Photos and photography thread (4 Viewers)

Severum makes a lot of us feel inadequate but Cjjr would give anybody a run for his money.

I did not mean to slight the mighty Cjjr72984 or other "heavyweight" photographers, I just wanted to give props to Severum for his incredible work. :9:

There are quite a few heavy hitters on here, including boutte himself! I plan to frequent this thread often....for the visuals and the advice.

Severum makes a lot of us feel inadequate but Cjjr would give anybody a run for his money.

Wow just saw Severum's last post. Magnificent! (My big word for the day.) Do you do photography for a living Severum?

Thanks, it's just a hobby and excuse to explore the world.

We have a number of members who excel at varied subjects and I hope to get more participation from beginners on up.

These bring me back. I went to WSU and grew up in that area. I caught a nice smallmouth bass at almost the exact spot you were standing to take that shot of Lower Granite Dam.

That was my first time exploring eastern WA aside from the drive up. It's a great area for photography with an interesting landscape and unique beauty. All the other Boyer Park campers were fishing with some success. After seeing all the rattlesnake warning signs I was hoping to find one for some shots, but all I got was a gopher snake.

A group of people hiked down to the base of Palouse Falls and caught a number of bass from the pool. The Palouse Falls campground was nice since there weren't many campers on weeknights and the only sounds were coyotes and the rumble of the falls. The state was summed up on the last night when it was a local rancher in a beat up pickup, me in the Subaru, and some attorneys in an Aston Martin DB9.

I'll definitely head back sometime to explore a bit more and hopefully get different light/sky/field conditions.

I like the idea instead of monthly threads. Hopefully when it gets longer that people realize that newer pics are towards the end. Sometimes it seems that longer threads tend to die out for some reason. We need a designated bumper lol.

As long as people keep taking and posting photos we should be good.

thanks for the welcome. :grin:

brand agnostic hm, haha...

It's funny because i used to be completely opposite :hihi:

i basically built an entire nikon kit, then randomly decided i wanted a point and shoot.

it had to be tailored to manual shooting (no surfing menus for S/S, Aperture, ISO, etc)... which led to me dancing around on Fuji's x100 for a while (LOVE the soul and ergo of that camera) before deciding to grab the x-e1 for lens options (the x100 is 35mm fixed only and im more of a 50mm shooter). settled in and purchased the x-e1 with fuji's 35 1.4.

It quickly phased out the nikon as my go to camera for a lot of things. so the D700 went to craigslist.

basically did the same thing with rangefinders, but since I didnt want to drop 1-2k on a 40 year old film body and another 1-3k on a single lens for the pure reason of experimenting, leica was out of the question, and canon's P model fit perfect.

shortly after the FA and all it's glass followed the d700 to craigslist.

they may not be the flagship options, but i love both cameras.

theres something neat about running a full manual rangefinder from the 50's, so its been my main shooter for the past 2-3 months... one thing i need to get is a good meter, as this camera doesnt have one. been using mostly sunny/16 rule to expose hahaha.

well that got long quick, sorry for the text-wall :smilielol:

The Fuji and Sony MILC offerings are pretty appealing to me. It would be nice if Canon took that market seriously.

I've gone through a few thousand shots in some outings so film isn't as viable for me, but I've been watching auctions for bargains on a few vintage lenses. It's definitely fun putting old gear back to use.

Good, otherwise you would win every competition! :hihi: (FYI, Severum takes sick macro photos and ain't too shabby with landscapes either)

I think this is an excellent idea for a thread.....a "go to" place for pictures and advice. This thread will be invaluable to us amateurs!!!

One request I would make to the heavy hitter photo posters would be to include the shooting info with the picture. It helps amateur guys like myself get an idea of how the picture was captured.

I'm no heavy hitter (just heavy) but it could also work in the other direction...post an image that you took, but aren't quite happy with (blur, noise, saturation, composition) and then ask for advice as to how to try to improve it next time. Include the hardware you used and the settings (if known) and see what others suggest.

I'm no heavy hitter (just heavy) but it could also work in the other direction...post an image that you took, but aren't quite happy with (blur, noise, saturation, composition) and then ask for advice as to how to try to improve it next time. Include the hardware you used and the settings (if known) and see what others suggest.

I'd love that kind of feedback. I'm not a photographer by any means. But good pictures are a real blessing in life, and I don't use that term lightly. Photos are important.

Good idea. I was thinking the same thing.

Here's one of mine that I haven't worked on yet. Shot with a Canon T3i,
I love cloudy days and cemeteries. This can give you a pretty flay image so it takes a good bit of processing. Any suggestions? If some one wants to play with it I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. I'll post mine when I finish it.
IMG_4849_zps171c69f3.jpg

Converted from RAW
Tamron 18-270.
Tv( Shutter Speed )1/400,
Av( Aperture Value )8.0,
ISO Speed 200
Focal Length 50.0mm

My friend..

Attachments

• SRC-3.jpg
    SRC-3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 11
  • SRC-2.jpg
    SRC-2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 10
  • SRC-4.jpg
    SRC-4.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
  • SRC-1.jpg
    SRC-1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 13
Good idea. I was thinking the same thing.

Here's one of mine that I haven't worked on yet. Shot with a Canon T3i,
I love cloudy days and cemeteries. This can give you a pretty flat image so it takes a good bit of processing. Any suggestions? If some one wants to play with it I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. I'll post mine when I finish it.
IMG_4849_zps171c69f3.jpg

Converted from RAW
Tamron 18-270.
Tv( Shutter Speed )1/400,
Av( Aperture Value )8.0,
ISO Speed 200
Focal Length 50.0mm

I'm no architecture photographer and you've got your own style which I won't try to emulate exactly, but here's an edit in that direction.

boutte_IMG_4849.jpg

Slight crop on the bush side, sky and grass layers on top with levels adjustments, -contrast/saturation on grass, levels +contrast and mild USM on rest of cemetary, cloned out some debris.

Where the hell is the Washington state you speak of?

It exists in many forms. So far I've covered coastal islands, rainforest, snowy mountains, arid steppe, and prairie all within a few hours drive. I've still got a couple corners left to explore.

Great thread.

I took up photography as a hobby in 2004 when a friend of mine convinced me to buy a DSLR instead of a point-and-shoot as I was making the transition from film. I got a Nikon D70 and was absolutely bitten by the photography bug. Below is the first picture I took that ever really got me excited about photography. It's nothing special beyond being special to me.

0_0_41eab70e7e50adf7ad0847379e11b0d1_1

Had several good boils this year. Lots of color in a good pot.

Attachments

• Cars ans Crawdads 015.jpg
    Cars ans Crawdads 015.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 6
  • aaaa45b7-e737-44cc-9fe7-279f5e426d49_zpsf14991ac.jpg
    aaaa45b7-e737-44cc-9fe7-279f5e426d49_zpsf14991ac.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 5
The Fuji and Sony MILC offerings are pretty appealing to me. It would be nice if Canon took that market seriously.

I've gone through a few thousand shots in some outings so film isn't as viable for me, but I've been watching auctions for bargains on a few vintage lenses. It's definitely fun putting old gear back to use.

I actually picked up film for that very reason. I was shooting 500-1000 pictures /weekend on the 700. getting an old film camera made me slow down. not only does it cost money, but you only have 24/36 exposures and you have to wind the film. makes you slow down and wait for the right instant instead of firing off a burst of pictures. its actually really satisfying when you nail that one chance shot , and motivating when you miss an awesome shot because you anticipated wrong.

I agree about canon and nikon needing to take the market more seriously.

i played with the 1 series and the EOS-M, but they both have trashy ergonomics, both feel like a plastic toy, and the EOS-M doesnt have a viewfinder model or optional attachment which killed it for me.

problem with the sony NEX line is the camera bodies look like damn cell phones. admittedly that was very offputting for me. oh and the fact that it's a sony :V

the fuji admittedly has its faults.

the AF speed with the 35 1.4 is blazing in the day, but in darker atmosphere with the assist light off you gotta get used to giving it some contrast to work with.

that and fujinon's first cycle of lenses are aperture/focus driven by wire (the aperture ring and focus rings dont mechanically do anything, they just tell the camera to change the aperture/focus). which is a huge issue.

it wasnt enough to keep me from the fuji 35 1.4 (summilux optical quality at 1/10 the cost)

If i'm in a situation where i dont want to use AF assist light, i generally tack on one of my f1.8-f2.5 leica/voigtlander/canon lenses and manual focus them (fuji was smart enough to license/make an official leica mount adapter)

couple more shots from the FA

Erik by BobHohensee, on Flickr

St. Jean's Cathedral Film (6 of 9) by BobHohensee, on Flickr

St. Jean's Cathedral Film (2 of 9) by BobHohensee, on Flickr

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom