Phone stopped charging in car (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A few months ago my iPhone stopped charging in my car

My first thought was there was something wrong with the charger, so I replaced it and the usb wire (twice) and it still wouldn’t charge

My second thought was that there was a problem with the phone but it charges everywhere else just fine

My third thought was there was a problem with the car. I’ve taken it to two service centers, one was at the actual dealership, and both said there is nothing wrong with the car it’s putting out the amount of power it’s supposed to

Since then I’ve just been dealing with it, making sure I have a full charge before I go anywhere but that’s annoying

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any ideas on solving this problem?

Thanks

Have you checked the fuses?

My first thought was there was something wrong with the charger, so I replaced it and the usb wire (twice) and it still wouldn’t charge

My second thought was that there was a problem with the phone but it charges everywhere else just fine

My third thought was there was a problem with the car. I’ve taken it to two service centers, one was at the actual dealership, and both said there is nothing wrong with the car it’s putting out the amount of power it’s supposed to

Since then I’ve just been dealing with it, making sure I have a full charge before I go anywhere but that’s annoying

Thanks

Does the USB port read or power anything else successfully?

You've tried cables that you know are good?

Thanks

The problem most of the time is lint in the charging port. Take a paper clip or a toothpick and dig out the lint in the charging port. You'll be surprised whats in there. Has been 100% cure rate for me. If its just in the car, then not sure what may be the problem.

Have you checked the fuses?

This sounds like a good start to me. The "dealership said it's making enough juice" part sounds like they saw 14.4 on a meter when your car was running although they may not have been measuring it via the cigarette lighter in question. Does anything else charge/power in that cigarette lighter port?

The problem most of the time is lint in the charging port. Take a paper clip or a toothpick and dig out the lint in the charging port. You'll be surprised whats in there. Has been 100% cure rate for me. If its just in the car, then not sure what may be the problem.

You can't just blow in it like a Nintendo cartridge?

I actually haven’t tried charging anything else in the car

So this is the cigarette light styled charger? It's possible that your iphone requires a certain amount of juice to charge and it's not getting it from there. I have that issue when I try to use certain old charging blocks on my ipad. There's also the possibility that, as mentioned, your phone port is dirty. Lint does funny things. Also, iphones are weird. I work with people who travel a lot. Every person who has trouble with keeping or getting a charge is on an iphone. I actually keep an extra apple charger and wire in my car even though I use Android phones.

If it is USB port just blow it out. If that doesn't work disconnect the battery before you stick anything metallic in any plug or port in your car. I would personally use toothpicks so I would not have to.

Sounds like they put a volt meter on it. So the problem is junk in it.

If it is a lighter style port just change it. Easy order it on line figure it out.

I hope it's something good like an old stale Frito down in the cigarette lighter or something. Alternately, if you had the dash off for any car stereo installs or anything, maybe the cigarette lighter didn't get reconnected when everything went back together.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom