PFF Ranks the Final 4 Teams in the Playoffs (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I know that threw this year people have been critical of PFF and for good reason (favoring Tom Brady for the same thing they criticize Brees for, poor ratings,
Etc.), and these ratings will probably only fuel the fire.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...ce-championship-teams-at-every-position-group

QUARTERBACK
1. Chiefs
2. Saints
3. Patriots
4. Rams

It’s not surprising that this is the strongest positional group. All four quarterbacks graded inside the top 10 this season. Patrick Mahomes’ game-to-game consistency earns the top spot though. He only had one game grade below 65.0 while everyone else had at least three. From there, the only debate was Tom Brady or Jared Goff at three. Goff started the season on fire and was the third-highest-graded quarterback in the NFL through 10 weeks. His late-season lull though gave Brady the nod.

RUNNING BACK
1. Saints
2. Rams
3. Patriots
4. Chiefs

The emergence of C.J. Anderson throws a bit of a wrench into things here. Still, Alvin Kamara has consistently been the most elusive of all the backs over the last two years, while Mark Ingram II has averaged the most yards after contact per attempt this season (3.2). Kareem Hunt would have sent the Chiefs to the top of these rankings, but that doesn’t mean that Damien Williams is any slouch in the fourth spot. His 2.7 yards after contact per attempt this season is more than respectable.

No arguments with any of those really. However:

LBs
1. Saints
2. Rams

Who would have thought that linebackers would be a strength on the defense this season? Thank you Demario Davis!

They specifically list Crawley as a detriment.

Duh. Maybe that's why he hasn't started in over a month.

Last edited:
No arguments with any of those really. However:

LBs
1. Saints
2. Rams

Who would have thought that linebackers would be a strength on the defense this season? Thank you Demario Davis!
Night and day from how it started...

When you rank the experience factor in Brees and Brady trump Mahomes bigly....

I generally agree with the rankings. I would question the defensive-back ranking, but will add that our defensive backs have underachieved given the talent in that unit. Before the season, I thought the secondary, because of the talent, would be a team strength. With Apple, we now have two first-round picks and two second-round picks starting; additionally, we drafted in later rounds two defensive backs, though neither made the final round of cuts.

If the Saints would have blown out the Eagles last week. We would be far and away the best team in the medias eyes. I think a lot of them are seeing the offense not score 50 every week and still can't get past the defenses of a few years ago. For me, an extremely biased Saints fan, this team is better than all of them. We have won games in every which way possible. That means whatever a team does to us, we adjust accordingly and can out play them at their own game. You have to be a very talented team to be able to play like this, and this is why I think they're the most dangerous team in the playoffs.

If you watch sports media it's:

1: Rams/Chiefs (tie)
2: Patriots
56: Saints

I've never seen idiots with so much recency bias and unable to think critically.
Weren’t you the one who questioned the PFF guy about how he graded Brady more favorably than Brees for the exact same thing, or was that someone else?

I agree, with you in that there is a massive amount of recency bias. Suddenly, now that the Rams have CJ Anderson suddenly they have one of the best run games in the NFL like Kamara and Ingram are chopped liver.

Weren’t you the one who questioned the PFF guy about how he graded Brady more favorably than Brees for the exact same thing, or was that someone else?

I agree, with you in that there is a massive amount of recency bias. Suddenly, now that the Rams have CJ Anderson suddenly they have one of the best run games in the NFL like Kamara and Ingram are chopped liver.

My position on PFF is that it's good for 30,000 foot views of players, but if you start arguing the difference between a 65 and 75 rating, it's useless because they've got their biases like anyone else. That guys explanation on why Brady was rated higher for that game still makes zero sense.

I like to simply use their more broad average, above average, etc. rankings vs. the specific number to get an idea on a player.

I thought that was a weird comment too. Has he played outside of garbage time since the Vikings game?
I think he had one snap against the Eagles when Lattimore came out for a play. LOL.

The Saints are capable of better play than their ranking shows, but P.J. Williams (56.4) and Ken Crawley’s (50.7) disastrous overall grades this season are what dragged them down in the season-long ranking.
I assume the ranking really would be much better if it was just Lattimore, Apple and Williams (who has been much better since we got Apple and he had better corners on both sides of him) being graded with Crawley left out. I wonder why they thought that he should even be included. Did they count the rating of bench players for the other three teams too? Doesn't look like it.

Last edited:
I think the pressure will be to much for Goff. He's not very good on road. 10 td's and 9 int's on road.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom