PFF Review of NO vs CAR (1 Viewer)

oldJC.SAINTS

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Crawley had a strong game in limited play, I was happy for the kid.

In the comeback effort, Brees made some of his most impressive throws of the season, including a touchdown pass to tight end Coby Fleener that he fit in through one of the smallest windows you’ll ever see. Those don’t overshadow some egregious mistakes early in the game, however, ...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-no-car-grades-cam-newton-excels/

Crawley had a strong game in limited play, I was happy for the kid.

In the comeback effort, Brees made some of his most impressive throws of the season, including a touchdown pass to tight end Coby Fleener that he fit in through one of the smallest windows you’ll ever see. Those don’t overshadow some egregious mistakes early in the game, however, ...

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-no-car-grades-cam-newton-excels/

see this is the problem i have with subjective grading.

Cam was 14 of 33 for 192 yds. thats 5.12 yds per attempt ...Drew was 35/44 for 285 or 6.5 yds per attempt.

Yet the very first paragraph lauds Cam for his "play" and later below admonishes Drew for his.

The int the ball clearly got away from him - yes a mistake. but hardly a mistake that we couldnt overcome.

It just boggles my mind that a QB that posts a 42% completion stat gets credited for the win.

His last completion...was pure luck. He threw all arm, no real sightline and knew it was his 6'6" WR.

But dont pee on me and tell me its raining.

see this is the problem i have with subjective grading.

Cam was 14 of 33 for 192 yds. thats 5.12 yds per attempt ...Drew was 35/44 for 285 or 6.5 yds per attempt.

Yet the very first paragraph lauds Cam for his "play" and later below admonishes Drew for his.

The int the ball clearly got away from him - yes a mistake. but hardly a mistake that we couldnt overcome.

It just boggles my mind that a QB that posts a 42% completion stat gets credited for the win.

His last completion...was pure luck. He threw all arm, no real sightline and knew it was his 6'6" WR.

But dont pee on me and tell me its raining.

Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are the 5 highest graded QB in their system.

Ezekiel Elliott, Jay Ajayi, Melvin Gordon, Demarco Murray, David Johnson are the top 5 RB.

Julio, Jone, AJ Green, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin, Stefon Diggs are the top 5 WR

Luke Kuechly, Jerrell Freeman, Bobby Wagner, Zach Brown and KJ Wright top 5

Might be subjective, but I see it as pretty close to the truth...

Cam Newton, maybe that was luck but did not cost his team the game in the end, and that 3rd down pass was money considering what it meant and that he was under pressure... While, Brees was a big part of the comeback attempt but was also a big part of the reasons we had to have a comeback in the first place.

Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are the 5 highest graded QB in their system.

Ezekiel Elliott, Jay Ajayi, Melvin Gordon, Demarco Murray, David Johnson are the top 5 RB.

Julio, Jone, AJ Green, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin, Stefon Diggs are the top 5 WR

Luke Kuechly, Jerrell Freeman, Bobby Wagner, Zach Brown and KJ Wright top 5

Might be subjective, but I see it as pretty close to the truth...

Cam Newton, maybe that was luck but did not cost his team the game in the end, and that 3rd down pass was money considering what it meant and that he was under pressure... While, Brees was a big part of the comeback attempt but was also a big part of the reasons we had to have a comeback in the first place.
Yes it was blind luck. If Bell is 2 yds deeper, ball is tipped at the very least.

I can point to 5 other players/plays in this game that affected the outcome outside of a first half int. 2 of which happened on special teams.

This loss wasn't because Drew tossed and interception in the first half. We scored 17 pts in the 4 quarter alone. We had miserable field position in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and one crucial incomplete to Coleman that would have put us inside their 25 with 11 min to go...instead we punted.

I just don't see how the interception was the reason the team was faltering.

Maybe I read wrong but that's the impression it left me with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

That Cam Newton grade is ridiculous. He didn't turn the ball over, but he looked average at best.

That Cam Newton grade is ridiculous. He didn't turn the ball over, but he looked average at best.
There isn't a franchise QB out there that after a 14 of 33 performance would be doted on such as he.

If we had average defense and special teams play, this game would have been over in the 3rd.

Between his incessant complaining ( hey look stats during game alluding to it ) his presser antics, and his mediocre play...it's that defense that makes that team go.

That team wins DESPITE a 14 of 33 performance by their franchise QB.

Yes it was blind luck. If Bell is 2 yds deeper, ball is tipped at the very least.

This may be posted all over this forum but you're the first person I've seen say it, and i agree. That conversion was all on Bell.

I should add, I thought he was playing well until that play.

This may be posted all over this forum but you're the first person I've seen say it, and i agree. That conversion was all on Bell.

If you noticed, Allen had his arm around him after they finally stopped them and they called TO prior to the punt.

The camera caught this. That's what DA was talking to him about and keeping the kids confidence up. In time, he will just "know" where to be. This is part of rookie growth in the NFL.

I hate Scam Newton, I don't need any preach :) I don't think he was MVP of the game, but I don't know who I would have picked.

Cam Newton was pressured on nearly half of his 35 dropbacks in the game. He completed just five of 15 passes when under pressure, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Four passes were either thrown away or he was hit as throwing. Out of his five completions, four went for either a first down with at least 10 yards to go or a touchdown, including the pinpoint TD pass to Ted Ginn in the back of the end zone at the end of the first half. He also had a pass dropped and another poked out....

So that u get a better view of their grades:

- Cam Newton with 83.7 is just above average
- Drew Brees with 73.9 is average
- Kurt Coleman with 90 is elite
- Cam Jordan with 87 is high quality

That's grades from best to worst, 6 categories:
(it is what is, at least I found it is clear)

Elite - High quality - Above average - Average - Below average - Poor

They had not much of a running game (kudos to our D)... they had good field position because of mistakes we made and they capitalized on it. That TD to Ginn was a killer... without Scam they loose, without Brees being perfect we dont have much of a chance (2 turnovers last week by Brees we loose, two turnover this week we loose... we beat SD with Drew throwing two int, but SD made two crazy stupid mistakes within a couple of minutes...

I am not saying it's all on Brees, not at all. I am saying that over the last few seasons if Brees makes two or more mistakes (turnovers) we barely stand a chance...

Last edited:

Bell is a good tackler and awesome on run support, but he's been pretty average in coverage. I noticed plenty of good plays on run support, but so far maybe one good play on coverage. Anyway, he might already be our best S but wondering if SS would not be his best position. Which would be the complete opposite of its NFL draft card report !!

Bell lacks size and isn't an aggressive tackler...

Vonn Bell Draft Profile

I think Bell will get better, he's already exceeding my expectations. I also gotta give it to Krawley. I've been one of the few who wasn't a fan. He played well in this game.

Bell is a good tackler and awesome on run support, but he's been pretty average in coverage. I noticed plenty of good plays on run support, but so far maybe one good play on coverage. Anyway, he might already be our best S but wondering if SS would not be his best position. Which would be the complete opposite of its NFL draft card report !!

Bell lacks size and isn't an aggressive tackler...

Vonn Bell Draft Profile

I remember reading that on his draft profile. It definitely doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom