PFW: Power Rankings for 08' and he makes a interesting Saints guarantee... (1 Viewer)

Samuel would be a nice addition, especially if McKenzie can return and play to form. Now if only they didn't have to play so much run support. Three new linebackers can help there. The linebackers we have now are better than the Hazlost days, but that ain't saying much since in the Hazlost days they were almost vacant air on the field.

Kris

My concern would be if the Saints did break the bank for Samuel that the players motivation would be strictly monetary and his level of play would fall off after the check is in the bank. I'm just not a big believer in big money free agents, especially in the Saints case because they have to overpay to make it attractive to that class of athlete.

I'm not sure how much I like the very popular idea of bringing in Samuel and/or Asomugha, but I do agree with what the PFW is writing. Inconsistency abounds on this team - it has since Haslett's first year, and it continues even with a cast that is totally different. Don't know why...

Samuel is a proven player, but the money he demands would cripple the team. I am for spending money to improve the team, but this defense needs more than one player.

Agreed, to much money would go to Samuel and we woudnt be able to extend our own guys (Colston, Smith and Evans) I think those three are more important than that one player....for the price of Asante Samuel we could sign to future pro bowlers (Colston and Evans) i'm just not a fan of putting 80+mill into one player in the secondary.

I think the reason why the patirots might have to let him walk is because of the money both he and Moss will demand. Now, they could Franchise Moss if they wanted to, but I would be surprised if Samuel returns to the Patriots. He would be a huge addition to the Saints if signed.

Throw in big dollars for a 7 pick as well.

It might be time for the Saints to pony up and get a top flight CB in free agency.

Agreed, to much money would go to Samuel and we woudnt be able to extend our own guys (Colston, Smith and Evans) I think those three are more important than that one player....for the price of Asante Samuel we could sign to future pro bowlers (Colston and Evans) i'm just not a fan of putting 80+mill into one player in the secondary.

The Cap keeps going up every year so I don't think we need to worry about it.

Loomis loves to front load deals [Jason David] so he will front load Samuel's deal and get the big parts out of the way and then resign our guys.

I will be disappointed if the Saints "break the bank" on a CB like Samuel or Asomougha(sp?). There are too many holes in this defense to throw "Nate Clements" type of money at one CB.

IMHO, both DT and LB are bigger needs than CB. I'd even maybe even put FS ahead of CB on the "need" list.

McKenzie is very solid... and he'll be back. Usama Young is an up-and-comer, and I really think Jason David will end up being solid for us. Craft is still servicable as well.

Yeah, it's PFT; you can set your clock to them being wrong. Seriously, Asomugha? How do the Raiders not tag him? Now, if the Patriots are smart enough to let him walk, why should we break the bank for Samuel?

Why shouldn't we? I mean after all, CB is a major issue right now? I'm not actually in favor of having Samuel compared to other available CBs, but we need a top notch CB.

At this point, within good business sense, I think the Saints should spend whatever necessary to answer this pressing need.

Yeah, it's PFT; you can set your clock to them being wrong. Seriously, Asomugha? How do the Raiders not tag him? Now, if the Patriots are smart enough to let him walk, why should we break the bank for Samuel?

people say that all the time but pft is usually right on the money as far as ive seen.

this may be a different deal but they break alot and i mean alot of stories early.

I will be disappointed if the Saints "break the bank" on a CB like Samuel or Asomougha(sp?). There are too many holes in this defense to throw "Nate Clements" type of money at one CB.

IMHO, both DT and LB are bigger needs than CB. I'd even maybe even put FS ahead of CB on the "need" list.

McKenzie is very solid... and he'll be back. Usama Young is an up-and-comer, and I really think Jason David will end up being solid for us. Craft is still servicable as well.

ive got six words and a symbol for you

thirty+ million dollars under the cap

that attitude at the bottom is exactly why we are a mediocre franchise. we settle for mediocre stop-gap talent instead of getting gamebreakers when available. keep doing that and we will stay where we've been the last twenty years.

Wow, you really believe this? That sounds like Haslett wrote it. I can see not wanting to break the bank (though most on the board seem to want top-tier talent for mid-tier pricing) but, come on, we are NOT fine with the players we have at CB.

If we spend a ton of money on Samuel and not address the LB and DT situation... we'll be near last in the league in defense again.

I really don't want them to pursue a marquee CB.. I'd rather sign a solid vet at a lower $$, and take a couple solid man CBs in the draft... but if they do... i hope we have a new starting 3-tech, MLB, OLB, and FS... and hope that Gibbs gets aggressive with his playcalling.

The easiset way to improve your pass defense is to get to the QB. The pass can't be completed when the passer is on his back or running for his life. We need a pass rush.

I'd rather address that issue than break the bank for a CB. I don't care who you have at CB, if the QB has 4-5 seconds to sit comforably in the pocket -- as was often the case against us -- he is is still going to carve you up....

If we spend 80 million on Samuel but do not rush the passer any better than we did last season, we are still going to stink and be out that chunk of cash to boot.

Last edited:
The easiset way to improve your pass defense is to get to the QB. The pass can't be completed when the passer is on his back or running for his life. We need a pass rush.

I'd rather address that issue than break the bank for a CB. I don't care who you have at CB, if the QB has 4-5 seconds to sit comforably in the pocket -- as was often the case against us -- he is is still going to carve you up....

If we spend 80 million on Samuel but do not rush the passer any better than we did last season, we are still going to stink and be out that chuck of cash to boot.

don't you think it works hand in hand. If you have a McKenzie and Samuels on the corners it will buy the pass rush another second or two to get to the QB and all you need is another second or two to collapse a pocket.

don't you think it works hand in hand. If you have a McKenzie and Samuels on the corners it will buy the pass rush another second or two to get to the QB and all you need is another second or two to collapse a pocket.

I go back and forth on this one. It's kind of like the chicken or the egg.

On the one hand, if you solidify the front 7, it should get to the QB quicker. That would relieve the DBs from covering for too long.

On the other hand, solidifying the DBs would give the front 7 more time because the QB has to hold the ball longer.

Either way works when the right people are in place. Can we get the bst of both worlds? To an extent, I think so. An impactual DT, LB and CB could change everything for this D and would set the foundation to grow on.

In either case, a CB is needed no matter what. At this point, I don't care where it comes from (via draft or FA) just as long as the scouting proves correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom