PFF offensive line rankings (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The Saints finished with the No. 5 offensive line last season, and they’ll be right back in the mix at the top with four returning starters. They have the best tackle duo in the league in Terron Armstead and Ryan Ramczyk, who rank sixth and second, respectively, in grade since 2017 among tackles. Armstead’s 89.9 pass-blocking grade over the past three years is second only to David Bakhtiari, and he has the power and quickness to make any block in the run game. Ramczyk has a 90.2 grade in his first three years in the league, a mark bested only by Joe Thomas and Jake Long during the PFF era (since 2006). Ramczyk also boasts a 90.2 run-blocking grade since 2017 that ranks second at the position.

The Saints' interior features a few more question marks, especially after Larry Warford‘s release this offseason. Warford will be replaced by first-round pick Cesar Ruiz, who played center at Michigan and shined in pass protection, earning an 86.5 grade and allowing only nine pressures last season. Ruiz looked like a luxury pick during the draft, but Warford’s release shows just how much the Saints believe in Ruiz's ability. New Orleans had great success last season with rookie center Erik McCoy, who posted a 78.0 grade that ranked fourth in the league and a 77.6 run-blocking grade that ranked third.

Left guard Andrus Peat is coming off the two lowest grades of his career, and his 48.5 mark last season ranked just 79th out of 90 qualifiers. Peat had three straight 68.0-plus grades to kick off his career, and if he can get back on track, the Saints will be competing to rank as the best offensive line in the league

Did we kick out the wrong guard?

That remains to be seen, but it appears Peat is serious about improving as he transformed his body this offseason. Larry Warford has been a great guard for a long time, so it would have been no surprise to anyone if the Saints had committed to him over Peat. But he has also been a guard for a long time and age will be a factor soon. Assuming Ruiz converts to the NFL as quick as McCoy did, Peat is the weak link on the offensive line and I'm sure he knows it. He also knows the Saints committed to him anyway and it looks, so far, as he's taking that commitment seriously.

1597279570013-png.144525

That remains to be seen, but it appears Peat is serious about improving as he transformed his body this offseason. Larry Warford has been a great guard for a long time, so it would have been no surprise to anyone if the Saints had committed to him over Peat. But he has also been a guard for a long time and age will be a factor soon. Assuming Ruiz converts to the NFL as quick as McCoy did, Peat is the weak link on the offensive line and I'm sure he knows it. He also knows the Saints committed to him anyway and it looks, so far, as he's taking that commitment seriously.

1597279570013-png.144525

He looks like he's in good shape. I hope all the injuries are behind him. I like his grit and think he got a hard time for playing through injuries when the team needed him. At the same time, his injuries have limited him the past 2 years.

When he's on, him and Armstead are capable of blocking 20 to 30 yards downfield on screens.

I've been hard on Peat. Not so much to cut him, just that he hasn't lived up to what he was/is paid. I've never denied he's a great athlete, just couldn't put it together consistently. The only thing he did consistently was varying from highlight-reel blocks one game to spending the next on the ground the whole time.

Hopefully a renewed determination (and some injury luck) will take his talent and apply it consistently. He still has plenty of youth left to turn things around, I'm just surprised the Saints invested so much into that hope. I certainly respect him for playing through injuries but I won't attribute all his problems to those injuries.

As far as the rest of the o-line. I think Armstead will probably miss a couple of games per usual but he'll be there when it counts. He's one of those guys that can typically still give you a high level even if banged up. Ramczyk is a rock. It will be interesting to see how the two young guys work out, but I faith in their talent and our coaches. Having a capable backup in Easton makes me feel better.

Last edited:
Did we kick out the wrong guard?
Not when you look at the direction the OL is going, where the ability to play multiple positions is a huge asset. Easton can play either guard position or center, Ruiz and McCoy can also do the same, Peat can play guard or tackle, etc. Warford was/is an outstanding guard, but that's really the only position he can play.

I think the Saints made the right call. Conditioning hurt both the guards last year. Warford had the back injury at the end of 2018 and I don’t think he ever recovered. He is sitting out 2020 so he may be done. Peat is young and can play 10 more years if he wants to. His injuries were leg and arm types. He looks good in the pics. Overall the Saints know the best option was Peat.

The obvious weight loss by Peat is very encouraging to me. That’s a sign that he is taking this seriously and has worked hard in the off-season. That alone makes me same to cheer for him to bounce back, I’m expecting huge things from this o-line this season.

New Orleans had great success last season with rookie center Erik McCoy, who posted a 78.0 grade that ranked fourth in the league and a 77.6 run-blocking grade that ranked third.

This is incredible. I knew McCoy had a great season for a rookie but it was just a great season period. I'd like to know how many Centers finished in the top 4 in both run and pass blocking. It will be interesting to see how he pans out at Guard.

Who out there thinks Peat would’ve accepted a smaller contract than he signed for? Not talking about a low ball offer, but something that was smaller than what the final numbers were. I think he would have bc I don’t think deep down inside he felt that he was going to get paid like he is among the elite.

Who out there thinks Peat would’ve accepted a smaller contract than he signed for? Not talking about a low ball offer, but something that was smaller than what the final numbers were. I think he would have bc I don’t think deep down inside he felt that he was going to get paid like he is among the elite.

Maybe but that’s not how you run a successful organization. You have to pay him a fair contract. That comes back to bite you in future contracts working with a number of agents.

Peat's also a damn good third tackle to have, and that's quite a luxury.

When he's healthy, he's a beast on the second level as well.

As others have noted, in Loomis and Payton we trust.

I feel the same, for Peat, it has mostly been issues with health....he looks great, hopefully his play follows....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom