Phil Spector is dead (1 Viewer)

I agree, it is undeniable.

Too bad he also turned out to be a complete piece of garbage.
There were glaring, undeniable signs for years that Spector had some unhinged, perhaps undiagnosed mental or behavioral issues. Some of his behaviors I've read about strike me as a bit manic or bipolar disorders, especially the cyclical periods of manic then serious moody depressive traits. He once pointed a gun inexplicably as sort of a joke in front of John Lennon and Yoko Ono while the two were rehearsing before recoding some of their solo material in IIRC, the Record Plant studios. He had a bad tendency to fire live guns into ceiling while musicians were in the actual recording areas to make them hurry up their tunings so they could record faster.

His dislike of Ike Turner(entirely justified, IMHO, due to his notoriously terrible treatment of wife Tina, their children and his cocaine abuse) was so acute that he only agreed to record "River Deep, Mountain High" on the condition that Ike Turner had to stay out of the studio to avoid his oppressive, controlling behavior in the studio and onstage.

Most of the musicians he worked with, assistants like Sonny Bono, songwriters, famous rock bands even the Beatles had some memorable, sometimes funny, but more often uncomfortable memories of working with or just being in his presence, around him. John Lennon, despite his public no holds barred early 70's left-wing bravado rhetoric and Marxist intellectual pose, was genuinely afraid and terrified of being in the same room as Spector, reportedly.

Best news I've heard all day. He should not have lived 18 more years when poor Lana died at 40.

I loved the part in the Ramones documentary End of the Century where Johnny rants about Spector being a short angry man with a bad toupee and a gun.

I was listening to Stern today, who were talking about his life, and I didn't realize how big he was in the music industry during his younger years.

I was listening to Stern today, who were talking about his life, and I didn't realize how big he was in the music industry during his younger years.
Yeah, he became reclusive in the '80s and '90s and so was largely forgotten. But no music producer was bigger than him in the '60s.

He was great in that episode of I Dream of Jeannie where he played himself. The suit he wore was $$$$.

He was great in that episode of I Dream of Jeannie where he played himself. The suit he wore was $$$$.
I was an avid Jeannie watcher in syndication and don't remember this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom