Photography Hobby (1 Viewer)

So here's a question for you camera people. Is it possible to take decent pictures with a small point and shoot? My parents got me a cheap Nikon Coolpix for Christmas. It's tiny with a small 3x zoom but is 12 megapixels. So far my images aren't worth poop. My old 5mp Sony Cybershot seemed to capture better images. Granted, this camera was only $100, so I'm not expecting the world. But it would seem I'd be able to get decent shots of people indoors that were in focus.

Your really limited with the Point & Shoot cameras. Using a DSLR and hot shoe type flash with a bounce head you have way more control over the flash lighting. Even using a higher ISO setting indoors with the DSLR (less the flash) will give good results.

With the higher pixel count you need to be steady while taking to picture as the large resolution is going to show more imperfections. Even the built in IS on the inexpensive cameras isn't fail safe.

I'm so glad you started this thread, SeLuSaint!!

I was just getting started with my first "real" camera, and was trying to self teach myself....until my beloved camera was STOLEN right after the Baltimore/Saints game! :no: I had a Canon EOS 50D :bigcry:

After severe depression over my loss, I must move on! To the experienced photographers here, would you suggest going with the 50D again? Move on to the 60D? Anyone have experience with the 60D?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you can swing the difference in price I'd recommend the EOS 7D. Totally surpasses the 50D I had in its ability the customize the focus and is lighting fast locking on a subject. Its the one Canon cropped sensor that I'll be keeping for quiet some time.

No, it didn't happen at the game. The Ravens fans were so awesome...very positive experience there.

Afterwards, we went to the oldest saloon in North America, The Horse You Came In On. The last place Edgar Allen Poe was seen, the night of his mysterious death. ("The Raven", hence the team's name, their mascot is "Poe")

So....after speaking with a particular bartender for a couple of hours, she offered to take our picture, and did. Then she asked to view my game pics (awesome pics from Row 1 :covri:), so I agreed. I took the camera off my arm...which was the FIRST time I've ever done that in public..EVER!! She started viewing the pics, I turned to talk to my friend, turned back about a minute later, and she was GONE with my camera!! The other employees said her shift had ended.

I'm just sick that someone would take the time to get to know you, building up trust, then BLAM, steal from you. Karma is a beyotch, I tell ya. Most of all, my Thanksgiving family pics, my 6 yr. old daughter's Christmas program, and of course, the Saints game pics were all on that card...memories gone.

holy crap that's just wrong..

So here's a question for you camera people. Is it possible to take decent pictures with a small point and shoot? My parents got me a cheap Nikon Coolpix for Christmas. It's tiny with a small 3x zoom but is 12 megapixels. So far my images aren't worth poop. My old 5mp Sony Cybershot seemed to capture better images. Granted, this camera was only $100, so I'm not expecting the world. But it would seem I'd be able to get decent shots of people indoors that were in focus.

I got a Canon SX120 (or something like that) as my birthday gift from my mom. I took it to Aruba and was very pleased with my photos. I got some fabulous sunsets.

No, it didn't happen at the game. The Ravens fans were so awesome...very positive experience there.

Afterwards, we went to the oldest saloon in North America, The Horse You Came In On. The last place Edgar Allen Poe was seen, the night of his mysterious death. ("The Raven", hence the team's name, their mascot is "Poe")

So....after speaking with a particular bartender for a couple of hours, she offered to take our picture, and did. Then she asked to view my game pics (awesome pics from Row 1 :covri:), so I agreed. I took the camera off my arm...which was the FIRST time I've ever done that in public..EVER!! She started viewing the pics, I turned to talk to my friend, turned back about a minute later, and she was GONE with my camera!! The other employees said her shift had ended.

I'm just sick that someone would take the time to get to know you, building up trust, then BLAM, steal from you. Karma is a beyotch, I tell ya. Most of all, my Thanksgiving family pics, my 6 yr. old daughter's Christmas program, and of course, the Saints game pics were all on that card...memories gone.

Thats terrible!

Did you report it to the manager? Most bars have cameras in them so it should have been captured. And did you file a police report?

I'm so glad you started this thread, SeLuSaint!!

I was just getting started with my first "real" camera, and was trying to self teach myself....until my beloved camera was STOLEN right after the Baltimore/Saints game! :no: I had a Canon EOS 50D :bigcry:

After severe depression over my loss, I must move on! To the experienced photographers here, would you suggest going with the 50D again? Move on to the 60D? Anyone have experience with the 60D?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've used the x0D line from the 10D to the 50D, but my next body will be in the 7D line. The 60D ends Canon's usual model upgrade progression as they shift the x0D line more towards the Rebels while the 7D line takes x0Ds prosumer segment. Compared to the 50D the 60D has slower continuous shooting, more flimsy construction (plastic vs magnesium), no AF microadjustment, less capable interface, and SD instead of CF.

If none of those features mattered to you and you were torn between high end Rebels and the 50D then go for the 60D. It does have some nice upgrades in other areas. If you liked the 50D and can afford/want to stay in the prosumer segment then go for the 7D which has upgrades in all areas.

Some more pictures from a beginner with a Canon Rebel XS. Have any tips that will help me in the future?

Attachments

• 1103544214_img_0181.jpg
    1103544214_img_0181.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 1109297296_img_0583.jpg
    1109297296_img_0583.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1118453480_img_1328.jpg
    1118453480_img_1328.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1124443648_dpp_0054.jpg
    1124443648_dpp_0054.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
I use a Canon 5D, which can be had for under $1K used. It's a 5+ year old camera, but it has a full frame sensor and captures an unreal amount of detail. If you're into portraiture or landscape photography, it's a great value. For sports and wildlife, something like a 7D or 40D-60D would be a better choice.

It's possible to take some decent pictures with almost any camera, there are just varying degrees of limitations and difficulties imposed by different models. Since you've used other cameras I suspect you are bumping into limitations of your new model. As p0pe mentioned those tiny sensors with high pixel counts can be very noisy and have iffy image quality. If you have the Nikon L22 one disadvantage is electronic vibration reduction which isn't much help compared to optical stabilization. A fast lens, stabilization, and/or good flash is really a must for easy indoor snapshots.

Did you report it to the manager? Most bars have cameras in them so it should have been captured. And did you file a police report?

Yes, I reported it to all levels of employees, and even the owner, whom my friend knows. Police report was filed, and upon doing so, they said, "Welcome to Baltimore", I kid you not!

Unbelievable that this historical landmark, the oldest continually operating saloon in N.A., would not have surveillance cameras installed!! Crazy.

I've been calling Pawn Shops, but you know how that goes.

Some people truly are just bad weeds...

I've used the x0D line from the 10D to the 50D, but my next body will be in the 7D line. The 60D ends Canon's usual model upgrade progression as they shift the x0D line more towards the Rebels while the 7D line takes x0Ds prosumer segment. Compared to the 50D the 60D has slower continuous shooting, more flimsy construction (plastic vs magnesium), no AF microadjustment, less capable interface, and SD instead of CF.

If none of those features mattered to you and you were torn between high end Rebels and the 50D then go for the 60D. It does have some nice upgrades in other areas. If you liked the 50D and can afford/want to stay in the prosumer segment then go for the 7D which has upgrades in all areas.

Wow, thanks so much for your insight!! Yes, I've researched the 7D as well, and am contemplating putting forth the extra money...very tempting, indeed!

Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom