Saints Pick one player (1 Viewer)

3-1 record, 72% completions, 37% of those for 1st downs, 8 total TDs with no OTAs/preseason games. Those are far from pedestrian numbers for any QB. Even if Winston wasn’t on the team. I would feel comfortable with Taysom at the helm. Just my $.02
See this is the slant on stats I'm talking about. You make his performance sound better than it was by cherry picking stats. Taysom has a fan club like Drew did that ignores the negatives of their play because they just want it to be him with the job.

He had 8TDs but only 4 were passing and 4 were rushing. He is a QB not a running back. His arm needs to throw more than 4 TDs to be successful in crunch time and lead a team for an entire season. One passing TD per game won't get it done.

He had 8TDs, but he fumbled 6 times and threw 2 picks. He could have easily had 8TDs and 8 Turnovers. In reality he had 8TDs and 5 turnovers. How in any realm is that impressive? Spread out over a 16 game season that would be 32 TDs and 20 turnovers.

He was sacked 13 times in 4 games yet his mobility is supposed to be his strong suit.

Then the no OTA reasoning doesn't fly with me because he's been on the team for years. That would be an acceptable excuse for Jameis as he was new to the team. But Taysom knows the playbook and played meaningful snaps for years prior to those 4 games.

I'm not bashing him or your opinion of him, but if you are going to use stats then show the whole picture not just the part that makes your point. In total he wasn't impressive and surely didn't perform at a level that earned him the starting gig this year. If he was as impressive as some on here say he was there would be no QB competition. He would have the job.

Last edited:
See this is the slant on stats I'm talking about. You make his performance sound better than it was by cherry picking stats. Taysom has a fan club like Drew did that ignores the negatives of their play because they just want it to be him with the job.

He had 8TDs but only 4 were passing and 4 were rushing. He is a QB not a running back. His arm needs to throw more than 4 TDs to be successful in crunch time and lead a team for an entire season. One passing TD per game won't get it done.

He had 8TDs, but he fumbled 6 times and thew 2 picks. He could have easily had 8TDs and 8 Turnovers. In reality he had 8TDs and 5 turnovers. How in any realm is that impressive? Spread out over a 16 game season that would be 32 TDs and 20 turnovers.

He was sacked 13 times in 4 games yet his mobility is supposed to be his strong suit.

Then the no OTA reasoning doesn't fly with me because he's been on the team for years. That would be an acceptable excuse for Jameis as he was new to the team. But Taysom knows the playbook and played meaningful snaps for years prior to those 4 games.

I'm not bashing him or your opinion of him, but if you are going to use stats then show the whole picture not just the part that makes your point. In total he wasn't impressive and surely didn't perform at a level that earned him the starting gig this year. If he was as impressive as some on here say he was there would be no QB competition. He would have the job.
Here’s a “whole picture” analysis for you. YES, TH7 had no OTAs or preseason games to take meaningful snaps AT QB. He HAS NOT been solely focusing on QB play in his years with us....FACTS!!! There is no cherry picking going on. Dude led us to a 3-1 record on the fly. In the middle of the season, while we needed to stay afloat for playoff seeding or playoffs in general, the guy did an admirable job. So you want to prorate his stats over the course of a full season at 32 TDs and 20 turnovers?!?! Ok, well let’s prorate what his record would be.....12-4. See, I can do that too. Ohhhhhhh.......but Jameis was in the Bucs system for how many years and managed to regress to the 30/30 club???? And he had better weapons at WR/TE than we had. Man stop it. I already said that I don’t care who wins and I don’t care how they get the “W”, as long as they get it. So, in Drew’s later years, chucking slant passes to MT (shattering receiving records) or dump offs to AK41 all game long is ok???? Sure, if it’s effective and the defense can’t stop it, then by all means, do it all game long. I’ll say it again, I don’t care if we win games only kicking FGs. Just win the game, that’s the only stat that matters in the end. Case closed

Last edited:

He had 8TDs, but he fumbled 6 times and thew 2 picks. He could have easily had 8TDs and 8 Turnovers. In reality he had 8TDs and 5 turnovers. How in any realm is that impressive? Spread out over a 16 game season that would be 32 TDs and 20 turnovers.

It isn't cherry picking stats. He has some sacks that were runs sniffed out by the defense and if a QB is tackled behind the LOS, it is a sack. One sack was him throwing it away. Hill's play was a big part OF those wins and if the D would have played better, he would have had a 4-0 record. It is about who helped lead to WIN, whoever it is. He played well in those wins and wasn't pedestrian. Knowing the offense and getting reps with the #1's for the first time as the sole QB is a WHOLE different ball of wax.

Not making this a Hill v Winston post, though. In general, yes Brees had some bad plays, as does any QB (the player who touches the ball almost every offensive play) but him underthrowing some balls, throwing an INT or a bad read/throw wasn't the majority of his play. He started because he gave us the best chance to WIN at the QB position and won us a LOT of games...almost on his own shoulders. Brees still injured played pretty good ball at the end of the season and did what he does...even old and broken down...LOL. You can't generalize taking a few bad plays and make that who the player is, that is cherry picking, if anything.

I do agree with you on the nature of why is there a competition. That is a valid question for anyone in the Hill or Winston club. Obviously, CSP wants to see what he has in Winston and still wants to see Hill's development progress and is definitely pushing both guys to make the cream rise to the top! If Hill was "THE GUY", he would just be named the starter. I think that would be a disservice to Winston.

I am so anxious to see the preseason games and beginning of the season on how things shake up.

Here’s a “whole picture” analysis for you. YES, TH7 had no OTAs or preseason games to take meaningful snaps AT QB. He HAS NOT been solely focusing on QB play in his years with us....FACTS!!! There is no cherry picking going on. Dude led us to a 3-1 record on the fly. In the middle of the season, while we needed to stay afloat for playoff seeding or playoffs in general, the guy did an admirable job. So you want to prorate his stats over the course of a full season at 32 TDs and 20 turnovers?!?! Ok, well let’s prorate what his record would be.....12-4. See, I can do that too. Ohhhhhhh.......but Jameis was in the Bucs system for how many years and managed to regress to the 30/30 club???? And he had better weapons at WR/TE than we had. Man stop it. I already said that I don’t care who wins and I don’t care how they get the “W”, as long as they get it. So, in Drew’s later years, chucking slant passes to MT (shattering receiving records) or dump offs to AK41 all game long is ok???? Sure, if it’s effective and the defense can’t stop it, then by all means, do it all game long. I’ll say it again, I don’t care if we win games only kicking FGs. Just win the game, that’s the only stat that matters in the end. Case closed
Told you I wasn't bashing you. I listed his stats in more complete fashion and you catching an attitude.

Your whole reply proves my point. You want Taysom to get the job. Either that or you are seriously trying to say that Taysom helping us to beat a 4-12 football team twice and a team that had no QB's is proof that he did something special. His loss came against a rookie QB. He won't face the worst ranked defense in football every week nor will he get to play a team without a QB every week.

Point is he didn't set the world on fire even having those easy situations to deal with. Face it man, his performance wasn't special by NFL standards. It was only special to you because he met your standard. of what you hoped he could do.

And for the record both Teddy and Taysom should buy the defense presents because in Drew's absence the past two years they played their best games and made both of those guys look better than they actually were.

Told you I wasn't bashing you. I listed his stats in more complete fashion and you catching an attitude.

Your whole reply proves my point. You want Taysom to get the job. Either that or you are seriously trying to say that Taysom helping us to beat a 4-12 football team twice and a team that had no QB's is proof that he did something special. His loss came against a rookie QB. He won't face the worst ranked defense in football every week nor will he get to play a team without a QB every week.

Point is he didn't set the world on fire even having those easy situations to deal with. Face it man, his performance wasn't special by NFL standards. It was only special to you because he met your standard. of what you hoped he could do.

And for the record both Teddy and Taysom should buy the defense presents because in Drew's absence the past two years they played their best games and made both of those guys look better than they actually were.

1.) Any QB making his first ever start/starts should be graded on a curve. I treat it like a “rookie” curve. Which, is a sensible thing to do. Especially, if he was not afforded the same reps leading into the season like a regular year probably would have given him. Covid threw a wrench in a lot of player’s progression.
2.) Doesn’t matter who he beat. You play who is on the schedule and divisional games are still tough regardless. If TH7 was only hitting slant passes or giving up the ball like Santa on Xmas, then why didn’t the Falcons beat him the second time around? I mean, by your account, his game (or lack there of) should be easy to defend.
3.) Your assertion of him being in our system for years, playing 5 different positions (taking way more snaps at other positions than at QB), somehow quantifies him as a ready made QB out of the gate is ludicrous. That is where the attitude comes from. Don’t give out a false take and preach it as gospel, while telling someone else they are “cherry picking”.
4.) Our team always lose against rookie QBs, so that’s nothing new.
5.) You are right, I DO want Taysom to win the starting job. But I also want Jameis to win as well. Which is what I said before, I don’t care who wins. I’m rooting for both. I don’t feel the need to get on here and defend Jameis bc 85% of this board has already crowned him. I will defend a guy that 85% has already dismissed for what I feel are asinine reasons. That one playoff loss to Minnesota, where Taysom was the only dang player that looked like he came to play, somehow almost willed us to a victory. He showed me something that day and I will put faith in him bc of it. Heck, I was furious that SP decided to put Drew back in the game. And what did the Minnesota players say after the game? “Man, we wanted no part of that guy”!!! If a playoff team doesn’t want any part of one man, then why do YOU not want him at QB??? Give me a guy that strikes fear into the opposition bc in the world of sports, then he has already won before taking the field. #knowledge

Last edited:
1.) Any QB making his first ever start/starts should be graded on a curve. I treat it like a “rookie” curve. Which, is a sensible thing to do. Especially, if he was not afforded the same reps leading into the season like a regular year probably would have given him. Covid threw a wrench in a lot of player’s progression.
2.) Doesn’t matter who he beat. You play who is on the schedule and divisional games are still tough regardless. If TH7 was only hitting slant passes or giving up the ball like Santa on Xmas, then why didn’t the Falcons beat him the second time around? I mean, by your account, his game (or lack there of) should be easy to defend.
3.) Your assertion of him being in our system for years, playing 5 different positions (taking way more snaps at other positions than at QB), somehow quantifies him as a ready made QB out of the gate is ludicrous. That is where the attitude comes from. Don’t give out a false take and preach it as gospel, while telling someone else they are “cherry picking”.
4.) Our team always lose against rookie QBs, so that’s nothing new.
5.) You are right, I DO want Taysom to win the starting job. But I also want Jameis to win as well. Which is what I said before, I don’t care who wins. I’m rooting for both. I don’t feel the need to get on here and defend Jameis bc 85% of this board has already crowned him. I will defend a guy that 85% has already dismissed for what I feel are asinine reasons. That one playoff loss to Minnesota, where Taysom was the only dang player that looked like he came to play, somehow almost willed us to a victory. He showed me something that day and I will put faith in him bc of it. Heck, I was furious that SP decided to put Drew back in the game. And what did the Minnesota players say after the game? “Man, we wanted no part of that guy”!!! If a playoff team doesn’t want any part of one man, then why do YOU not want him at QB??? Give me a guy that strikes fear into the opposition bc in the world of sports, then he has already won before taking the field. #knowledge
1.) It was his first starts, but he's 30 years old and had taken QB snaps and been in the game planning meetings for years as a QB. He knew the offense, coaching staff and players more than any rookie ever would. That's no where near comparable to a 22 year old kid getting his first starts. You are still making my point by using that plus Covid to excuse any lumps in his game, but you ignore Jameis having 3 head coaches and 3 offensive systems in his first 5 years which is the worst thing that could happen to any kid in his early 20's.

2.) So level of competition doesn't matter when it comes to Taysom? Divisional games can be tougher but they are not always tough. ATL was a 4-12 football team with the worst defense in football. We know them extremely well and all of that played to our advantage. It's evident by that being the two games he played best in. We felt we had a superbowl quality defense, ATL was the worst in the league arguably. Our Defense carried those games just like they did during Teddy's run.

3.) I'm stating my opinion based on the facts of his stats and what my eyes saw. You are making tons of excuses for him and ignoring the stats. Yes he prepares to play several positions, but I would assert that his reps, time in the meeting room, etc was in line with the amount of reps most 2nd string QB's get in practice. He was not a great pocket passer at the collegiate level and I haven't seen anything that would make me think that at over 30 years old he's finally going to develop skills that most are developing since childhood. This is my opinion and since nobody can predict the future nobody's word is "Gospel." I speak strongly about my opinions, but who shouldn't? That isn't a "false" take as my opinion is based off of his play and his stats in it's entirety.

4.) "Nothing New" about losing to a rookie QB. That I agree with, but a loss is a loss. That was the best opponent he faced in his 4 starts and he didn't do enough. That's the thing about the NFL. A QB will often times have to carry their teams to victory. Hurts played more like he should have as far as running ability and making throws when it mattered most. Hurts willed his team to a victory.

5.) In this one you just further prove my point about wanting Taysom to win the job for reasons that aren't production related. You don't want Jameis to win. That's just lip service so you can seem unbiased. Taysom showed you something in one game that makes you want him to be a long term starter? C'mon man. In that game he threw one 50 yard pass, had 4 rushes for 50 yards, and caught 2 passes for 25 yards, and scored 1 TD. While his plays were impactful, you are saying that a man having 125 yards of production and 1 TD showed you that he is ready to be a full time starter in the NFL. That game was 2 years ago and he only completed one gimmick pass. Has he had any game as impactful as that one since? Nope. Where was he in our last playoff game? Oh yeah he was hurt on the sidelines. Because over 30 year old QB's can't be runners in the NFL and expect to survive a 17 game season. He will have to win with his arm and that isn't the best part of his game.

I personally believe Jameis gives us the best chance to win over the course of a season. Simply because he has proven to be a better passer of the football and his style of play doesn't lend him to injury as much as Taysom's does. Taysom had an injury history in college and has been hurt at the pro level with limited touches. I like the idea of having a QB take over that could be our solution for many years. I see that upside as a potential of Jameis not Taysom. Just my opinion not "Gospel" as you say.

1.) It was his first starts, but he's 30 years old and had taken QB snaps and been in the game planning meetings for years as a QB. He knew the offense, coaching staff and players more than any rookie ever would. That's no where near comparable to a 22 year old kid getting his first starts. You are still making my point by using that plus Covid to excuse any lumps in his game, but you ignore Jameis having 3 head coaches and 3 offensive systems in his first 5 years which is the worst thing that could happen to any kid in his early 20's.

2.) So level of competition doesn't matter when it comes to Taysom? Divisional games can be tougher but they are not always tough. ATL was a 4-12 football team with the worst defense in football. We know them extremely well and all of that played to our advantage. It's evident by that being the two games he played best in. We felt we had a superbowl quality defense, ATL was the worst in the league arguably. Our Defense carried those games just like they did during Teddy's run.

3.) I'm stating my opinion based on the facts of his stats and what my eyes saw. You are making tons of excuses for him and ignoring the stats. Yes he prepares to play several positions, but I would assert that his reps, time in the meeting room, etc was in line with the amount of reps most 2nd string QB's get in practice. He was not a great pocket passer at the collegiate level and I haven't seen anything that would make me think that at over 30 years old he's finally going to develop skills that most are developing since childhood. This is my opinion and since nobody can predict the future nobody's word is "Gospel." I speak strongly about my opinions, but who shouldn't? That isn't a "false" take as my opinion is based off of his play and his stats in it's entirety.

4.) "Nothing New" about losing to a rookie QB. That I agree with, but a loss is a loss. That was the best opponent he faced in his 4 starts and he didn't do enough. That's the thing about the NFL. A QB will often times have to carry their teams to victory. Hurts played more like he should have as far as running ability and making throws when it mattered most. Hurts willed his team to a victory.

5.) In this one you just further prove my point about wanting Taysom to win the job for reasons that aren't production related. You don't want Jameis to win. That's just lip service so you can seem unbiased. Taysom showed you something in one game that makes you want him to be a long term starter? C'mon man. In that game he threw one 50 yard pass, had 4 rushes for 50 yards, and caught 2 passes for 25 yards, and scored 1 TD. While his plays were impactful, you are saying that a man having 125 yards of production and 1 TD showed you that he is ready to be a full time starter in the NFL. That game was 2 years ago and he only completed one gimmick pass. Has he had any game as impactful as that one since? Nope. Where was he in our last playoff game? Oh yeah he was hurt on the sidelines. Because over 30 year old QB's can't be runners in the NFL and expect to survive a 17 game season. He will have to win with his arm and that isn't the best part of his game.

I personally believe Jameis gives us the best chance to win over the course of a season. Simply because he has proven to be a better passer of the football and his style of play doesn't lend him to injury as much as Taysom's does. Taysom had an injury history in college and has been hurt at the pro level with limited touches. I like the idea of having a QB take over that could be our solution for many years. I see that upside as a potential of Jameis not Taysom. Just my opinion not "Gospel" as you say.
Oh boy, if you share your time in 4 different position rooms, then you are not solely prepping for one position. He may be part of the game planning, but for those years, he took reps mostly at HB, TE, and STs, along with some QB reps. That is not the same as any player that solely plays ONE position. You keep acting like Taysom has been just a QB here and that can’t be further from the truth. So, what if Jameis had 3 different HCs/OCs or whatever. Does that mean that he has to re-learn how to play QB each time? I’m sure it was always the OCs fault that Jameis threw a pick six right? I’ll say it again, I don’t care who wins, but I will back someone who shows me that he willing to lay it all out on the line, just to even get a first down. I ride with those kind of players and I will dang sure give them a fair shot.

I agree that Taysom performed admirably last year. If he does win the starting QB position, you can look for a much different offense than that of Brees or what Winston would be running. Winston and Taysom will be able to push the ball farther down field opening more room for Alvin and MT. Then there is Taysom running. Turnover histories can't be compared as Taysom has so few snaps at QB. I think TD to TO ratios for both will be better than their histories would indicate. The issue with Taysom was the fumbling issue. If he can straighten that problem out or if Winston really learned from Drew and is really coachable, I think we will be fine either way. I am pulling for who ever wins the starting job.

Rickey Jackson. # 57, City Champ. Probably, hands-down, the best Saints player ever drafted, due to his career longevity, accomplishments, the legacy and "aura" he engendered was to my generation of Saints fans, equivalent or similar to how Saints fans this generation feels towards Brees'. If you were a Saints fan growing up in the 1980's and 90's, Rickey Jackson carried a swagger, a confidence, yes, I would say "arrogance" to how his performances sort of became entwined with the Dome Patrol. Rickey Jackson, and I sincerely mean no disrespect to late Sam Mills, was the embodiment of the Dome Patrol for 7 seasons. Sure, it might've been a very good, maybe great defense if Mills, Vaughn Johnson or Swilling are there separately, but Mora needed #57 to make that 3-4 defense work so well so effectively as long as it did. He was the hard-drive, the Steve Jobs to Mills' Steve Wozniak/Bill Gates that made Saints such a great, winning franchise in the late 80's---early 90's the same way Brees will be rightfully identified with our great 06-20 Saints teams.

For any individual Saints fan over the age of 40, and I'm 41, recognizes and appreciates just how revered of a football figure Rickey was to us as Saints fans and Ive always suspected, there's a sub-sect of hard-core Saints fans who idolized him in a similar fashion in the late 80's and early 90's, that Archie never enjoyed in his Saints career in the 1970's, and only really Brees has managed to overtake in devotion and popularity.

Pat Swilling should thank his lucky stars every night before he goes to be because of Ricky Jackson. Teams intentionally didn't run at Jackson or run anything to his side of the field.

The Saints haven't had another one like him and it may be a very long time until they do if ever!

There's a reason why he's in the HOF....................yeah he was that good!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom