PFT Rumor-Raiders MAY lift tag from Asomugha (1 Viewer)

workhorse

No White Flags!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pure speculation from Mike Florio assuming that the Hall trade goes through. You would think we would be in the running to land him along with Tampa Bay. I would do a back flip and kiss Walter Thomas on the lips if we landed Asomugha.

"With the Oakland Raiders closing in on a trade for cornerback DeAngelo Hall, which likely would also entail a big-money contract for the disgruntled Falcons, our guess is that the Raiders would then strip the exclusive franchise tag from cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha."

"If the franchise tag is rescinded, the player immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent. But since most of the big money already has flowed in free agency, Asomugha might be better off taking the one-year guarantee in 2008, and then hitting the open market in 2009."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Nnamdi Asomugha is second best man corner in the league, arguably a better corner than Champ himself. If Asomugha becomes a FA, I would be willing to pay him ridiculous ($100M) money.

forget about DRC, let's sign Asomugha. I don't know if the Saints would go after him though, they were being cheap about Briggs, but maybe an impact corner is a differnet story to them.

Oh happy day. If we could somehow get him... incredible. Didn't someone post on here that we are second in cap room left? If there's one player in the league that we should be giving a massive contract to, it's this guy. The only thing I don't understand is why wouldn't the Raiders, Al Davis' senility aside, try to trade him like the Packers did this year with Corey Williams when they slapped him with the tag. It would be huge if we got him somehow.

Edit: kind of a weak post by PFT. It's all purely speculative like workhorse said. It could happen, but there's a lot of if's with this one. We'll have to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:
Oh happy day. If we could somehow get him... incredible. Didn't someone post on here that we are second in cap room left? If there's one player in the league that we should be giving a massive contract to, it's this guy. The only thing I don't understand is why wouldn't the Raiders, Al Davis' senility aside, try to trade him like the Packers did this year with Corey Williams when they slapped him with the tag. It would be huge if we got him somehow.

yep...behind Tampa Bay.

note, big note.. the first 2 words in this.. PURE SPECULATION!!!! by a writer.

yep...behind Tampa Bay.

Good for us, since I can't see Tampa shelling out any record contracts for CB when they run the Tampa 2 where CB's are a dime a dozen. I'm looking for an updated cap room count, but so far nothing. Hopefully no one else in serious need of a stud corner has too much room. It's really too bad that Russ Ball left.

Last edited:
If this is even possible we should preemptively offer the Raiders our 3rd round pick for him. He is so good that it is worth spending the third rounder to make sure we get him, not the bucs or Giants.

Why would Tampa, a cover-2 team, want to pay that kind of money for a man corner?

Offer them a 2nd rounder this year and give them a player.

If they elect to pay D Hall over Asomugha....wow

LOL

Hilarious.

If this happened, and again, this is purely speculation, it would change things dramatically. I think it would change our draft mindset, we would probably cut a corner to save cash (probably Jason David) and maybe another player, and may even affect resigning Duece.

They placed the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugh because they consider him so valuable. It meant they didn't even want a team to be able to offer him a deal for 2 1st round pick compensations. Asomugh was the only exclusive franchise tag this year (Haynesworth, Suggs etc. non-exclusive). They are not going to give up picks for DeAngelo Hall so they can give away Asomugh for nothing. The only way we could get Asomugh is tempt Oakland with the 10th pick

Nnamdi Asomugha is second best man corner in the league, arguably a better corner than Champ himself. If Asomugha becomes a FA, I would be willing to pay him ridiculous ($100M) money.

You neither have to do that nor should you do that. I think a deal of 7 years, anywhere from $63 to 68 million would do it, provided he was to come free.

They placed the exclusive franchise tag on Asomugh because they consider him so valuable. It meant they didn't even want a team to be able to offer him a deal for 2 1st round pick compensations. Asomugh was the only exclusive franchise tag this year (Haynesworth, Suggs etc. non-exclusive). They are not going to give up picks for DeAngelo Hall so they can give away Asomugh for nothing. The only way we could get Asomugh is tempt Oakland with the 10th pick

Well sort of. They placed the exclusive rights tag on Woodson. I do not know if they consider Asomugha so valuable or if this is not simply Al Davis' way of doing things. Do not get me wrong, I do not think they are just open to losing Asomugha without a valuable replacement. But I also believe that the exclusive rights tag has more to do with preventing a player from going out there and possibly getting his actual market value. The Raiders have their own way of doing things that is pretty contrary to conventional wisdom.

I am not going to say that it is 100% certain they would remove the tag but it would not surprise me. I think if they came away with Hall, they might feel that they have a replacement for Asomugha just as they did with Woodson when they finally got rid of him. Having Routt, Washington, Hall and Asomugha on the team does not seem likely. Of course, if they end up trading Michael Huff--the safety had recently been rumored to be available--then one of those guys could be moved to safety. I doubt that move will take place, however, since Huff 5-year rookie deal called for $15 million guaranteed; thus, he would count $9 million immediately against their cap. Of course, this is Al Davis so I guess I should not rule anything that is antithetical to common sense out.

By the way, as good as Asomugha is--and I personally believe he is the best man corner in the league right now--I would not offer the 10th pick. To me, it's far better to draft a guy in the first round who turns into a bust than to trade for a guy who's going to cost you a lot of money and he ends up becoming a bust. It can happen to anyone. I do not mind trading a second rounder but I am starting to believe that first round picks should not be traded UNLESS the player is WITHOUT QUESTION going to be a hall-of-fame type player for you. There are very few players in the league right now who should go for a first since that first round pick represents an initial building block to your team. If you are picking the lower half of the first round, I am more open to it. But I do not think you should just trade a top 10 pick for anyone short of God.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom