PFF: Re-Focused, Texans @ Saints (1 Viewer)

Hanau Eepe Saint

Will Hill's #1 fan
Reaction score
Didn't see this posted:

3) Run defense Improving
There is a lot to criticize in the Saints defense but at least the run defense of the starting defensive line was up to the task. The Texans offensive line is a very competent and well-drilled unit, but at the line of scrimmage New Orleans players not only held their own but made a statement of intent too.
As pass rushers only Will Smith with five hurries was up to the task but when it came to stopping the run, all played well.
Cameron Jordan beat up on both Eric Winston and Mike Brisiel, Sedrick Ellis got the better of an out of sorts Wade Smith (This is two weeks in a row now Smith has been under par) and Smith celebrated his return from suspension by giving Duane Brown his first problems of 2011.
Time and again the DRE got inside the LT to make crucial stops and at least make the Houston offense take note. Is this a sign of things to come or just a blip? The quality of the opposition suggests the former but Jacksonville next week will at least provide more evidence.

PFF Game Ball:
Will Smith, DE, New Orleans Saints
To play this well on his first game back and provide at least some resistance in defense Will Smith just pips Brees for the honors.

Re-Focused - Texans @ Saints, Week 3 | ProFootballFocus.com

Didn't see this posted:

PFF Game Ball:
Will Smith, DE, New Orleans Saints
To play this well on his first game back and provide at least some resistance in defense Will Smith just pips Brees for the honors.

Re-Focused - Texans @ Saints, Week 3 | ProFootballFocus.com

Thanks for posting. I really do enjoy reading these as they provide a bit of a deeper analysis of the game than the usual media outlets. It's interesting they suggest both Brown and DLP outplayed the guys they replaced. I'm looking forward to watching the game again and seeing it for myself.

Also, they gave Sed Ellis same props....usually they rip into him with some real gusto. That must mean he's playing pretty well.

Nice job by those guys. No arguments here at all.

And to clear up the mystery of why De la Peunte is active instead of Tennant, Sean Payton more or less said in his latest press conference that DLP deserved it over Tennant through his play. I'm surprised but fair play to the coaching staff for making their assessment purely on what the players do and not how they come to the team (draft, FA, etc). Well done to DLP and he deserves the props he's getting.

man its good to have will smith back.

Will Smith was a monster even though he didnt get sacks, he was in on the run stops and he was in Shaub's face all day. Actually our Dline looked solid and the game went on and they started figuring out that cut blocking scheme. A lot of those bad throws Shaub was making was because of the defensive line.

man its good to have will smith back.

After the packers game, someone suggested that Will Smith would not have made a difference...

I told them that we lost by one play... ONE PLAY... I think it's easy to suggest that Will Smith would have gotten one pressure that would have caused an incompletion that would have led to a punt or a field goal instead of a TD...

At the end of the day, Will Smith is a difference maker even if it's not by the way of 13 Sacks... He's a very good player..

Will Smith is going to help us a lot. We also will see the progress of Cam Jordon (I am hoping) as the season progresses. Would be nice to have those two going off for the playoffs.

Thanks for posting. I really do enjoy reading these as they provide a bit of a deeper analysis of the game than the usual media outlets. It's interesting they suggest both Brown and DLP outplayed the guys they replaced. I'm looking forward to watching the game again and seeing it for myself.

Also, they gave Sed Ellis same props....usually they rip into him with some real gusto. That must mean he's playing pretty well.

It was pretty obvious that Brown outplayed Strief once he came in.

DLP outplaying Kreutz is one I didn't realize though.

But wasnt Mario hurt by that time? I just cant believe Brown with from losing out to Strief in training camp, to out playing him that quickly.

I finally managed to have a look again at the game. I liked DLP's run blocking and he does show a bit more power than Kreutz. Overall I think we're a little bit better off with Kreutz to be honest. DLP was decent in pass blocking but from time to time you saw him lose his balance/get out of position/fall down. That makes me slightly nervous. But the little bit of extra oomph in the run game was nice....the combo blocks between him and Evans need a bit of work though. And I could be completely biased and totally off base but I think Tennant is a better center than De la Peunte and if Kreutz doesn't play next week, I'm not so sure that DLP starts.

Brown was better in the run game than I thought and he was pretty solid in the pass game. There were a couple moments in pass pro that weren't great but all in all really solid. I'm glad Mario Williams didn't last long after Brown came in though. All in all, a promising beginning for Brown. I'd be surprised if he's not starting for at least a few games. Here's his chance...really sucks for Strief but that's the way it goes in this game.

I will say though that the WR's getting open regulalrly and Drew being in the zone really helped the O-line out. That's what killed us with GB...too many times with nobody open or not open fast enough.

i love those articles from that website- so much deeper than usual sports sites- thanks for continuing to post them

But wasnt Mario hurt by that time? I just cant believe Brown with from losing out to Strief in training camp, to out playing him that quickly.

I'm not saying this is fact but sometimes you don't lose out so much as the coaches trust a guy more... Despite how much some fans try to make our back ups out to be great, the fact of the matter is Strief is pretty slow footed and I'm not surprised that Brown looked good because he's a better athlete... Having said that, I would trust Strief more not to blow an assignment that gets the QB or a play blown up..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom