PFF Ranked the Saints Defensive [Front Seven] 28th (1 Viewer)

Pdlc

NOT A FANBOY
Reaction score
28. New Orleans Saints

Top overall grade:*DE Cameron Jordan, 92.1

Lowest overall grade:*LB Craig Robertson, 51.2

This Saints’ defensive line featured one of*PFF’s All-Pro second team defensive ends, but that’s it. Nick Fairley was the second-highest-graded player in the unit, but even he comes in at 76.9. The fact is that, outside of Cameron Jordan’s ridiculous 79 pressures on 619 pass rushes, the rest of the New Orleans*defense managed 170 total QB pressures on 2,202 pass rushes. That’s awful, considering that the Saints blitzed more than any other team in the NFL (41.3 percent of snaps).[\b]
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-defensive-front-sevens-this-season

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LB's are now part of the defensive line grade?

EDIT: Ahh, it's a Front 7 grade, not a DL grade.

I feel like the D line was better than 28th, but brought way down by the backers

Man they have some big names in the "lowest grades" sections

We definitely need to upgrade the defensive line.

I wonder if this played a reason as to why Bill Johnson was fired?

We definitely need to upgrade the defensive line.

I wonder if this played a reason as to why Bill Johnson was fired?

Probably more for the reason that for the 3rd str8 year we dipped in sacks. 2014 was like 35, 2015 was like 33, and then 2016 was 31 but the talent on the Dline vs last year was much better so the drop was inexcusable although a healthy Browner/Breaux Combo was obviously a little better than Sterling Moore/Ken Crawley for the majority of the season. I just personally think that in a game where QB's are smart as hell with Pre-snap reads and getting the ball out quickly that the real game changers are the guys on the outside who can hold up in coverage long enough to allow the pass rushers 3-4 seconds to get to the ball.

No passrusher in the history of FB is getting to the QB in 2 seconds unless he's unblocked and even then its probably a throw away from him and it was done on purpose.

There aren't very many von millers but heres a good article he wrote for the players tribune. He doesn't mention coverage but he does throw out the 3-4 second threshold that it takes to get to the QB and he also mentions that snap timing/explosion is what really gives him a chance. He points out how Brady basically gets them into the right play everytime and the only thing I can think of is Week 17 where Ryan got them into the right play everytime.

The only remedy for that is guys who can win the battles 1 on 1 even when its the right play.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/von-miller-the-5-toughest-guys-in-the-nfl/

Man Cameron Jordan had almost 80 QB hurries. Could you imagine if we had a decent RDE??

Man Cameron Jordan had almost 80 QB hurries. Could you imagine if we had a decent RDE??

Yeah I could. 2014 he had Junior across from him.

Could I imagine how good he'd be if he had the 2013 secondary. ABSOLUTELY..he'd likely go for 12.5 sacks again. Cam is definitely a 4-5 second passrusher. Miller a 3-4. Coverage is going to be a bigger help to Cam converting those hurries/pressures.

Scheme and disguise helps against young QB's but it can only take you so far against elite QB's that identify presnap

Surprised by Robertson. I thought he played pretty good for just being thrown in there.

Imagine how good Jordan would look if the refs didn't allow the offensive line to hold him on literally every other play. It was crazy to watch if you paid specific attention to it this year.

I feel like the D line was better than 28th, but brought way down by the backers

It might seem that they weren't that bad but the reality is they were. In the first half of the season we were on track to best our own pitiful record of worst defense ever. Save for the Giants game our D was a sieve.

Probably more for the reason that for the 3rd str8 year we dipped in sacks. 2014 was like 35, 2015 was like 33, and then 2016 was 31 but the talent on the Dline vs last year was much better so the drop was inexcusable although a healthy Browner/Breaux Combo was obviously a little better than Sterling Moore/Ken Crawley for the majority of the season. I just personally think that in a game where QB's are smart as hell with Pre-snap reads and getting the ball out quickly that the real game changers are the guys on the outside who can hold up in coverage long enough to allow the pass rushers 3-4 seconds to get to the ball.

No passrusher in the history of FB is getting to the QB in 2 seconds unless he's unblocked and even then its probably a throw away from him and it was done on purpose.

There aren't very many von millers but heres a good article he wrote for the players tribune. He doesn't mention coverage but he does throw out the 3-4 second threshold that it takes to get to the QB and he also mentions that snap timing/explosion is what really gives him a chance. He points out how Brady basically gets them into the right play everytime and the only thing I can think of is Week 17 where Ryan got them into the right play everytime.

The only remedy for that is guys who can win the battles 1 on 1 even when its the right play.

The 5 Toughest Guys I

That's a pretty good article. I believe if you bump and get physical with a receiver then that might expand the window for a pass rush. Supposedly back in 98 when we were facing the Vikings (Randy Moss rookie year), we were physical with him and held him 0 catches for the day. I think we were the only team to do that.

I believe the Falcons has a good game plan and took advantage of our coverages by spreading everyone out. Some of our linebackers are ok, but they could not cover the Falcons running backs.

Off subject but it's crazy how Vonn Miller mentions that Chris Ivory was the toughest running back he ever faced. It's crazy because we have little to show for giving him away.

Can't rely on PFF to tell you how well our line played

Cam is a stud, Fairley played at almost a pro bowl level, rankins looks like the beast DT we needed and Kruger played well in kikahas absence

Yeah I could. 2014 he had Junior across from him.

Could I imagine how good he'd be if he had the 2013 secondary. ABSOLUTELY..he'd likely go for 12.5 sacks again. Cam is definitely a 4-5 second passrusher. Miller a 3-4. Coverage is going to be a bigger help to Cam converting those hurries/pressures.

Scheme and disguise helps against young QB's but it can only take you so far against elite QB's that identify presnap

I remember Cam having a down year in 2014 while Junior was pretty consistent. Not only did his sack total drop, but for the most part he looked like a completely different player.

There were a few threads about him early in the season saying that there is an AMB out for Cam Jordan. I figured it was mainly because teams payed more attention to him and double teamed him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom