Philadelphia Teenagers loot Store. (1 Viewer)

It happened on the July 4th.. Independent day they did it. And all the talk we had from people Like First Time Poster as to why he did not view the 4th with the Same enthusiasm as others did. And it did Happen right after the Betsy Ross flag deal...So it just seemed to reason. I was gonna make a comment that this was more of a Halloween stunt.

Doesn't it seem more likely that they did it on July 4th because it's a holiday in the summer and they could organize a large group easier?

I struggled with how to start the thread, I knew it was gonna cause a stir.. So I deleted the 4th of July Connections off, posted the video as is to speak for itself and kind of let the chips fall and the discussion go from there.

What gets me is why the thread wasn't started by someone else. I waited a few days to see if someone would. Cause I knew If I did, the reaction that I would get. And I wasn't wrong.

Because most of us don't think the video speaks for itself. We see a bunch of people behaving badly - which is not much of a discussion (anyone here support this kind of behavior? No? OK, what's to discuss?)

It definitely appears you're being drawn into the culture wars and are seeing battles where some of us don't see any. So, if you want to start a discussion with something you see and feel is important, don't be oblique about it. Just state it as clearly and concisely as possible, and be prepared for people to not see it the same way and will disagree with you publicly about it.

I'm not sure if you still want to have the larger discussion, especially since there seems to be no evidence that this event is connected to Kapernick/patriotism/whatever.... but if you do, do you think First Time Poster is wrong for not feeling enthusiastic about the 4th of July? Do you see how black Americans might be less thrilled with the 4th of July since it is not the anniversary of their own declaration of freedom? Do you see how the 4th of July can be viewed as only a partial victory of a specific idea (that all men are created equal)? And that a large percentage of Americans were excluded from that ideal for another 90 years (or really almost 200 years if you count Jim Crow)?

If you do see their point, then do you think they should not express that disappointment?

If you don't see their point, would care to discuss that?

It's on every single News outlet out there.. has been for days. But I guess that this kind of thing happens everyday.

So instead of condemning the act, we are going to condemn the messenger huh? nice...

Had any of these kids been wearing a MAGA hat... we'd be at 30 pages days ago.

I was actually going to go in the direction of this happened in Philly on July 4th and may have had some connection with Kapernick and Nike dropping the Betsy Ross Flag that may have had some influence on these kids to act like this on the 4th of July... That was my original intent... .But Chuck wanted to throw a little Love on me right out the gate.
Yeah, those poor MAGA disadvantaged white kids can't catch a break. While these uppity colored people just skate on by without anyone even bothering to properly criticize them.
Here's a bit of friendly advice. When you get constant push back for your posts, maybe it's not the multitude of people pushing back that are always wrong.

This page in no small way consists of current news events. This is a current event so no one has to have a point when "reporting" news. I saw this and another "flash mob" looting of a North Face store so this seems to be a trend. Stop knee jerking.

It's not knee jerking. It's identifying a pattern, one that has gone on for years. It's pretty transparent unless you're wearing incredibly dark glasses.

Doesn't it seem more likely that they did it on July 4th because it's a holiday in the summer and they could organize a large group easier?

I don't know. Do you? That's why I was speculating. I don't think that until one of the teens gets arrested or someone that was part of it asks why, will we know anything. BUt clearly in the summer thousands of kids were roaming/playing in the streets... BUt one thing is a fact. This did happen on July 4th. Coincidence?. You tell me.

Because most of us don't think the video speaks for itself. We see a bunch of people behaving badly - which is not much of a discussion (anyone here support this kind of behavior? No? OK, what's to discuss?)

At 54 years old, I have seen rioting, and mobs... But usually there is something that ignites it... With this incident there appears to be none. Just a random act of kids doing something totally out of the norm... I also notice that they didn't totally loot the place as much as they just played havoc. But that is the question that I would like to know... What was their motivation for doing this?

It definitely appears you're being drawn into the culture wars and are seeing battles where some of us don't see any. So, if you want to start a discussion with something you see and feel is important, don't be oblique about it. Just state it as clearly and concisely as possible, and be prepared for people to not see it the same way and will disagree with you publicly about it.

I have no doubt that anything I say here people will be disagreed with that's for sure. And it seems the ones that do speak up with an opposing view in this echo filled chamber are getting less and less... And it's getting to the point that I am about ready to stop posting here as well.

I'm not sure if you still want to have the larger discussion, especially since there seems to be no evidence that this event is connected to Kapernick/patriotism/whatever.... but if you do, do you think First Time Poster is wrong for not feeling enthusiastic about the 4th of July? Do you see how black Americans might be less thrilled with the 4th of July since it is not the anniversary of their own declaration of freedom? Do you see how the 4th of July can be viewed as only a partial victory of a specific idea (that all men are created equal)? And that a large percentage of Americans were excluded from that ideal for another 90 years (or really almost 200 years if you count Jim Crow)?

No.. I don't want to have that discussion on this thread. Because I do see what FTP was saying and I understand..

But here's what I been saying all along that seems to go over everyone's head. Is this going to be an isolated event that we never see again? or is this going to continue?? That on the 4th of July throughout the nation kids are going to become mischievous because now the 4th of July is being viewed by some as not the greatest holiday in the land?

I have yet to actually sit down and reply to FTP on his thoughts.. I need to get one together.

But again, we are going back to the 4th of July... So again there seems to be some kind of connection between tis event and the 4th. ANd if it did turn out the be that the 4th of July was the reason... And just for the record... The news about Nike and Kaepernick dropping the Betsy Ross Flag happened on July 2nd... 2 Days before the 4th.. Just 2 days yet it went into a viral discussion throughout the nation.

would care to discuss that?

On a left leaning highly liberal message board where all the people with conservative viewers have bailed or just flat out stopped participating? Really?

I can't post on here that I support President Trump without being labeled as a Racist and Bigot by 90% of the participating membership that remains.. So you think that we could actually have a conversation like that here openly and fairly??

You got to be out of your Cherry Picking Mind..

Did it happens because it was the fourth of july or did it just happen to happen on the 4th of july?

Is there anything about this mob that came out that it had some intent beyond just being tools?

@Joe OKC (and everyone else for future reference), stop posting politics on the EE.

You were fine, until the last bit.

I understand, but he asked me if I wanted to discuss it.. and I had to give my reason why, which I think is relevant to this SR.com as a whole.

Did it happens because it was the fourth of july or did it just happen to happen on the 4th of july?

Is there anything about this mob that came out that it had some intent beyond just being tools?

I think that is a very important question.

I don't know. Do you? That's why I was speculating. I don't think that until one of the teens gets arrested or someone that was part of it asks why, will we know anything. BUt clearly in the summer thousands of kids were roaming/playing in the streets... BUt one thing is a fact. This did happen on July 4th. Coincidence?. You tell me.
of course it's coincidence (well 97% sure)
k, i'll wade into this bc you are quite the conundrum for me
i agree with about 0% of your non-saints related opinions, but i still think you're a 'good at heart' dude

the problem with much of your discussion style, is you engage in idle speculation and then your brain tends to start believing it's fact (this became clear in the video game/gun discussion)

you take 2 disparate 'facts' - riot + 4th of july and then draw conclusion based in that
if the surveillance video had shown feet and 51% of the kids were wearing reeboks, you're probably on here talking about why reeboks make kids violent
if we found out the kids all went to 'thurgood marshal' school but it use to be called 'stars and bars' school, you'd jump to some conclusion based on that

then of course, there's the concern that the rare times you post about issues involving white kids, they happen to be gay
i'm not going to speculate about that

On a left leaning highly liberal message board where all the people with conservative viewers have bailed or just flat out stopped participating? Really?
and so here's the thing, as has been stated plenty of times, this board became 'more liberal' (it's certainly not 'highly liberal') because the tea partiers and the alts ran away
and seemingly mostly be - my speculation - they're beliefs are based on emotion and not on particular philosophy - which means they can explain what they believe but not why they believe - and they find themselves painted into a corner, bc they can't logically defend their positions - which one would need to be able to do on a 'discussion' board

now here's my Lucy van Pelt $.05 analysis (and am only offering it bc i prefer you stay on the board, and saying this is why i address you the way i do and maybe others are similar)
i think you have elevated the 'flag' and what you consider 'american history' into some sort of secular religion
consistently in the Kap/flag discussions, people are always telling you 'we're not saying don't respect the flag, we're saying don't tell others they must see the flag the way you do'
you struggle with that notion mightily - and i think it's bc you see the flag as sacred
so then when you find someone like Trump who says all the things about the flag and american history that you want to hear, you buy into it, even if there is zero evidence that Trump actually believes (or even understands) what he's saying
people who don't believe the religion see the obvious logical holes and point them out
but that is an ineffective approach to confronting someone's religion

The truth is that we have become a narcissistic, instant gratification seeking society with very little respect or empathy for others.
Most of us choose to point the finger at one group or the other....either rich people or poor minorities. The truth is that this is a systemic problem that crosses racial and economic lines

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom