PFF: The Overrated Sack (1 Viewer)

I like reading their stuff too, but they're not always right. This is one of those instances where I feel like they're over-analyzing.

That's fair. But I guess for a junky like me there is no such thing as over-analyzing. Shoot, I'd like to see a stat about which cleets are the most successfully :hihi:

Hmm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 67
i kinda agree with the article. the sack stat is overblown at times but guys who are good at getting sacks are definitely worth their weight in gold. some of the best Def in the history of the game DIDNT HAVE A CONSISTENT 12+ SACK A YEAR GUY. i think the overlooked stat is QB PRESSURES. Pressuring the QB and getting him out of rhythm can cause more TO's and potential PICK 6 opportunities than a sack could.

It is also essential to have good CB coverage. If the CBs cannot cover no player is going to get many sacks because the first read will be open as a rule. Where you see good coverage the QB has to hold onto the ball just that split second longer thinking. That's shin you start to see a lot of sacks. Unless you are playing Cleveland.

Sacks are important AND the stat is overrated. They show successfully getting to the QB killing drives all that... BUT the stat used in comparing players is overrated. More people talk about Aldon Smith, but how did he do when Justin Smith wasn't full strength? DTs and run stuffers get less respect because of the hype around sacks, but they are just as, if not more important on a every down basis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom