PFT Is Father Time Closing in on Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

i hope he doesnt this year. come on super bowl! then retire owning just about every QB stat there is and 2 sb rings.

Even if Drew takes a step back, he's still going to be good. Unless he has a precipitous decline like Manning did in his final season. I don't see that happening to Drew though. I think Drew will have a gradual decline until he hangs them up.

So if Drew is elite and takes step back, he'll simply be very good. If he takes two steps back he'll just be good. If he totally falls off he'll be average. And the way this team is built Drew doesn't have to carry the team on his shoulders anymore. He doesn't have to pull off miracles to drag teams with historically bad defenses to 7 win seasons.

I read this yesterday and didn't start a thread on it because it's just the same old crap they say every year about him. I'm willing to bet that they'll never be right about this because Drew isn't the kind of guy who'll keep playing if he's not able to be 100% effective in the offense.

He definitely looked far worse the last 1/3 of the season last year than the first 2/3 and the numbers back that up. It should be concerning. How much of that was poor receiver play and play calling I can’t say. We’ll see. Hopefully we get one more stellar year.

He definitely looked far worse the last 1/3 of the season last year than the first 2/3 and the numbers back that up. It should be concerning. How much of that was poor receiver play and play calling I can’t say. We’ll see. Hopefully we get one more stellar year.

I think the bigger problem was poor interior OL play (due to injuries) which took away DB’s ability to step up in the pocket. Even when the protection did hold up, it wasn’t consistent enough for him to step up with confidence, IMO.

I think the bigger problem was poor interior OL play (due to injuries) which took away DB’s ability to step up in the pocket. Even when the protection did hold up, it wasn’t consistent enough for him to step up with confidence, IMO.

That O-Line would've been a great O-Line for Drew Brees 5-6 years ago. They gave him enough time. He clearly declined after the Cowboys game.

Honestly, if Drew Brees was 85% of the Drew Brees we know & love..... we would've beaten the Rams to make it to the Super Bowl (even with the bad call).

That O-Line would've been a great O-Line for Drew Brees 5-6 years ago. They gave him enough time. He clearly declined after the Cowboys game.

Honestly, if Drew Brees was 85% of the Drew Brees we know & love..... we would've beaten the Rams to make it to the Super Bowl (even with the bad call).
So you think the offensive line was Stellar from the Dallas game on? It was Patchwork at best and especially somebody like Smith played so poorly at wideout the second half of the year.

No, Drew had his best year ever as a saint (not yards, but proficiency).

The reason the offense stalled from Dallas game on was due to o-line health, our WR health and lack of play makers with Ginn injured and also the complete drop-off at TE.
Remember Watson didn't play against the Rams and Arnold dropped what would have been the game winning TD. (if he catches what should have been an easy TD we win that game).

We now have youth at Center (could be good, could be bad), Great depth at center and guard with Easton, Armstead and Ram both healthy and hopefully Warford healthy.

We brought in a ton of competition at WR and also Signed the best Free Agent TE available.

Our offense will and should be a ton better.

Brees was magnificent for the 1st 2/3 of the season and was ordinary during the final 1/3 and playoffs. I agree that Ginn's injury + the inexperience of Smith/Kirkwood (hope they make a leap in their 2nd years) + some OL injuries affected Brees. But, Brees horribly underthrew Ginn to start the Eagles playoff game. He also threw way behind Ginn for what would've been a 1st down in field goal range in the 2nd half vs. the Rams. He threw at MT13's ankles when he was open on the 1st down before the no-call. Plus, the longball Ginn caught to set up our final field goal was badly underthrown too. We were lucky Ginn caught it. It wasn't entirely the OL and Ginn's injury that caused Brees' fade. He's old and it stands to reason the long season would take a bigger toll than it did in 09.

If we win this year, it will be b/c our defense steps up down the stretch/in the playoffs (something they failed to do at the end of the NFCCG). The Broncos won in '15 even though I think Peyton Manning died during the season and was being propped up Weekend At Bernie's style in the playoffs. Brees should be nowhere near that bad, but it's fair to ask the question and have some concerns.

I'll be honest, I saw a few passes last year that simply looked short and not normal for Drew. That said, I don't know if it's because of declining arm or simple unfamiliarity with the WR rotation due to injury last year.

Drew's numbers in the last four games of the season were very un-Drew like. It could've been arm fatigue. It could've been the start of his decline that will continue into this season. It could've been poor O Line play. Or poor WR play. Or teams finally realizing they really only needed to cover MT and AK. Or it could've been a combination of things.

But looking at his game logs last season, one thing jumped out at me. In the six games before the Dallas game, Drew was sacked a total of 2 times. In the last six games of the season he was sacked 11 times. So from the Dallas game until the NFC Championship Drew was sacked almost twice a game.

If the O Line can stay healthy then I'll take my chances with Drew Brees. Even if the wheels fall off and he's only half the player he once was.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom