PFF Saints team needs (1 Viewer)

"If" we get a better pass rush??? Is this the magic kingdom? I thought that was the most significant area of concern.

OT is only a big need if we lose Bushrod. If we don't, upgrading the pass rush is the prime area where we can improve this team quickly. There's no doubt that we could try to upgrade what we have at tackle through the draft (can't really afford it through FA) but this is a want, not a need. Not yet anyway.

OT is only a big need if we lose Bushrod. If we don't, upgrading the pass rush is the prime area where we can improve this team quickly. There's no doubt that we could try to upgrade what we have at tackle through the draft (can't really afford it through FA) but this is a want, not a need. Not yet anyway.

Strief is getting past his prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

We already have the players on the dline to move to DE in Hicks and Johnson...so we dont need to hold on to W.Smith and with Ellis being a FA we can let him walk and keep Bunkley at NT and draft his eventual replacement and future player at the position in the draft. Hawthorne and Lofton will be the thumpers at MLB and we can move Chamberlin behind them in a reserve role and Casillas can be a rush linebacker behind starters Wilson and Galette.

The defensive players we draft will be used to add depth on defense or potentially start depending on who we target...but I think we already have the players to lay the ground work for this scheme switch already on the roster and it wont be about adding players in FA but keeping guys already on the roster and filling holes in the draft and UDFA.

Strief is getting past his prime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

He's not an all-pro but he's effective enough for us to win surely? And he's in his prime right now. You might suggest his prime is not good enough but that's a different statement.

Far more benefit to the team from drafting someone on defense - that's where we need more playmakers. If we need to replace, LT becomes a massive issue. If it's a matter of upgrade at OT more generally, we should worry about defense.

He's not an all-pro but he's effective enough for us to win surely? And he's in his prime right now. You might suggest his prime is not good enough but that's a different statement.

Far more benefit to the team from drafting someone on defense - that's where we need more playmakers. If we need to replace, LT becomes a massive issue. If it's a matter of upgrade at OT more generally, we should worry about defense.

I would definitely say that both Bushrod and Strief have reached their ceilings. Due to the depth in D in this class I would almost rather us go OT at 15 regardless of Bushrod resigning or not.

I would definitely say that both Bushrod and Strief have reached their ceilings. Due to the depth in D in this class I would almost rather us go OT at 15 regardless of Bushrod resigning or not.

I wouldn't cry if we got an OT in the first. It's definitely something that has value. But we should be fine at OT and a top player on defense would improve the team more.

everything good and nice but who knows what happens between now and the offseason. iwth our cap situation we might very well have to create a few needs before we can start fixing things

I wouldn't cry if we got an OT in the first. It's definitely something that has value. But we should be fine at OT and a top player on defense would improve the team more.

We know Loomis' modus operandi by this point. After FA (and before the draft), all the glaring the needs on the team will be filled, either by guys already on the roster or mid-level FAs. I've long been impressed by the way that Loomis and SP seem to somehow put a fieldable team together prior to draft day. I think Bushrod's deal will get done, and it's going to be BPA with defensive players winning a tie.

Interesting article from PFT about the OT FA class this year:

Free-agent tackles could have a hard time getting paid | ProFootballTalk

Bodes well for us either 1) being able to sign Bushrod (or someone else) for a manageable price or 2) having someone fall to us at #15 if some of the teams with pressing needs at OT find somebody in their price range in free agency.

Based on that article we definitely won't be drafting an OT in the 1st round, we'll either draft someone late or grab someone in FA if we don't make a new Bushrod deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom