physics problem stuck again (1 Viewer)

SWJJ

moar bink ball
Reaction score
A 1040-kg van, stopped at a traffic light, is hit directly in the rear by a 797-kg car traveling with a velocity of +3.50 m/s. Assume that the transmission of the van is in neutral, the brakes are not being applied, and the collision is elastic. What is the final velocity of (a) the car and (b) the van?

Ok so I have conservation of momentum and conservation of KE

so:

MvVv1 + McVc1 = MvVv2 + McVc2

The Vv1 is 0 so:

McVc1 = MvVv2 + McVc2
-McVc2 -McVc2
----------------------------------------------

Mc ( Vc1 - Vc2) = MvVv2
/Mv /Mv

so:
Vv2 = Mc/Mv (Vc1 - Vc2)

and I can sub Vv2in the KE conservation formula:
Mv(Vv1) ^2 + Mc(Vc1)^2 = Mv(Vv2)^2 + Mc(Vc2)^2

Vv1 = 0

so when I sub Vv2 what does that give me?

I just want to say that I enjoy these threads. My knowledge of physics and the equations is nil but I think its cool that someone on here always knows the answer and can explain it.

One of the many reasons I love SR.com, Any question can be answered on SR.com

There is a house.

Some snow is on the roof.

The sun is shining brightly above the house.

A very large bird flies overhead.

<font size="5">Draw it!</font>

The final velocity of both the car and the van are zero. After the crash, they come to a stop until the cops show up. Guess you can tell the guys who took logic instead of physics. :ezbill:

I was able to discover a formula Vc2 = (Mc-Mv / Mc+Mv) (Vc1)
and Vv2 = (2Mc / Mc + Mv ) (Vc1)

It gives me the correct ancswers but I have NO IDEA how the formulas were derived...

next stumper:

A projectile (mass = 0.271 kg) is fired at and embeds itself in a target (mass = 2.50 kg). (The target is initially stationary). The target (with the projectile in it) flies off after being struck. What percentage of the projectile's incident kinetic energy does the target (with the projectile in it) carry off after being struck?

First, you have to assume a spherical van. Then plug in what you know into F=MA. Simple

You have to conserve momentum and energy in this problem, because an elastic collision, by definition, is one in which energy is conserved. Momentum is conserved in all ideal collisions.

So write your basic momentum conservation eqn which it looks like you've done, and write your kinetic energy conservation equation as well. You wind up with a 2 unknown, 2 equation, and easily solvable non-linear system. Solve it algebraically - should be simple enough, or if you have a graphing calculator, solve it graphically.

You have to conserve momentum and energy in this problem, because an elastic collision, by definition, is one in which energy is conserved. Momentum is conserved in all ideal collisions.

So write your basic momentum conservation eqn which it looks like you've done, and write your kinetic energy conservation equation as well. You wind up with a 2 unknown, 2 equation, and easily solvable non-linear system. Solve it algebraically - should be simple enough, or if you have a graphing calculator, solve it graphically.

Yup, this sounds about right. It's been a year since I've taken dynamics, but this is a pretty simple problem. Use conservation of momentum and remember your sign convention.

I already solved it

now I need:
A projectile (mass = 0.271 kg) is fired at and embeds itself in a target (mass = 2.50 kg). (The target is initially stationary). The target (with the projectile in it) flies off after being struck. What percentage of the projectile's incident kinetic energy does the target (with the projectile in it) carry off after being struck?

I need the formulas for the second problem. You have webassign or something or so sort of internet homework due?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom