Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers agree to part ways (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Doesn't look like he's calling it quits. I think he'll keep playing.

“I am very grateful to the Spanos family and the Chargers organization for the last 16 years,” Rivers said in a statement on the team’s website. “In anything you do, it's the people you do it with that make it special. There are so many relationships and memories with coaches, support staff and teammates that will last forever, and for that I am so thankful.

“I never took for granted the opportunity to lead this team out on to the field for 235 games. We had a lot of great moments, beginning in San Diego and then finishing in LA. I wish my teammates and coaches nothing but the best moving forward.

“I'm not sure what the future holds, but my family and I look forward to seeing what God has planned for us next.”

Of course, the question now becomes, who is his replacement? Teddy? Do the Chargers trade up for Burrow? Loads of speculation.
Meanwhile, the pleasantries, love, and admiration for Rivers continue to flow at the Chargers' website.

"After stepping back a bit from last season, we reconnected with Philip and his representatives to look at how 2019 played out, assess our future goals, evaluate the current state of the roster and see if there was a path forward that made sense for both parties," said General Manager Tom Telesco. "As we talked through various scenarios, it became apparent that it would be best for Philip and the Chargers to turn the page on what has truly been a remarkable run.

"We agreed that making this decision well before free agency would allow everyone to put themselves in the best position for success in 2020.

not a surprise, I read he bought a house and moved to FL a couple months ago. Seems they knew this for a while now

Not surprising. Will be interesting to see where Rivers ends up and who ends up with the Chargers. I could see them wanting Teddy or Burrow or maybe Justin Herbert. Watching the QB challenge videos from Saints training camp last year, Rivers is still pretty accurate but he never had a coaching situation like Brees or Brady to really thrive with. I could see him with the Bears, Dolphins or Colts for a couple years. Even Tampa might be a good fit for him as they have some good WRs, but I hope he doesn't go there.

They have Tyrod Taylor too, which I had forgotten about, if nothing else he's a placeholder. He's had success could be the place they start... Maybe. I could totally see Rivers in Tampa, Arians resurrected Carson Palmer when everyone said he was done and had really good numbers in Arizona.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom