PFT - NFL study shows no increased injuries for Thurs games (1 Viewer)

JimmyB1775

Guy behind the guy
Reaction score
NFL sees no increase in injuries on Thursdays | ProFootballTalk

They claim that there were no increases in injuries on a Thursday game vs. a Saturday or Sunday game.

What I read was "we found a statistic that says what we want everyone to think, so we're going to quote it over and over again". I'd like to know what the likelihood of teams' injury potential on normal games and then over the Thursday game and for the next few weeks. There's no way that beating the crap out of someone twice in 4 days is the same as twice in 8 days.

I think the study pool is still too small. They haven't been doing Thursday games long enough to really show if it has mad it worse on the players. I'd also like to see the number of players injured in the weeks following Thursday night games, and how closely those injuries occurred with the last Thursday night game.

Roger Goodell told us that NFL games played on Thursday is safe.

Oh, what a relief.

My studies show an increase in sloppy play on Thursday nights, especially by road teams.

I can't read the press release from here, so I'll withhold judgement for a bit.

However, average vs median injury rate can paint different stories, so it would be interesting to see the data.

They specifically sorted out concussions, and then said the overall injury rate is the same. I wonder if they broke it down. I.e. concussions as one category, muscle pulls/cramps as another, and joint tears, ligament damage, etc as another.

I think you also have to look at each team independently. i.e. do they have a normal rate and did Thursday increase or decrease?

They should poll the players about the Thursday games and see what they say. You know, because they're the ones who actually have to play them. All Thursday night has really been is an effort by the NFL to strongarm ubiquitous adoption of the NFL network. Do you seriously think ABC wouldn't jump at the chance to host Thursday NFL games? Do you seriously think they wouldn't pay more for them than the NFL makes with its own partially-adopted network? This isn't even about maximizing money in; this is about the NFL Network only.

Well, if the Rog approved this message, it must be true. I'm sure the NFL would never let an agenda get in the way of the truth. That would never happen...

I don't understand why they can't schedule bye weeks for the week before the Thursday night games for those teams. I know that an early or a late bye would be inconvenient but that can be solved by adding a second bye week to the season.

I don't understand why they can't schedule bye weeks for the week before the Thursday night games for those teams. I know that an early or a late bye would be inconvenient but that can be solved by adding a second bye week to the season.

Because they don't care.

Anything disregarding the effect of the short turnaround on the accumulated wear and tear that leads to injuries is a bogus study. Including the short week of practice. Studying the injuries that happen in that game alone is totally, and probably purposefully insufficient.

Just the fact that their was people injured on a Thursday means there is more injuries because of the extra day lol.

Not at all. It's not extra games, just the same number spread out over different days. There could very well be the same amount of injuries this year as last year but as was already stated, the sample size is too small.

Unless there is a significant increase in injuries overall, we are stuck with Thursday night games because it's pretty much impossible to prove whether a player was injured due to a short week or would have been injured regardless.

It's common sense that the less time between games makes it more likely for injuries; unfortunately, common sense loses to profit in most industries.

A similar study concluded that the NFL made lots of money with games on Thursday night. I'm sure the two studies are unrelated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom