PFF Predicts Marcus Williams will Sign With Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

Here's the quote from Pro Football Focus

"Since entering the league in 2017, Williams has ranked near the top of the league in every significant category for safeties. He has a coverage grade that ranks in the 90th percentile to go with the highest rate of forced incompletions. Williams is also a solid run defender and with the skills to fit as a free safety in any scheme.

Contract Analysis: Williams is infamous for the Minneapolis Miracle, which is a shame because he’s been a great player for the Saints on the back end. New Orleans brought their 2009 first-round pick, Malcolm Jenkins, back to the bayou this offseason, which could be a sign that they are preparing for the departure of Williams.

Prediction: Jaguars sign Williams for four years, $57M ($14.25M APY): $30M total guaranteed, $18.5M fully guaranteed at signing."
The Saints can franchise tag him for cheaper than that.

The Saints can franchise tag him for cheaper than that.

Yeah, but they’d have to take all of the cap hit on the first year.

The longer the deal, the more we can spread out the guarantees. So if we want to keep him, a new deal is likely the only way (and it would appeal to both sides if the guarantees are right).

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Williams is a top 5 safety in the league. We always remember him for his blunders, but that is only because they seem to be massive stand-out blunders. Truth be told, those are few and far between. If your safety only makes 2-3 bad plays a year then he's really good. He's going to be in that 14/mil a year range. We ask a lot of our safeties. I can see them trying to keep Williams over Lattimore.

I'm a Jaguars fan. I'd be ok with the signing. I really do think that Williams needs a change of scenery. The Jags have wiggle room to miss on a free agent than the Saints.

I'd also be pretty surprised if the Jags don't make a very strong push to get Hendrickson (he's from the area...and his wife is from Jacksonville), and Curtis Samuels (he was one of Urban Meyers players back in the day).

Williams is a top 5 safety in the league. We always remember him for his blunders, but that is only because they seem to be massive stand-out blunders. Truth be told, those are few and far between. If your safety only makes 2-3 bad plays a year then he's really good. He's going to be in that 14/mil a year range. We ask a lot of our safeties. I can see them trying to keep Williams over Lattimore.
When does he make a game changing play in a positive manner? And I don’t mean the stuff that never makes the stat sheet. A huge pass break up....key interception? Game changing tackle? I just don’t see it.

When does he make a game changing play in a positive manner? And I don’t mean the stuff that never makes the stat sheet. A huge pass break up....key interception? Game changing tackle? I just don’t see it.

He literally made the game saving interception against the Vikings, then our offense proceeded to do nothing and then the miracle happened.

Tell me just how many game clinching TD's we've had in each of our recent playoff exits..

The offense has been incapable of putting games away, especially in the playoffs.

He literally made the game saving interception against the Vikings, then our offense proceeded to do nothing and then the miracle happened.

Tell me just how many game clinching TD's we've had in each of our recent playoff exits..

The offense has been incapable of putting games away, especially in the playoffs.
I’m in agreement with the offense. I’m speaking of Williams. Simple fact when I think of a game changing safety, many names come up, none of which are his.
For a Saints comparison it’s Sharper for me, as to me he was the best game changer safety we’ve ever had....I see zero resemblance between the two. Jmo.

I also see zero resemblance between all of the safety’s considered to be top of the game, and Williams. To me Marcus is average to slightly above average and extremely un-clutch. Most of the team the last few years is the antithesis of clutch tho so it’s certainly not just him.

I’m in agreement with the offense. I’m speaking of Williams. Simple fact when I think of a game changing safety, many names come up, none of which are his.
For a Saints comparison it’s Sharper for me, as to me he was the best game changer safety we’ve ever had....I see zero resemblance between the two. Jmo.

I also see zero resemblance between all of the safety’s considered to be top of the game, and Williams. To me Marcus is average to slightly above average and extremely un-clutch. Most of the team the last few years is the antithesis of clutch tho so it’s certainly not just him.

I'm all for upgrading the position, I just don't think you do that until you have his replacement in the building.
He leads our team in Ints every season and is one of the better Free Safeties in the league.
I wouldn't create a hole if we don't need to.

Overall, the secondary communicates with each other better than they probably ever have under Sean.
Williams is a key piece in that equation.

I'm all for upgrading the position, I just don't think you do that until you have his replacement in the building.
He leads our team in Ints every season and is one of the better Free Safeties in the league.
I wouldn't create a hole if we don't need to.

Overall, the secondary communicates with each other better than they probably ever have under Sean.
Williams is a key piece in that equation.
Valid points. Just don’t think he is worth the salary he will command.

Drew Brees/OL playing awful to subpar for 2 quarter of a playoff game has hurt us more than defensive collapse. If you let a team stick around and give them a chance to win the game on the final possession. Well, screw around and find out has been our MO for the past 4 years.

Offense haven't been getting the job done.

Drew Brees/OL playing awful to subpar for 2 quarter of a playoff game has hurt us more than defensive collapse. If you let a team stick around and give them a chance to win the game on the final possession. Well, screw around and find out has been our MO for the past 4 years.

Offense haven't been getting the job done.

Exactly.

The Sean offense of old would be putting up 60+ a game with a defense this good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom