PFT - Sean Payton is willing to coach again (2 Viewers)

So what teams do we think Payton was talking about as too dysfunctional to work for? I'd say Atlanta but I don't think he'd ever work for another NFC South team, anyway. Raiders seem obvious. Washington. I'd say the description fits the Cowboys but he has the firsthand view of that organization. The Jets have seemed mostly hopeless for a long time.
My guess on Payton’s “too dysfunctional to work for” list:

Chicago
Washington
Atlanta
Carolina
Jets
Cincy
Jacksonville
Houston

Edited to add: Cleveland

I didn’t include Detroit because I don’t think he’d consider them because Campbell and Glenn are there now, but the Ford family is terrible, in respect to their ability to build a winning organization.

Which is why l said if they fail this year and end up with a high round pick
Not saying we want Dak, but cannot see them or anyone giving up a high first rounder, or Sean going to a team that would give up too many draft assets
That high round #1 pick will be in our pocket as compensation for getting Sean. Dallas has no picks!!! You still don't see it?

That's why his lie about being burnt out never really played with me.

No sir, l am saying they would not be willing to give up a high first round pick
Perhaps you are right, anything is possible. Who says Sean has to draft his QB in his 1st yr? It sounds like a smart plan. But, you are looking at it on paper. You are reading the room..........................I am reading Sean! Sean wants to be in Dallas, and Jerry is going to tell Sean what ever lies he has to, for it to happen. Because Jerry has no other cards to play w/ head coach's. It is Sean or bust. Sean's real value is a High of two- #1s and a Floor of a - #1 and a #2.

My guess on Payton’s “too dysfunctional to work for” list:

Chicago
Washington
Atlanta
Carolina
Jets
Cincy
Jacksonville
Houston

Edited to add: Cleveland

I didn’t include Detroit because I don’t think he’d consider them because Campbell and Glenn are there now, but the Ford family is terrible, in respect to their ability to build a winning organization.

Chicago is interesting because he has ties to the area and the team, but that might not actually mean anything. I don't think the playing conditions are the best fit for his philosophy, anyway, and you're right that he might see it as one of the dysfunctional franchises.

There's no chance I could see him coaching Atlanta even under the best of circumstances - at least I want to believe that - but I'm curious what his relationship with Fontenot is like.

I think you covered it pretty well.

I chuckled when I read the word "willing" in the thread title. Sean is wanting to coach again, but he doesn't want to look eager for negotiation purposes. He wants someone to beg for his services and offer him everything... including the keys to the executive washroom. It's just a matter of time until he gets just such a deal.

We all know it’s a business. For coaches too. Imagine SP playing out his contract with the saints and going 4-12, 3-13, 4-12? He could get fired. So, what now for SP? He’s worth nothing because he’s been exposed that you need at least a good/great Qb at the helm. So, rather than face this possibility with a failed Tasom exp and JW, he did what a smart businessman would do, he bailed.

I speculate that when DA led the Saints to beat GB (without SP) that, that was the evidence SP needed that the Saints would still be in good hands after he’s gone.

I'm thinking he takes over for Andy Reid in Kansas City. I think Reid will be ready to hang it up after this season, KC is one of the "chosen" legacy franchises and won't get cheated like the Saints AND, with a full off season of eating, Sean Payton can fit all of Andy Reid's old Chiefs gear without alterations.

We all know it’s a business. For coaches too. Imagine SP playing out his contract with the saints and going 4-12, 3-13, 4-12? He could get fired. So, what now for SP? He’s worth nothing because he’s been exposed that you need at least a good/great Qb at the helm. So, rather than face this possibility with a failed Tasom exp and JW, he did what a smart businessman would do, he bailed.

I speculate that when DA led the Saints to beat GB (without SP) that, that was the evidence SP needed that the Saints would still be in good hands after he’s gone.
It is possible for things to come to a natural end with Brees gone.
As you mentioned, it would spoil Payton’s legacy if he went a few four win seasons post Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom