Physics problem... Stumped (1 Viewer)

SWJJ

Stop Resisting!
Reaction score
A satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 2.90 × 10 ^6 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

not sure how to set this up...

ra

I'm happily on drugs
Reaction score
If it's in orbit, it shouldn't be accelerating... it should be at constant velocity.
So 0.

(Discounting the eventual drop to Earth, which I guess would mean that it is slowly.... very slowly... accelerating toward Earth)

Jonesy77

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In my day, we had to cheat off of other classmates. Man, the world has changed

OP
SWJJ

SWJJ

Stop Resisting!
Reaction score
If it's in orbit, it shouldn't be accelerating... it should be at constant velocity.
So 0.

(Discounting the eventual drop to Earth, which I guess would mean that it is slowly.... very slowly... accelerating toward Earth)

acceleration is not just a change in velocity, but a change in direction as well.

The force that pulls the sat down towards the earth, instead of it flying straight into space, is the acceleration.

I dont want the answer jonesy, just how to set it up, I dont have the mass of the sat so I cant calculate it that way... not sure where to go..

taygolf

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
^^^ he does not know the mass only the distance.

For some reason this strikes me as a quick question if the satellite is just orbiting the earth with no acceleration other than the pull of gravity wouldn't the answer simple be 9.82m/s^2.

Or is it different since it is in space and not here on earth?

Just a thought to look at

T

OP
SWJJ

SWJJ

Stop Resisting!
Reaction score
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/A/accgrav.html

The acceleration that an object experiences because of gravity when it falls freely close to the surface of a massive body, such as a planet. Also known as the acceleration of free fall, its value can be calculated from the formula

g = GM / (R + h) 2

M should be the mass of the earth plus the mass of the sat, I will assume the mass of the sat is inconcesquential compared to the mass of the earth and work the proble set up like that..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom