PFF Grades (1 Viewer)

PFF is pretty accurate. They typically look at every play that the player plays...whereas we typically only notice plays in which the player was involved. It is possible that Lattimore was beat and Brady didn't get Evans the ball...and certainly the pass interference calls could add up. It's hard to imagine that he would receive such a bad grade...but they are very objective.

PFF is the authority...until they something you don't like.
Sean Payton said PFF is crap. So who do I believe?

PFF is pretty accurate. They typically look at every play that the player plays...whereas we typically only notice plays in which the player was involved. It is possible that Lattimore was beat and Brady didn't get Evans the ball...and certainly the pass interference calls could add up. It's hard to imagine that he would receive such a bad grade...but they are very objective.

PFF is the authority...until they something you don't like.
PFF isn't capable of grading a 1st grade math test. They have always sucked. Payton laughed a question about PFF last year and obviously doesn't care about what they say. Two words........Andrus Peat.

My eyes and the scoreboard both say he played very well. I don’t need PFF.

As someone who has a lot of familiarity with PFF, I can say that there are tremendous flaws in their grading system. In other words, we should not take Lattimore's grade to mean that he was beaten on several instances but Brady just did not get him the ball. PFF does account for context and penalties of any kind (so the pass interference call and persona foul penalties) will count against him.

I also have worked with the "experts" at PFF and some--not all--of those guys do not have a clue. I rememberer watching tape with one and he kept laughing about this one DT who he said has not made a play all game. So, he wanted to show me. I look a look at three plays in the run and showed him how the DT had done his job and created opportunities for others to make plays in the run game. Now, all of PFF's employees are not this way but many of them are. Further, many of them do not know what the techniques are on a given play are and what the assignment should be.

Instead, they have this grading system based on what they believe should happen and the corresponding degree of difficulty. Sometimes that works, sometimes it does not. For example, if an edge rusher comes unblocked off the edge and gets a sack, PFF says that he should have made the play. Now, let's say that the QB avoids the sack and throws the ball away. Even though it is an incomplete pass, the QB will be given credit for avoid the sack and "making the play" he should not have been able to make. If Lattimore plays underneath because he has safety coverage over the top and it forces an incompletion, then he will not get as much credit because PFF will argue that this was a play that you could reasonably expect to be made given the circumstances of the coverage. It is a little more complex than this but I am trying to give some sense of how they do things. I do not want to say to take what they do totally with a grain of salt but I would not invest too much time into their grading system. Just look at PFF's grade on Drew last year after the Colts game.

PFF isn't capable of grading a 1st grade math test. They have always sucked. Payton laughed a question about PFF last year and obviously doesn't care about what they say. Two words........Andrus Peat.

the moment someone gets gets a good PFF grade, you’ll be back with praise. I’m not new around here.

This one is even better...

Brees was graded 57.5 which is 15th out of the 20 players on the Saints offense

Brady was graded 82.9 which is 1st out of the 16 players on the Bucs offense

To be fair, year in and year out Brees is top 3 in their grading system.

the moment someone gets gets a good PFF grade, you’ll be back with praise. I’m not new around here.

Exactly.

PFF rates a Saints player highly: they are an expert authority on football, and their grades are an accurate assessment of a player’s performance.

PFF rates a Saints player poorly: they are a bunch of unintelligent nobodies that do not understand the complex intricacies of modern football. Their ratings are no better than a random number generator.

If PFF was any good then they could do better than 50% against the spread. That'd be an unbiased test of their system, but they can't. I don't mind it for a reference though. It's better than 90% of the garbage ESPN spews.

I have never praised them. Look up my history. I laugh at the fact they keep saying the cowboys have the most talent.

I wasn’t speaking specifically about you. Just talking about the general forum reaction to PFF. I remember when PFF was the definitive authority that said that Lattimore was the greatest rookie CB ever.

I personally didn’t watch every Lattimore play so it is personally difficult for me to critique someone that has.

I also have worked with the "experts" at PFF and some--not all--of those guys do not have a clue. I rememberer watching tape with one and he kept laughing about this one DT who he said has not made a play all game. So, he wanted to show me. I look a look at three plays in the run and showed him how the DT had done his job and created opportunities for others to make plays in the run game. Now, all of PFF's employees are not this way but many of them are. Further, many of them do not know what the techniques are on a given play are and what the assignment should be.

Totally agreed on this point 60 minutes. One guy with a couple of years playing under his belt here in Ireland was one of the 'experts'. He was by no means an expert and really was only beginning his journey of understanding the game, being taught by others who's experience is largely theoretical.

So whatever the rating system or scheme, and any system will have pros and cons, there is a high dependency on skilled analysts who fully understand the positions they are grading. They get around this a little bit by averaging multiple analyst scores but I'm not sure that's really sufficient or ideal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom