PFT: Dungy out as Colts coach (1 Viewer)

blackngold4877

Very Banned
Reaction score
DUNGY OUT, CALDWELL IN

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2008, 2:09 p.m.
A league source tells us that Colts coach Tony Dungy will step down, and that assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell will take the reins.

Is Jim Caldwell black?

Would be a little ironic for the Colts to run afoul of the Rooney rule right after Dungy retires :hihi:

I think Peyton Manning is the offiensive coordinator Moore calls in plays that Manning always changes at the line, lol

NFL rules, you have to interview a minority candidate before selecting a coach and if Dungy were just handing over the reins to a white guy it would technically be a violation, dumb as that may be.

I agree with you, why the heck does it matter what color the guy is? I understand the sentiment behind the rule, but in a way it kind of has that "token" effect which I find insulting to minority HC candidates.

I agree with you, why the heck does it matter what color the guy is? I understand the sentiment behind the rule, but in a way it kind of has that "token" effect which I find insulting to minority HC candidates.

Well that too. I was referring more to the point that Dungy is black himself so it would be stupid (and hilarious, mind you) to invoke the Rooney rule.

I understand the sentiment behind the rule, but in a way it kind of has that "token" effect which I find insulting to minority HC candidates.

The opportunity to interview for a position is almost always in your best interest in most any modern white-collar workplace. It's even more so in the NFL though.

Well that too. I was referring more to the point that Dungy is black himself so it would be stupid (and hilarious, mind you) to invoke the Rooney rule.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with the rule, I actually like the rule. Just commenting on the irony involved in nailing the Colts for violating the Rooney Rule right after Dungy retires.

The opportunity to interview for a position is almost always in your best interest in most any modern white-collar workplace. It's even more so in the NFL though.

Of course - look at how Tomlin "wow'd" the Rooneys when he interviewed for that position that was already 3/4 already given to Grimm or Whiz.

I just think that when an organization already has "their guy" picked out - think Jason Garret in Dallas in 2-3 years, it's insulting to bring in a minority candidate to interview simply for the sake of complying with a rule. Think of it like this - skin color should have no impact in who gets hired for any job, therefore it should have no impact in who gets interviewed for any job either...football or otherwise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom