PFT Is Father Time Closing in on Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

We have a legit TE, get ready to set records again this season.
When this offense has a legit threat on seam routes, a legit threat on the outside and a legit threat at RB, it's over.

Yeah, I'm hoping Cook pans out. Even though people mention Watson was out in the NFCCG, the fact is he was largely a non-factor in the final 3rd of the season. Yes, I like Ben Watson, he seems like a very nice man and had some strong seasons in the black & gold, but last year he definitely looked over-the-hill, especially later in the season.

And even if Smith and/or Kirkwood improve just a little bit, that's something. It's a pretty small list of WRs who entered the league fully formed as rookies (even Julio Jones' rookie numbers are way lower than any of his other seasons except for the one he got hurt).

We have a legit TE, get ready to set records again this season.
When this offense has a legit threat on seam routes, a legit threat on the outside and a legit threat at RB, it's over.

His long ball is suffering? Then how did he STILL lead the league w/accuracy on the long pass?
His stats & performance have shown up Brady & Rodgers almost every year. He NEVER misses a game due to injury, accuracy is off the hook & absolutely carried some of the worst historical defenses; good thing he's too short, too slow, has a noodle arm, plays in a "QB friendly system" w/the "new" rules!
If you are the MOST EFFECTIVE/PROLIFIC passer in NFL history, how can his play not get worse, over time?

Yeah, I'm hoping Cook pans out. Even though people mention Watson was out in the NFCCG, the fact is he was largely a non-factor in the final 3rd of the season. Yes, I like Ben Watson, he seems like a very nice man and had some strong seasons in the black & gold, but last year he definitely looked over-the-hill, especially later in the season.

And even if Smith and/or Kirkwood improve just a little bit, that's something. It's a pretty small list of WRs who entered the league fully formed as rookies (even Julio Jones' rookie numbers are way lower than any of his other seasons except for the one he got hurt).

This is such a good point. All due respect to Ben Watson but it was easy to forget he was even playing last year. He had 35 rec, 400 yards, and 2 TDs. Cook could top those numbers in the first 6 games. He'd only need to average 6 catches and 67 yards to do so.

And you're right about Smith and/or Kirkwood. If they're even marginally improved that could have an impact on the entire offense. I'm close to giving up hope for Meredith but there's still the possibility that he can return to form. He'll turn 27 in September so it seems like he's young enough to bounce back. One of these guys will step up and be at least average.

And if you look at the game-by-game breakdowns, he had only 9 catches in weeks 9-16 of the season and 1 vs. PHI in the playoffs. Close to 75% of his production came in the first half of the season.

This is such a good point. All due respect to Ben Watson but it was easy to forget he was even playing last year. He had 35 rec, 400 yards, and 2 TDs. Cook could top those numbers in the first 6 games. He'd only need to average 6 catches and 67 yards to do so.

And you're right about Smith and/or Kirkwood. If they're even marginally improved that could have an impact on the entire offense. I'm close to giving up hope for Meredith but there's still the possibility that he can return to form. He'll turn 27 in September so it seems like he's young enough to bounce back. One of these guys will step up and be at least average.

And if you look at the game-by-game breakdowns, he had only 9 catches in weeks 9-16 of the season and 1 vs. PHI in the playoffs. Close to 75% of his production came in the first half of the season.

Yeah it wasn't a great situation at TE last season. Having a legitimate threat at TE, that alone should be huge. Then you throw in a healthy Ginn and another capable WR and who knows what could happen. Just thinking about 11 personnel gets me pumped.

MT, Ginn, Kirkwood/Smith, Cook, and AK?! How are you going to account for all those guys? With all of the attention MT and AK require, the other guys could feast on single coverage. And Drew carves up zones so what is a defense to do?

T Smith needs to step it up this year. he showed flashes last year, he needs to get more involved.

I'm not worried.

Here's footage of the last time Father Time tried to catch Brees.

tenor.gif
This is the freaking award winning reply to this thread. Two thumbs up old chief.

They should have made it the number 9 story of this season. That would have made the story even funnier. I hate to have to point this out, but there is a direct correlation to the drop off in Drew's game the last part of the season with the injuries his O. line suffered at the latter part of the season. I don't think Max Unger retired at the end of the season because Drew's game fell apart at the end. Then of course there was the replacement of Theron Armstead with Jermon Bushrod. How big a drop off in talent was that? Then Jermon couldn't hold up & you had Peat taking his place when Peat has never been a solid left tackle to begin with. By the time the season ended you had 7th round rookie pick Will Clapp manning a position on the line for goodness sake. Now I don't have a thing in the world against Clapp. But he might not even make the active roster this season. Then of course there's Larry Wofford, our best guard who played a lot of the season with nagging injuries which finally put him out which is why Clapp was in. Then to use a perfectly thrown ball to Lewis as an excuse when Brees had to let the play develop & put air under the ball to get to Lewis as an example of Brees' drop off is pathetic. Can Brees still zing the ball 70 yards down the field like he could when he was 30? Of course not. Hold the phone! You mean Brees never could zing the ball 70 yards down the field?

Then let's think back. What happened to our receiver group last season? Where did Cameron Merrideth our supposed BIG TIME free agent that everyone was fawning over go? What about Tedd Ginn Jr. Where was he most of the season? Then there was Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Brandon Tate, Josh Hill, Ben Watson. What happened to those guys? We ended the season with rookies Dan Arnold, Trequan Smith, And Keith Kirkwood & free agent Austin Carr being some of our biggest contributors on the team. My goodness man, most quarterbacks would have been getting fitted for a straight jacket, not in the running for MVP.

Sure father Time is closing in on Brees. For that matter its closing in on Aaron rogers & even Patrick Mahomes. Time eventually closes in on everyone. But the stone cold truth is Father time wore out our Offensive line, receiver group, & tight ends a LOT more than Brees And those were the BIG reasons for Drew's lack of production at the end of the season.
BEST POST TODAY!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom