PFF offensive line rankings (1 Viewer)

Who out there thinks Peat would’ve accepted a smaller contract than he signed for? Not talking about a low ball offer, but something that was smaller than what the final numbers were. I think he would have bc I don’t think deep down inside he felt that he was going to get paid like he is among the elite.

he was part of the negotiation. Loomis knows what he is doing and if it hadn't taken that to get him signed, he would have gotten less. There is no telling how many times it got kicked back and forth before the final numbers. Whether he was the right guy or not is something we can question for years but once they decided on him, I'm sure the contract got handled as best as they could. Of course I'm sure he is glad he got that contract last year and isn't negotiating in the middle of this mess.

Peat's also a damn good third tackle to have, and that's quite a luxury.

When he's healthy, he's a beast on the second level as well.

As others have noted, in Loomis and Payton we trust.
Agree. Peat’s OT play is solid for a third guy and a significant factor in keeping him given Armstead’s health. TA has missed 5.5 games per year over the last 4. Warford didn’t give us that swing ability.

Maybe but that’s not how you run a successful organization. You have to pay him a fair contract. That comes back to bite you in future contracts working with a number of agents.
Making someone the 3rd highest paid Guard when they are not even Top 10 at that position is not how you run a successful business. He ranked 13th and has missed 15 games over 5 years, never played a full 16. Overpaying someone like Peat could come back to bite you in future contracts with the likes of Ram, Latt, or AK41. Those guys deserve big $$$ and if they don’t get it, then they walk. Do you rather pay Peat that big $$$ or lose someone like one or two of those 3 in the future. You can’t pay everyone. I personally would pay one or two of them and risk letting Peat walk. Sure it sounds good to FAs “they paid Peat, they have to pay me right”!?!?! Now, if you want to say that his contract was the going rate for top tier Guards, then that’s a fair point. However, if you think that Peat is a top tier Guard, then I’d drug test you. Deal was not “fair”. It was head scratching and most would agree. At no point in Peat’s career has anyone ever said “That guy should be paid top 3 money or top 5 money”. The only good thing about signing him was keeping our Oline in tact with familiarity.

Making someone the 3rd highest paid Guard when they are not even Top 10 at that position is not how you run a successful business. He ranked 13th and has missed 15 games over 5 years, never played a full 16. Overpaying someone like Peat could come back to bite you in future contracts with the likes of Ram, Latt, or AK41. Those guys deserve big $$$ and if they don’t get it, then they walk. Do you rather pay Peat that big $$$ or lose someone like one or two of those 3 in the future. You can’t pay everyone. I personally would pay one or two of them and risk letting Peat walk. Sure it sounds good to FAs “they paid Peat, they have to pay me right”!?!?! Now, if you want to say that his contract was the going rate for top tier Guards, then that’s a fair point. However, if you think that Peat is a top tier Guard, then I’d drug test you. Deal was not “fair”. It was head scratching and most would agree. At no point in Peat’s career has anyone ever said “That guy should be paid top 3 money or top 5 money”. The only good thing about signing him was keeping our Oline in tact with familiarity.

It may look like a lot but it is essentially a three year contract averaging $11M. That’s top 10 money. I think he earns it. It will be a cheap deal if he has to play LT. I see your point and maybe Loomis could have played hardball but I would rather pay him good money than lose both guards this offseason.

It may look like a lot but it is essentially a three year contract averaging $11M. That’s top 10 money. I think he earns it. It will be a cheap deal if he has to play LT. I see your point and maybe Loomis could have played hardball but I would rather pay him good money than lose both guards this offseason.
I hope you are right bc his cap hit jumps to $13.4 and $14.4 million the following years. Anymore injury plagued or lackluster seasons will make this deal look real bad. If we end up paying him to play LT for a half season or more, then yes, the contract will look better, but then I would worry for whichever QB is playing. Just my $.02

Go
I hope you are right bc his cap hit jumps to $13.4 and $14.4 million the following years. Anymore injury plagued or lackluster seasons will make this deal look real bad. If we end up paying him to play LT for a half season or more, then yes, the contract will look better, but then I would worry for whichever QB is playing. Just my $.02
Good points. I looked up his contract on SportsTrac to see the details. Peat is the sixth highest paid guard in the NFL. But the difference between him and #15 to 20 is like a million a year. If he stinks at LG it’s a three year deal with two option years with no dead money. I agree they paid him pretty well for missing so many games. Like you said I hope the Saints are sure about him because it was quite an investment. Based on his current conditioning I think they were right, but we shall see. Also Warford is taking the year off so I think the Saints knew something we didn’t.

Go

Good points. I looked up his contract on SportsTrac to see the details. Peat is the sixth highest paid guard in the NFL. But the difference between him and #15 to 20 is like a million a year. If he stinks at LG it’s a three year deal with two option years with no dead money. I agree they paid him pretty well for missing so many games. Like you said I hope the Saints are sure about him because it was quite an investment. Based on his current conditioning I think they were right, but we shall see. Also Warford is taking the year off so I think the Saints knew something we didn’t.
Dead money is $7.8 million after 2022 and $5.2 after 2023. Lowers to $2.6 after 2024. Are you sure there is no dead money? Spotrac says otherwise.

It looked like $33M guaranteed and that is roughly the first three years. I assumed there wouldn’t be any dead money after year three but that was only an assumption

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom