PFW: Saints gearing for BPA? (1 Viewer)

It's a fairly simple argument. There are 4 top 10 defensive players(Long, Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey) in this draft. Unless one of those players slides to 10... we pick offense or trade down. The next best DT(our primary need position)'s are not even first rounders. I don't think the Saints need to waste a top 10 pick on an outside linebacker after picking up Vilma and Morgan. CB is an option but I don't think the value will be their in terms of who is available(after NE or the Ravens take the #1 CB). If we stay@10, then we have to choose between a tackle or RB. A top 5 O-line will make a pedestrian RB look like Emitt Smith. This also has the advantage of protecting our #1 investment, Drew Brees. To me, protecting Drew and giving Reggie/Thomas big a$$ running lanes is more important than a project CB that may start by next year.

1st Clandy
2nd Trevor Laws
3rd Matt Forte
4th Project DT(Frank Okam maybe if he slides) (Do we even have this pick?)
5th Project CB/Project DT if 4th is unavailable do to Vilma
6th WR
7th Project QB(Brennan if he continues to slide)

I think you draft the best player avaiable and use free agency to fill holes in your roster. If you don't leave yourself some flexibility in the draft, then you risk passing on a potential great player to find a guy to fill a gap. I hate when teams do that. This is the Sam Bowie argument. If the Blazers had just taken the best player available, they would've had MJ. The same goes for any sport. You take the best guy out there.

Personally, I think we are set to pick Mendenhall but that is just a guess.

I think you draft the best player avaiable and use free agency to fill holes in your roster. If you don't leave yourself some flexibility in the draft, then you risk passing on a potential great player to find a guy to fill a gap. I hate when teams do that. This is the Sam Bowie argument. If the Blazers had just taken the best player available, they would've had MJ. The same goes for any sport. You take the best guy out there.

Personally, I think we are set to pick Mendenhall but that is just a guess.

Mendenahall or Clady really wouldn't surprise me in the least..

im not gonna be talked out of it again this year. we need a cornerback. cornerback. cornerback. i dont care what anyone says. we havent a great corner in a million years. mike mckenzie had a good season, but hes had his share of bad ones, plus hes injured and aging. we need to lock up a cornerback for now and the future. however, if deuce is out, i wouldnt mind seeing us draft a runningback.

McKenzie hasn't had a bad season since he's been here. None were as good as last year, but he hasn't had a bad one. We do need a CB, but there probably will be a good one left in the 2nd, the best way to go, especially with a top 10 pick is to take the BPA, if you draft for need, well that's when you end up with Jonathan Sullivan.

Also, there is no arguing about it, if he had stayed in his senior season and entered this year's draft he would be the first WR selected, possibly a top ten pick.
I'm very happy to have a player who might have been a top ten pick this year already on the roster.
There is a lot of arguing about that. If he had stayed, he would have had an injury filled senior season and plummetted in the draft. His injury problems this past year were not caused by play with the Saints. It was mainly as a result of a pre-existing condition. He was lucky he came out when he did.

I get the same feeling too. Mendenhall or Clady is what I'm thinking.

yeah not what i would like to see them do,,but i really think thats what there gonna do,,,Mendenhall is a fine player all around back,,,speed size runs hard,,say he blocks well to,,they go mendenhall if dorsey abd ellis gone,,no dought in my mind,,they will not take a cb in the 1st round

if we take a RB with the first, im gonna punch somebody in the face. i dont care if a bo jackson/oj simpson/barry sanders/jim brown hybrid falls from the heavens with gold tipped cleats and raw meat hanging from his mouth, if we draft him, grab my AMEX and bail me out because im punching someone...

DEAR GOD PLEASE DRAFT DEFENSE!!!
if dorsey/ellis isnt there and you dont wanna take rivers or a CB, trade down please. pick up a few picks and then pick. if you cant trade down, take rivers and target laws or another DT or CB in the second. we have more than enough offense. we need a damn defense and we need a DT to protect vilma...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom