PFT: Saints Draft Needs (1 Viewer)

obwhiteo

Proudly wearing my dress!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
didnt see this posted...

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS 2008 DRAFT NEEDS
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2008, 8:40 p.m.
Here’s a look at the perceived draft needs of the New Orleans Saints, with heavy input from Matt Miller and David Gardner of NewEraScouting.com.

Cornerback: The team’s best corner, veteran Mike McKenzie, tore an ACL near the end of last year, and he’s going to be 32 heading into this season. The Saints are hoping that last year’s third-round pick, Usama Young, will develop into a starter. At the very least, they’re hoping that he’ll compete for the starting job with free-agent acquisition Randall Gay. That would move last year’s worst free-agent signing, Jason David to the dime, if he can hold off newcomer Aaron Glenn. They reportedly are interested in Mike Jenkins and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, one of whom likely will be the second corner taken. Later in the draft, they might like Terrell Thomas and Patrick Lee.

Rest of article (mod edit - sbb)

ProFootballTalk.com - NEW ORLEANS SAINTS 2008 DRAFT NEEDS

Last edited by a moderator:
It dawns on me, looking at this list, with number of holes he need to plug and with only 6 picks (maybe - for the life of me I still don't know what happened with that Vilma deal), we can't trade up except maybe offering a first rounder next year, plus maybe a mid-second day pick this year to trade up in the first round.

The only thing I sort of don't see happening from this list is QB. I also strongly think safety should have been included in the list of our needs. Safety is a bigger need of ours than QB is.

I think Palko will prove to be worthy of being a backup this season.

I'm all for drafting a Qb this year

:no:

i still think we should wait til next year, but i wouldn't be mad if he found a late round prospect...

:9: I agree. We have too many holes to fill to worry about QB unless it's a UDFA pickup. I would rather us take a flyer on a position of need. Brunell is a serviceable backup...

It dawns on me, looking at this list, with number of holes he need to plug and with only 6 picks (maybe - for the life of me I still don't know what happened with that Vilma deal), we can't trade up except maybe offering a first rounder next year, plus maybe a mid-second day pick this year to trade up in the first round.

That's what I've been sayin... as much as I would LOVE to get Ellis/Dorsey... trading up will leave us with holes that we'd have to fill with either UDFAs or June 1st cuts... and if all elase fails we can go into the season with the same guys that have been underperforming.

I was a bit surprised to see Faine touted as a top five center. I think that most of us would have considered him above average, but that's it. Interesting.

i still think we should wait til next year, but i wouldn't be mad if he found a late round prospect...

On second thought after rethinking the needs and the 6 selections we have this year, next year would be best. I won't be happy next year if we do not do it. Ive seen the best reason posted by someone on here for drafting a Qb one day for grooming them into a starter in case anything would happen to Brees or for using one for trade bait like Matt Schuab

Let's be honest: after the 1st and 2nd round, and maybe the 3rd, it almost doesn't matter what position you pick, because at that point, you generally aren't getting a player that is going to step right up and fill an immediate need.

BPA + need in the first 2 rounds. After that, its BPA, period.

Let's be honest: after the 1st and 2nd round, and maybe the 3rd, it almost doesn't matter what position you pick, because at that point, you generally aren't getting a player that is going to step right up and fill an immediate need.

BPA + need in the first 2 rounds. After that, its BPA, period.

Ur right for the most part, but sometimes you can get a player that your scouts have found that others haven't....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom