PFT: Shockey telling friends he'd welcome trade to Saints (1 Viewer)

St. Geezy

⚜️
Reaction score
SHOCKEY WOULD WELCOME A TRADE TO THE SAINTS

Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2008, 7:16 a.m.
Though the party line from the defending Super Bowl champs has been that tight end Jeremy Shockey isn’t available, the rumors of a trade to the New Orleans Saints (with even guys like Jim Ross of WWE advancing the ball) have been rampant.
The New York media generally (with a couple of exceptions) has addressed this potential development only in connection with propagating the “we won’t trade him” vow. But now there’s a report from Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News that makes the possible move seem a lot more likely that many previously realized or believed.
Vacchiano writes that Shockey “has told friends he would welcome a trade” to the Saints, and that Shockey “has been sounding off for more than a month” regarding frustrations with the Giants. The frustrations, Vacchiano says, have been fueled by the rumors of a possible trade to the Saints.

More here: http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Even more:

Jeremy Shockey has not formally demanded a trade from the Giants, but he has made it very clear he wouldn't be upset if it happened, either.

The brash tight end, who missed the Giants' championship run with a broken leg, has been sounding off for more than a month about his frustrations with the Giants, according to NFL sources. And he has told friends he would welcome a trade to the New Orleans Saints, who made an offer for him last month.

But while Giants GM Jerry Reese admitted yesterday that he has had "conversations" with other teams about trading Shockey, he also said he is not shopping his tight end. "Anything can happen in personnel," he said. "But right now, Jeremy Shockey is our starting tight end and we're looking forward for him to be back on the field for us this fall."

More here:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...4-17_jeremy_shockey_ok_with_trade_talk-2.html

Interesting factoid from the article:

When Shockey got word of the Saints' interest, that only fueled his frustrations, the sources said. He has long been unhappy with his role in Tom Coughlin's offense where he is used as a blocker much more than he would like. He knows his most productive NFL season was as a rookie in 2002 (74 catches, 894 yards) when he was used mostly as a receiver. The offensive coordinator for most of that season was Sean Payton, now the Saints' coach.

Last edited:
Wow! I just hope the Saints don't overpay. The gist of the Daily News article is that Shockey's best season came when Payton was the Giants' OC. Some players may want to come to New Orleans because of Sean Payton.

Wow! I just hope the Saints don't overpay. The gist of the Daily News article is that Shockey's best season came when Payton was the Giants' OC. Some players may want to come to New Orleans because of Sean Payton.

I have a feeling that Atlanta is the second team that's inquiring about him due to their plethora of #2 picks. Unfortunately, we may have to overspend a little on this one. I'm thinking a 2 and a 3 which we could hopefully recoup with a trade down in round 1.

I have a feeling that Atlanta is the second team that's inquiring about him due to their plethora of #2 picks. Unfortunately, we may have to overspend a little on this one. I'm thinking a 2 and a 3 which we could hopefully recoup with a trade down in round 1.

With Crumpler gone, Atlanta might overpay as well, which would be good for us. I suspect their need is more acute than ours at TE.

Looks like ATL might have more to offer than us.

This is getting ridiculous. Can we just fast forward to the draft now?

A 2 and a 3 would be absolutely ridiculous on the part of the Saints. I would have to question their sanity if they did that.

I don't think that it's possible to overpay for a guy who will most likely be a perennial representative to the Pro Bowl at his position, a valuable tool in the NFL's best offense and the franchise's best TE in it's history.

A 2 and a 3 would be absolutely ridiculous on the part of the Saints. I would have to question their sanity if they did that.

Giving up a 2nd and a 3rd would be insane. I do not see Loomis giving that up for Jeremy Shockey.

Even though Atlanta could offer more to try and get a player like Shockey, I do not think Atlanta would want the headache after the Vick fiasco, Which is what would happen when they do not have much of a offense to begin with and basically rebuilding. It would not take long before Shockey would make national sport news with a team like Atlanta.:D

If the Giants decide to deal Shockey, I think they going to have to settle for a 2nd round pick either in this years draft or next years. I see no team giving up more than that and the rumor has it that the Saints have already turned then down, Because the Giants wanted Roman Harper and a 2nd.

Michael Smith just said ,on some speical nfl show, that he believe Shockey will be a Saint. He expects a 2nd rounder OR Roman Harper and a late 2nd day pick.

Giving up a 2nd and a 3rd would be insane. I do not see Loomis giving that up for Jeremy Shockey.

Even though Atlanta could offer more to try and get a player like Shockey, I do not think Atlanta would want the headache after the Vick fiasco, Which is what would happen when they do not have much of a offense to begin with and basically rebuilding. It would not take long before Shockey would make national sport news with a team like Atlanta.:D

If the Giants decide to deal Shockey, I think they going to have to settle for a 2nd round pick either in this years draft or next years. I see no team giving up more than that and the rumor has it that the Saints have already turned then down, Because the Giants wanted Roman Harper and a 2nd.

Micheal Smith on ESPN just reported that the deal we offered for Shockey is either 1. a second round pick or 2. Harper and a second DAY pick.

Well, at least that clears it up.....he also said Shockey will be a Saint before the draft in his opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom