PFF Grades (1 Viewer)

Please can someone tell me how PFF can give Lattimore a 41.6 grade (76th our of 86 cornerbacks) after holding one of the best receivers in the league to 0 catches on 29 snaps.
Oh, I don't know. Maybe their methodology is a bit suspect.

I'm imagining they penalize him big for the PI calls. Also they look at every snap, so they must have thought he was getting beat even though they weren't throwing it. I very strongly disagree. It's reckless because it leads to the narrative nationally that Latt is bad.

They also put out an entire article about how Brees is done and Brady just had a bad game based on one underthrown out route to TQS. Everyone wants to be the first to offically call the demise of Brees.

Please can someone tell me how PFF can give Lattimore a 41.6 grade (76th our of 86 cornerbacks) after holding one of the best receivers in the league to 0 catches on 29 snaps.
Simple. PFF doesn’t have a clue. They don’t watch every player on every play and they also don’t have the coaches call in front of them. To top it all off chris Collinsworth is also involved and he’s the worst.

I'm imagining they penalize him big for the PI calls. Also they look at every snap, so they must have thought he was getting beat even though they weren't throwing it. I very strongly disagree. It's reckless because it leads to the narrative nationally that Latt is bad.

They also put out an entire article about how Brees is done and Brady just had a bad game based on one underthrown out route to TQS. Everyone wants to be the first to offically call the demise of Brees.
They may watch every snap but one person can’t grade 22 guys every play. PFF is worthless

I don't know. Easy to brush it off and say they have no clue. I wouldn't respect that until I saw someone break down his snaps and show it though. PFF isn't some all being grade but it's more detail than we see on game day.

I will say they have admitted that Lattimore's grade typically gets a knock that others don't. They admit that they don't grade based on competition and Lattimore has one of the toughest jobs in the NFL. They consider him one of the best in the game.

PFF is pretty accurate. They typically look at every play that the player plays...whereas we typically only notice plays in which the player was involved. It is possible that Lattimore was beat and Brady didn't get Evans the ball...and certainly the pass interference calls could add up. It's hard to imagine that he would receive such a bad grade...but they are very objective.

PFF is the authority...until they something you don't like.

PFF is a reference point. Nothing more.

Their analysts and graders don’t have any way of knowing what players’ responsibilities are on given plays. I’ve sat in a film session with an NFL head coach who pointed out several examples of plays on which PFF negatively graded a player when that player was actually taking on his own responsibility AND a teammate’s because the teammate messed up.

People will always point to it as a reference point and that’s fine. But it’s quite flawed.

I often have been surprised by the grades assigned by PFF and suspect that there is more than occasional variance between its grades and those assigned by the coaches of the players being graded.

How many receptions did receivers guarded by Lattimore make? Was the secondary our strongest unit on Sunday? How many since Sunday afternoon have been hailing Brady's game performance?

Last edited:
I think with PFF you just have to assume they will do the best they can with the information they have and they will be as objective as possible. If you assume that you will know their limitations but also their strengths.

They might not be 100% correct on their evaluation but since they evaluate every play they will for sure be better in their analysis than fans who only look at extremely negative/positive plays. At the same time when they say something it doesn't mean it is the absolute truth, just means it is their conclusion based on the information they have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom