PFW Whispers (1 Viewer)

bino22_

Veteran
Reaction score
There were a couple of postings about the Saints in Pro Football Weekly's "Whispers" column. Thought you guys may want to know:

Our Packers sources tell us the Saints tried very hard to hold on to Russ Ball, who was hired earlier this week as Green Bay’s new vice president of football administration/player finance after having spent the last six seasons in New Orleans. But Ball has strong Midwestern roots and ultimately opted to go to work for the Packers. We hear Ball’s strong ties within the Packers’ organization carried a lot of weight. Not only did he previously work with both head coach Mike McCarthy and personnel man John Schneider on two different teams each, Ball has also worked previously with 10 of Green Bay’s assistant coaches, as well as research director Mike Eayrs.

Though it would appear the Saints are settled at offensive tackle with Pro Bowler Jammal Brown and Jon Stinchcomb in place, our source in New Orleans told us not to be surprised if they select a tackle early in April’s draft. Word is, Stinchcomb is thought to be very replaceable, and his contract expires after the 2008 season.

Linkage:http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers021608.htm

I thought of selecting an offensive tackle as a possibility too for the very same reason they mentioned. In fact in one of my original mocks I had us picking Ryan Clady. However, I think Strief is capable of starting at right tackle if need be and to me there is no question that the Saints will pick a corner. Given the team's struggles there as well as McKenzie's injury, I think corner (Jenkins or McKevlin) is a must.

If we are sitting at 10, the top CB is gone and we are stuck choosing out of Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, etc. I would take Ryan Clady.

I have had a thought on both of these topics.

Ball going to GB could either send C. Williams to the saints or he'll find a way to get a deal done with him in GB. The guy obviously holds loyalty to his past and if GB can't make it work he may give the saints and Williams some help to make a deal work.

As for an OT, I have stated before that would be a good pick. You can never have too many solid young OT's. This would also open up the possibility of a draft day trade of Stinch for an additional pick or later for a player of need.

you can never have enough good linemen. And there were many occasions this past season that both Stinch and Brown were blown off the line of scrimmage.

With Brown, Stinchcomb, Strief and Bushrod at tackle, the Saints are good at tackle. With David at CB, it couldn't get much worse. Easy choice.

PBA. I don't want to reach for a player because it's a need.

Free agency and the draft are designed to fill needs. Taking the best CB in the draft, on a team with David as the only healthy starter, is not a reach. The Saints lost games last year due to a horrible defense. Even if the OT started, how much would it improve the team? Is a sack or two less and a few more yards rushing going to offset the defense getting gashed in the running game and toasted by the passing game? I personally don't think so.

If we are sitting at 10, the top CB is gone and we are stuck choosing out of Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, etc. I would take Ryan Clady.

Thank god your not our GM

we have desperate needs at LB, CB, and DT

and with our 10th pick we could pick up an immediate impact player

and u pick a OT

not saying that we don't need depth at that position

Clady is supposed to be a great pass blocker. Brees should have a lot of time in the pocket if we get some solid play from the interior line. And free agency is for needs but you have to draft the best overall player, unless the need player and best player are closely rated.

We're not going to take an offensive lineman at #10 though unless something tremendous happens. Taking a RT that high is akeen to drafting a center or an offensive guard that high.

Clady is supposed to be a great pass blocker. Brees should have a lot of time in the pocket if we get some solid play from the interior line. And free agency is for needs but you have to draft the best overall player, unless the need player and best player are closely rated.
Pass blocking wasn't the problem; it was the run-blocking that, frankly, sucked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom