PFF Saints Depth Chart Paints a Clear, Glaring Need (1 Viewer)

I'd like to know how they grade DTs. How do they know what their assignment was? Surely they aren't just looking at splash plays where a guy shoots a gap and blows up the play. Occupying Guards and Centers to protect LBers is a big part of the job in most schemes. Occupying holes and space is a big part of the job and it's not really pretty or glamorous.

So we just dolled out the brinks truck for Peat and Onyameta and picked up the 5th year option for Rankins and combined they will make almost 30 million this year for two players that graded out necessary to replace right now and the third as replacement level player????

Defensive tackle has gotta be a hard position to grade for any analytics system. What’s a successful play? If you shoot a gap, eat two blocks and a linebacker cleans up, you didn’t “make the play” but you certainly did your job. I think these numbers show that we’ve got quality edge guys, because they’re consistently isolated and easier to grade and they’re highly touted. Not sure I would put much stock into the interior defensive linemen.
I believe in their ratings of DL they heavily weigh Effecting the Pass game much more than they do Run Defense, so I believe they score Pressures, Hits, Pass Rush wins more highly than Run Defense plays which might explain the low rating. IMO Onyemeta had a lot of Run stops, or he occupied a lot of Double teams, so it seems they didn't factor that highly in their grading system or they just don't value run Defense as much. (could be wrong maybe someone knows the PFF rating system more than my take)

I believe in their ratings of DL they heavily weigh Effecting the Pass game much more than they do Run Defense, so I believe they score Pressures, Hits, Pass Rush wins more highly than Run Defense plays which might explain the low rating. IMO Onyemeta had a lot of Run stops, or he occupied a lot of Double teams, so it seems they didn't factor that highly in their grading system or they just don't value run Defense as much. (could be wrong maybe someone knows the PFF rating system more than my take)

The number you see is an overall number. It takes into consideration penalties, run defense, pass rush, tackling, and coverage. They also have ratings for each one of those categories.

David Onyemata 2019
Overall - 55.3
Rush Def - 59.7
Tackling - 51.2
Pass Rush - 61.7
Coverage - 50.3

Here are his 2018 stats
Overall - 80.8
Rush Def - 75.8
Tackling - 59.8
Pass Rush - 75.8
Coverage - 60.2

Last edited:
Analytics can’t replace or make me disagree with what I see myself... The Saints a LB and CB depth. Another WR would come in 3rd.
One of the top 3 O-lines in the league is still completely intact.

Wouldn’t have hurt my feelings to have replaced Peat. In fact, I think the majority thought he was gone. Yet, we’re committed to him now. Hopefully he steps up his game because he is pretty decent when not playing through injury, which unfortunately seems to be a lot.

Marcus Williams? What's wrong with his grade? A bad play or two doesn't kill a player's grade. The secondary as a whole has allowed significantly less deep balls since Williams took over at FS.

Williams plays good 80% of the time but all of his mistakes are of the big/choke variety. PFF doesn’t weight how bad the bad plays are.

Marcus Williams? What's wrong with his grade? A bad play or two doesn't kill a player's grade. The secondary as a whole has allowed significantly less deep balls since Williams took over at FS.

Im not saying he’s a bad player.

I’m saying he’s not the 3rd best player on our defense nor the best in our secondary. I’d argue he is, at best, the 4th-best in our secondary.

I know PFF discussed their grading a few years ago when I first really started reading their grading and basically the way it works is on a play by play basis. If you do your job successfully for 9 plays and then get burnt like Jim Nantz toast on the 10th, you’ll have a good grade even though you spend several plays a game looking like a liability.

To me this just shows that along with giving up the one obvious awful play constantly, Peat also struggles on a play to play basis. He’s absolutely a major concern. I hope he improves, but it would be wise to prepare in case he doesn’t.

I know. But their grading is also subject to their own understanding of what each player’s responsibility is on any given play.

They are wrong a lot. I had a chance to sit in on a meeting with an NFL head coach a couple years ago and he ripped PFF to shreds, especially when it came to OL grading.

Im not saying he’s a bad player.

I’m saying he’s not the 3rd best player on our defense nor the best in our secondary. I’d argue he is, at best, the 4th-best in our secondary.
Gotta remember that PFF not only doesn't count how crucial the timing of plays are, but they also don't account for who you're defending. Allowing a receiving TD to Zach Line is graded the same as allowing Mike Thomas to score. Anoyher thing is they are all relative only to their own position. Comparing the overall grade of a WR and CB wouldn't not equate at all.

Imo, remembering to consider factors like those, I do find PFF very useful, although far from perfect.

Edit:
Also remember that PFF is a tool/stat, no different than Tackles, Sacks, and Passer Rating. No one number can tell you the full story. PFF is just more information to consider, and I don't see how that can be bad.

This isn't directed at you Saint Spud. Just see a lot of PFF bashing on the board, and had the urge to put in my 2 cents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom