PFT: Saints Draft Needs (1 Viewer)

Let's be honest: after the 1st and 2nd round, and maybe the 3rd, it almost doesn't matter what position you pick, because at that point, you generally aren't getting a player that is going to step right up and fill an immediate need.

BPA + need in the first 2 rounds. After that, its BPA, period.

Marques Colston disagrees

I don't have any problems with their list of priorities... Palko is servicable, but Erik Ainge, Paul Smith or even Colt Brennan near the end of the draft would all be good guys to bring in for Payton to work with.

Safety is a position to be addressed as well... kick returner too.

Keep your eye on Matt Forte... it would not be a stretch to see the Saints take him if they have real reservations about McAllister.

I think Colt Brennan would actually be a good pickup in the 5th or 6th. He may not have super velocity behind his throws but that's not generally needed in a west coast offense. The last thing you want is the backup coming into the game and gunning 40 yard crossing routes or 60 yard bombs. If you're in that situation you're screwed anyway. I think with his precision timing attack used at Hawaii, he could learn to run out quick release/thinking system.

I think we can get a nice QB project as an UDFA.

The other day I was going through the top 15 QBs in the draft to see how many were starting QB-worthy material and if a low # of them could help us to get one of GD or SE. I came up with 4: Ryan, Brohm, Henne & Flacco. Another 4-5 draftable for back-ups.

I also came up with 3 prospects that might be available as UDFAs:

Colt Brennan: hip surgery and not the greatest post-season for him, not the biggest or best, but I think he might be a competitor in the Brees mold.

Matt Flynn: Another QB who isn't the biggest or the best, but has the Brees traits.

My sleeper QB is Sam Keller: Remember his game against LSU right after Katrina? I thought he was gonna be a high pick when he came out of ASU (?), but he got screwed by the coaches and transferred to Nebraska. They could score last year, but no defense.

Just a hunch, but these 3 remind me of Drew, and I could see SP signing any of them to be his pet project.

Besides, I honestly think having 2 lefties behind Drew could cause all kinds of probs (like ball spin & blocking assignments) if we ever had to bring either of the back-up QBs in for any length of time. Why not mold a Drew clone or 2 as his back-ups?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom