'd put in their analysis at this point.

I've consulted with some colleagues and this was their reactions.

They concurred this rating doesn't pass the eye ball test at all.

I'm seeing a weird trend among the 'Metrics Uber Alles' crowd to downplay Brees and Payton and the Saints O this year.

For example Football Outsiders is struggling to explain why the Saints O doesnt rank higher in DVOA despite being the most efficient scoring machine in football.

Brees gets superb protection and our o-line mashes people in the run game but they don't show up on PFF's Best O Line rankings.

I don't get it.

I would trust their rankings more if they were more transparent in how they calculated them.

Rodgers in the 4th quarter, aka crunch time, the last two weeks has been pretty abysmal. You can try to blame it on McCarthy or this and that, but he’s still not making the plays.

Another 'no respect' thread, how entertaining and delightfully novel.

Another 'no respect' thread, how entertaining and delightfully novel.
This has nothing to do with "no respect". This has everything to do with the fact that PFF's ratings make no sense based off of stats as well as, in their own words, " looking beyond the stats".

This has nothing to do with "no respect". This has everything to do with the fact that PFF's ratings make no sense based off of stats as well as, in their own words, " looking beyond the stats".
Have your seen the front page of this forum in the past few weeks? It's everywhere. Dress it up however you want, it's just whiny.

This shouldn't be a surprise to you. Let me refresh y'all's memory -

1542818869117.png

See the wide open guy near the line of scrimmage? Rodgers avoided the checkdown which would've got him an easy first down and maybe even a TD, cause it would've hurt his stats compared to forcing the ball to a covered receiver or getting sacked. The entire game plan in the second half seemed to be to throw to Adams or get sacked. This is done for a reason -

Rodgers plays to protect his stats. And always has and most likely always will. Greg Cossell figured this out a few years ago and people thought he was crazy when he said it in the media. Skip Bayless knew something was wrong with him years ago and we all chalked it up cause Bayless is a crazy Dallas homer. Colin Cowherd is one of the few media personalities who will actually criticize Rodgers and bring up this stuff.

Rodgers has always been like this. He was just surrounded by far more talent early in his career and you could overlook it. If he didn't have that one fluke ring from early in his career, I think more people would openly criticize him. Pull up his comeback record, game winning drives and count how many OT wins he has (one in his entire career!).

It shouldn't be a shocked that he played down to protect his stats and some stat nerds at a site look at it and think he had a great game. Go back to all those playoff losses where GB got blown out and he still padding his stats to make it look like he had some awesome performances.

When it's all said and done, Rodgers is actually a great example of why the ring argument needs to die. If he didn't have the one ring, more people would openly criticize him. Matt Ryan has far more comeback wins and game winning drives in his career, but no one ever defends him like they do Rodgers.

I took it more as PFF's rating need a bit more explaining since they don't add up. I don't really care how they rate Brees. That's their prerogative but it's a bad one without explanation for why with better numbers he's rated lower than Aaron Rogers. But to each their own I guess. I'm looking for Brees to get the Lombardi not some feeble recognition from people who don't matter.

I took it more as PFF's rating need a bit more explaining since they don't add up. I don't really care how they rate Brees. That's their prerogative but it's a bad one without explanation for why with better numbers he's rated lower than Aaron Rogers. But to each their own I guess. I'm looking for Brees to get the Lombardi not some feeble recognition from people who don't matter.
I like your logic and your end statement, thanks for explaining so clearly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom